Any recommendation for a good online frame company?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Viathelens

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I don't know where Aaron Brothers (a photo and frame business) used to be located across the states but there was a shop in my area and I got all my frames there for many years until they went out of business a couple of years or so ago. The frames were great, a good price, good quality, wood, glass front, and they had a black backing that was solid. I've ordered frames a couple of times in the last year and found them lacking in one way or another. Most don't ship with glass but instead use acrylic. They don't appear to come with a solid black backing but instead a foam core white board. Even when they say "wood" it is very lightweight wood. I use them to hang in a gallery and for any photo shows that I'm in. I have started printing some images in metal and have tried some other types of printing but often I just need a good frame for a print on paper. I have mats that I preorder in a specific size so no need to have that included with the purchase.

So, I'm hoping someone uses an online shop that might work for me...any recommendations?

Last edited:
I don't know where Aaron Brothers (a photo and frame business) used to be located across the states but there was a shop in my area and I got all my frames there for many years until they went out of business a couple of years or so ago. The frames were great, a good price, good quality, wood, glass front, and they had a black backing that was solid. I've ordered frames a couple of times in the last year and found them lacking in one way or another. Most don't ship with glass but instead use plexiglass. They don't appear to come with a solid black backing but instead a foam core white board. Even when they say "wood" it is very lightweight wood. I use them to hang in a gallery and for any photo shows that I'm in. I have started printing some images in metal and have tried some other types of printing but often I just need a good frame for a print on paper. I have mats that I preorder in a specific size so no need to have that included with the purchase.

So, I'm hoping someone uses an online shop that might work for me...any recommendations?

Frame Destination, hands down. All US made, here in Dallas.

A few online framing shops I've heard good things about are Frame Destination, Frame it Easy and Mounting Boards. They seem to offer wood frames in standard sizes, glass vs acrylic options, and various backing materials like foamcore or gatorboard.

I usually get mine at Goodwill for a couple bucks each. Almost always never used and some very high quality. Amazing what some folks essentially throw away. Worth a visit if you have one close to you.

A few online framing shops I've heard good things about are Frame Destination, Frame it Easy and Mounting Boards. They seem to offer wood frames in standard sizes, glass vs acrylic options, and various backing materials like foamcore or gatorboard.
Thanks, I'll check these out. Most places simply offer a foam core backboard, generally in white, and I'm hoping to find a place that offers a better choice than foam core.

I usually get mine at Goodwill for a couple bucks each. Almost always never used and some very high quality. Amazing what some folks essentially throw away. Worth a visit if you have one close to you.
I am familiar with these types of stores and a frame from one of them might work out but I generally need new frames to sell at a gallery or art show that come complete with glass. My late husband was an artist and we often frequented these stores for antique frames as well as antique shops.

I am familiar with these types of stores and a frame from one of them might work out but I generally need new frames to sell at a gallery or art show that come complete with glass. My late husband was an artist and we often frequented these stores for antique frames as well as antique shops.
All good. Just thought I’d pass this along in case folks hadn’t thought of it as a source.

Thanks, all, for your recommendations. I have, in the past, ordered from AmericanFrame and just recently received an order from one of the other companies. All of the frames were fine, excepting when I ordered from Michaels. I'm just spoiled from years of getting frames from Aaron Brothers that had glass and a real backing board, not white foam core. I'll check all these companies out a bit more.

Just received another order from American frame and couldn’t be happier. The frames came wrapped, protected, assembled, with the mat, glazing, and backer in place, all at a reasonable price. Having the frames assembled is a nice touch and is a real time saver.

I get my framing done at Hobby Lobby. They have always done a quality job and offer museum quality glass which I use. Their custom frames are good enough for me.

Back