Anyone tempted by the new Fuji X100VI

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Not really tempted myself. For small “pocket’ish” I have a Panasonic GM1 with a few pancake lenses (14mm f2.5, 20mm f1.7, 12-32 zoom). I also have the GX850 and GX9… the GX850 is slightly larger but has some more modern features and the GX9 is obviously larger but more feature rich. Before that I shot a original Canon M with the 22mm f2 lens and that actually might be my favorite although the low light was pretty bad in that generation sensor. I’ve thought about picking up an M200 just to use with that lens but I’ve resisted so far (since I have so many options for M43).

Not really tempted myself. For small “pocket’ish” I have a Panasonic GM1 with a few pancake lenses (14mm f2.5, 20mm f1.7, 12-32 zoom). I also have the GX850 and GX9… the GX850 is slightly larger but has some more modern features and the GX9 is obviously larger but more feature rich. Before that I shot an original Canon M with the 22mm f2 lens and that actually might be my favorite although the low light was pretty bad in that generation sensor. I’ve thought about picking up an M200 just to use with that lens but I’ve resisted so far (since I have so many options for M43).
Do you really like the gm1? Never heard of that model

For walk-around/travel/pocket/purse/etc. the Sony RX100 series compact pocket camera is very nice and has been very popular over the life of the RX100 series.

That most recent iteration is the RX100 VII - 20 mp 1" stacked CMOS sensor, Zeiss 24-200mm f/2.8-4.5 zoom, pop-up flash and viewfinder, EVF, great AF including eye AF, 4K HDR video, etc.

I popped for one just before Christmas and got the last one in stock at large regional camera dealer. At many of the big dealers they were unobtanium and Sony's USA web site currently shows it Out of Stock. It's not inexpensive but never-the-less I was surprised at it's capabilities.
I bought the RX100V when it first came out. It doesn’t have the zoom capability of the latest model, but it’s been great little pocket camera. I took a chance and left my D800 dslr home years ago for a tour of Great Britain. The RX100 was up to the task.

Do you really like the gm1? Never heard of that model

I haven't had it that long but so far so good. Paired with one of those pancake lenses and I think it may be the smallest MILC there is. What I do notice (because it is dated) is that it's slower to operate (menus etc) compared to something like the GX850. Of course with either one of those you don't get a view finder so that can be a deal-breaker for some but doesn't bother me.

Sample shots from the GM1, GX850 and M

P1010731_1500-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

P1000678_1500-2.jpg

IMG_2362_1500.jpg

I have an X100V and have an X100VI on order. Also have an XPro2 and Zf, and had an XT30 and XT5 and a pile of 43 and M43 bodies. So I’m into the compact bodies. :)

If you like 35mm lenses, the X100 is the best thing going. Yeah, you can get a bit shorter DOF or more resolution from other options, but nothing comes close to how compact the X100 is. It’s not that a Zf and 40/2, or XPro and 23/2 aren’t also small cameras. The difference is that the shape of the X100 is almost flat, so it‘s actually comfortable around the neck, and it easily fits in a jacket pocket. Not “I can cram it in there”, but “I forget it’s there”.

Add to that the fun-to-use controls, the OVF, and rock-solid build, and it’s a really seductive camera to use.

You definitely don’t need an X100. But if you can be happy going out shooting with just a 35mm lens, it’s a camera you want to use.

If they sold an X100 in other focal lengths, I’d buy those too.

I have an X100V and have an X100VI on order. Also have an XPro2 and Zf, and had an XT30 and XT5 and a pile of 43 and M43 bodies. So I’m into the compact bodies. :)

If you like 35mm lenses, the X100 is the best thing going. Yeah, you can get a bit shorter DOF or more resolution from other options, but nothing comes close to how compact the X100 is. It’s not that a Zf and 40/2, or XPro and 23/2 aren’t also small cameras. The difference is that the shape of the X100 is almost flat, so it‘s actually comfortable around the neck, and it easily fits in a jacket pocket. Not “I can cram it in there”, but “I forget it’s there”.

Add to that the fun-to-use controls, the OVF, and rock-solid build, and it’s a really seductive camera to use.

You definitely don’t need an X100. But if you can be happy going out shooting with just a 35mm lens, it’s a camera you want to use.

If they sold an X100 in other focal lengths, I’d buy those too.
Probably take years to get one now lol

Yeah, it’s hard to parse the supply/demand numbers. I think we all have features we wanted from the new camera, but Fuji got the best new feature of all: increased factory output.

But this camera is such a huge poster child that surely a lot of demand is scalpers now. In my dreams, their initial supply bubble is enough that there’s a small amount of supply very soon, and all the scalpers panic and give up. In reality it’s probably going to be like the Playstation 5 all over.

Perhaps Fuji’s best defense is to put out a new model every year to devalue old stock. ;)

Yeah, it’s hard to parse the supply/demand numbers. I think we all have features we wanted from the new camera, but Fuji got the best new feature of all: increased factory output.

But this camera is such a huge poster child that surely a lot of demand is scalpers now. In my dreams, their initial supply bubble is enough that there’s a small amount of supply very soon, and all the scalpers panic and give up. In reality it’s probably going to be like the Playstation 5 all over.

Perhaps Fuji’s best defense is to put out a new model every year to devalue old stock. ;)
Yeah it’s a shame that people do that because it just prevents someone from getting one that will actually use it.

Fuji Rumors was reporting that they have a lot higher production rates for this one so might not be as bad. It’s still tempting me but I haven’t decided as how much use it would get will greatly depend on what my travel plans will look like over the next two years.

Fuji Rumors was reporting that they have a lot higher production rates for this one so might not be as bad. It’s still tempting me but I haven’t decided as how much use it would get will greatly depend on what my travel plans will look like over the next two years.
I wonder how it will handle noise being 40mp in a crop sensor

I had moved close to London so I was looking for a "street camera". Fuji is the obvious choice but I didn't like the feel of it in the hand, so I purchased a Ricoh which I liked and still like.
The Fuji certainly has "extras" over and above the Ricoh. There's a good comparison this week over on DPR (on the landing page).

I had moved close to London so I was looking for a "street camera". Fuji is the obvious choice but I didn't like the feel of it in the hand, so I purchased a Ricoh which I liked and still like.
The Fuji certainly has "extras" over and above the Ricoh. There's a good comparison this week over on DPR (on the landing page).
Oh, OK I did not know that was a Ricoh model. I really haven’t heard much about those little cameras to be honest. So you seem to like it pretty good is the image quality in those cameras pretty decent?

It'll be good, similar to the XT5. The issue for you will be the lens and the AF. You're used to chunky glass with the best AF on the market. The Fuji colors are also very good, to my eye third to Canon and Nikon.

I had an X-T4 and X-T5. The 40mpix sensor is definitely noisier. If you compare at 1:1, the 40mpix doesn’t look great by comparison. But when you view at an output size (ie: 11x14, or zoomed to fit your monitor), the 40mpix sensor is sharper and shows no more noise.

You just have to remember that you’re in for a wild ride if you look at a 100% crop at ISO6400. :)

Back