Anyone Else Heard About This?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DougC

Supporting Member
Marketplace
From the owners manual of the new 400mm Z f2.8 TC:

Warning
Do not use this product if you have a pacemaker or use other medical devices. The magnets in this product could cause medical devices to malfunction.

I have neither a pacemaker nor this lens but is the danger real?

Interesting. According to this FDA article some medical devices have a magnet mode that suspends operation while a magnet is near, so you can get an MRI and such. Says it goes back to normal when the magnet is no longer near.

Interesting. According to this FDA article some medical devices have a magnet mode that suspends operation while a magnet is near, so you can get an MRI and such. Says it goes back to normal when the magnet is no longer near.

When photographing a bird is life and you'd rather put your life support on lower priority than miss the shot. Nice :)

Reactions: Hut
Don't know about that lens, but I do know about my implanted defibrillator/pacemaker -- a magnet held near the device (it's in front of my left shoulder just below the collarbone as are most such devices) will turn it off for as long as the magnet's there. The device will also record the presence of the magnet and that will show up when the device is checked/tested. So, a camera and a lens with fairly powerful magnets hung on a neck strap might be near enough to have an impact on a defibrillator/pacemaker. Check with a cardiologist who's familiar with the device in question.

From the owners manual of the new 400mm Z f2.8 TC:

Warning
Do not use this product if you have a pacemaker or use other medical devices. The magnets in this product could cause medical devices to malfunction.

I have neither a pacemaker nor this lens but is the danger real?
Considering the size of the voice coil - my stereo speakers are many times larger.
Even the speakers on my PC have bigger voice coils.
And dont forget that the current flavour of the month the 100-400mm Z lens has voice coil AF...🦘

Yeah...buy a $14K lens just to go see if you can even safely use it....is that really feasible for anyone?
- On the positive side, if it is a problem, the hospital bill would likely make the lens seem inexpensive! :oops:

People with pacemakers: please don't take medical advice from photo forums where people want you to test the magnetic properties of your lens by seeing if your car keys stick to it.
- I get all of my medical advice off of the internet! Doesn't everyone? :p Actually, I once heard a doctor admit that they sometimes refer to medical sites online for backup and case resolution reinforcement; they also use books. It's similar to getting a second, or third, medical opinion without a visit to another office or facility.

Reactions: Roy
Back