Anyone using any of the ETZ adapters?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have the first version and never had any problems. I put the adapter on the lens and then put the lens on the camera. I suppose the camera is not turned on when I do this.

Not hype. It works nearly as good as native lenses in my experience, but some lenses are better. Longer teles, 100-400, 200-600, 600GM work near flawlessly. The downside is the failure rate. Has not happened to me, but you need to be careful with the order of when you take the adapter on/off.
What’s the correct order?

O>K I'm conflicted. So are the comments about the adapter based on V1 or V2? As models change the bugs get worked out. Are there any reports similar to the standard Steve does to answer this? I do not doubt people had problems but I would to see data one way or another both technical and reported failures with the Z9 for this adapter.
The reviews I read on B&H where people had failure was with version 2.

There are 8 reviews on B&H for the second version, and none mention failure. The main complaint seems to be a tight fit/difficult to mount. Other than that, and a couple posts about being unable to update firmware, there are no performance issues or failure reports. One person mentioned a problem with missed AF rate.

Also of note, so far the discussion has been centered on the Venus Optics ETZ. Fotodiox and Techart both sell one as well. Reviews on the Techart aren't good and there's only one on the Fotodiox, so not enough of a sample size to get a good idea. All are priced the same. The Fotodiox comes with a cap that allows connection to update firmware. It sounds like the others depend on the camera/card combination.

I've never had a Fotodiox with electronics before, but I've used many of their dumb adapters and have had good luck. Odd as it sounds, I would be more likely to trust them over the other two, and I like the lens cap firmware connection.

Regarding ETZ21, there are currently eight reviews on B&H. Three of those reviewers state the adaptor is very difficult (too tight) to mount or unmount on a Z8 or Z9, but oddly not that difficult to mount on a Z5 or Z7.

Edit - I see now that Comatose mentioned same thing above. What is odd is that there WERE reviews stating failure rate (I know because I was seriously looking at this adaptor previously), but now those reviews are gone. Unless they had posted reviews of the older version (ETZ11) under the new version (ETZ21) before?

Followup: I just looked again at B&H doing a search on Megadap. There is a listing for Megadap ETZ21 that says discontinued (and further info including the 21 posted reviews are no longer visible). There is another listing (the one in DealZone) for Venus Optics Megadap ETZ21 (the one with eight reviews that state tight fit but do not state failure). Looking at the product photo there are subtle differences: black mount knob on old one, silver mount knob on new (Venus) one, brass colored connecting pins on old one, brass circles with black centers on connecting pins on new one. So maybe Venus Optics bought them out and improved the design?
megadap.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

One more followup. Reading Q&A on B&H product listing, they state another difference is the new Venus version does NOT have a USB port for firmware updates (and presumably the discontinued non-Venus version did).

One more followup. Reading Q&A on B&H product listing, they state another difference is the new Venus version does NOT have a USB port for firmware updates (and presumably the discontinued non-Venus version did).

B&H and all internet reviews are rigged. I wouldn't put any weight on any.

B&H and all internet reviews are rigged. I wouldn't put any weight on any.
Seven of the eight reviews have a checkmark from B&H stating "verified buyer" which means they have an account and bought the actual item from B&H. Just curious why you would think these are rigged?

I also review products I use and hotels I stay at on the internet and I can assure you my reviews are honest and unbiased. So it seems like a stretch to state that ALL internet reviews are rigged.

Seven of the eight reviews have a checkmark from B&H stating "verified buyer" which means they have an account and bought the actual item from B&H. Just curious why you would think these are rigged?

I also review products I use and hotels I stay at on the internet and I can assure you my reviews are honest and unbiased. So it seems like a stretch to state that ALL internet reviews are rigged.

The platform picks what's shown and what's not, and skews the ratios to the positive or to what's in stock. Try posting a 1-star anywhere.

Me and my partner, we both have a new Megadap ETZ21. I often use it with Zeiss Batis 18/2.8 on Z-kameras (Z9, Z30) and he is using 200-600 from Sony. We made a speed test on two Z9 cameras with Sony's 200-600 and Nikon 100-400 and Sony was even a bit faster. So, speed is ok!
But to be honest, I don't like bokeh of Sony 200-600 and therefore I want to buy Nikon 180-600. But everybody has her or his own taste for that.
I like Auto-fokus funky stuff like Zeiss what the Sony has and Nikon - not. This is really a special glass and works perfectly. So, I love my Megadap :)

Just curious why you think the Nikon bokeh will be better than the Sony? I mean the lens specs are virtually identical.
I have simply tested Sony against Nikon and Sigma. The best bokeh is actually by Sigma, more soft. Sony has most busy bokeh.
Bokeh is a property of lens design and glass quality. It has nochting to do with specification. But talking about specification - Sony has 24 elements in 17 groups and Nikon 25 elements in 17 groups. The elements are also different. Nikon has 1 aspherical and 6 ED elements. I didn't find for Sony but the constriction looks different.
For example, Zeiss is famous of its bokeh: the unsharp plane comes immediatelly (abrupt) after the sharp plane. The sharp object pops-up. The glass elemnts have special quality (like lead inside the glass).
Some old Nikon lenses and Takumars had radioactive thorium in the glass elements, for example. That made them also special.
I noticed that Nikon Z-lenses have also very nice bokeh. Maybe it can be improved by lens-profile (corrections) as well. As we know the corrections are made in the camera, Nikon cameras don't make corrections for non-native glass.

Back