Anyone using the Benro Mammoth (TMTH44C) tripod?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi all!

I'm currently looking to invest in a new tripod, as my old one (a tiny $50 wobbly thing) needs to be replaced to properly support my D500 + 200-500mm.

During my search I encountered the Benro Mammoth (TMTH44C), which seems very nice (and within my budget)
(the link is to the UK website, because on the USA site I could only find the combo with the WH-15 head)

I really like this one because it has a max height of almost 63inch, is made from carbon, and the few reviews I could find are all very positive.

Is there anyone here that has one of these, or has used one in the past? Because there's a few things I'm still wondering.

1) Would it be high enough for me? I'm +-6ft tall, so if I combine the Mammoth with the 3 Legged Thing Airhed Pro, would the combo be high enough to see through my viewfinder while still standing straight?
2) The leveling bowl head seems really nice, but is there a way to 'lock' it in place so it behaves like a fixed plate? (seems odd having to look for a straight position when the tripod itself is on a level surface)

If anybody knows a similar tripod (that's available in the EU) that would also fit my needs (tall + sturdy enough, -€500, unless head is included, no center column)) I'll gladly look those up as well!

(apologies if my English isn't perfect, it's not my native language 🙃)

Welcome to BCG!

The tripod you are asking about is VERY heavy.....2.25 kg/5 lbs. You don't mention how you would use the tripod - just out of the car, hiking, studio work or ???? It might be good for studio work but would be tiring to move it around very much.

Regarding height: Measure from your eyes to the ground. Then compare that number to the extended height of the tripod plus the height of the head plus the height of the camera.

Regarding height: Measure from your eyes to the ground. Then compare that number to the extended height of the tripod plus the height of the head plus the height of the camera.
Based on this measurement I'd need one that's at least 155cm tall, thanks for that tip!

The tripod you are asking about is VERY heavy.....2.25 kg/5 lbs. You don't mention how you would use the tripod - just out of the car, hiking, studio work or ???? It might be good for studio work but would be tiring to move it around very much.
I hadn't really thought about the weight that much, because almost all tripods I found that go over 150cm are approx. 2kg
I don't think I'd use it for long hikes atm. But eventually I might start looking into going on hikes (once I can add a proper gimbal to put on the tripod.

One of the main reasons I'm looking for a tripod is because I want to try out some Landscape photography, maybe some architectural work, so I need something solid so I can use long shutter speeds. But it would be nice if at some point I could also use it for wildlife/nature photography as well.

I have a RRS TVC24L (tall) that is about 1.7 kg. I use it for wildlife, architecture and landscapes. It is expensive but should last a lifetime. Carbon fiber tripods are lighter but more expensive.

Have you looked at Benro, Gitzo and other brands?

Karen has some good points and any tripod you select should serve the intended purpose. To answer your question regarding the leveling bowl, they are helpful in situations where the tripod is difficult to level because of uneven terrain and is much faster to accomplish than adjusting multiple, individual legs. FWIW, I use a flex-shooter pro head which has sort of a built in equivalent and it's quick and easy to use to achieve a level.

There are so many brands of tripods out there and some of them are obscenely expensive (think Gitzo, RRS, etc.) You are likely to receive a lot of recommendations and unfortunately, without seeing or using them it is difficult to assess the quality and/or ease of use. If you're looking at the Mammoth, another one to consider is the slightly less expensive Robus line including the 4-section (lighter) 5560 which I think is around 60", or the 5558 (3-section, about the same weight). I think they are on par with the older Induro line (solid, reliable, middling price) which ironically were picked up by Benro.

Have you looked at Benro, Gitzo and other brands?

Yeah, I've looked at Gitzo and RRS, but unfortunately those are way out of my budget..

One new option I found is the Leofoto Ranger LS-365C (the CEX version has a leveling base, but gets close to double the price) for the same price as the Mammoth.
Downsides are the (only) goes to 152cm (which I could maybe compensate with the head?) and doesn't have the leveling base (which I could also compensate with another head in the future?)

On the other hand it weighs only 1.77kg (compared to 2.25), it folds to a min length of 48cm (compared to 57) and its lowest usable height is 8cm (compared to 14).

Leofoto Ranger LS-365C

Would that be more broadly usable?

Also looked up a new head, found this one Leofoto VH-30R Head.
Looks like that would also be more stable and usable in more situations than the 3 legged thing Ballhead?

Last edited:
Regarding height - you are very tall. Get used to the idea that you will probably have to bend over a bit. Especially if you are aiming up (birds, sky, etc) because then the camera viewfinder will be pointed down. Having a tiltable LCD really comes in handy in those situations. Head height doesn't generally vary a whole lot and there are more important things to consider like ease of operation, smoothness, features, weight, price etc.

It seems that I can't get Robus from Belgium (unless I pay $100+ on shipping + import taxes)
looks like nice gear though!

Having a tiltable LCD really comes in handy in those situations.
My D500 has a tiltable LCD, so it could be nice, but the autofocus gets real crappy when not using the viewfinder, so then maybe I'll bend over until I get another body 🙃

Head height doesn't generally vary a whole lot and there are more important things to consider like ease of operation, smoothness, features, weight, price etc.
It's about 2cm difference, so it helps to make up for the slightly shorter tripod. Aside from that this other head actually has friction control + I'm assuming/hoping it won't be as wobbly/hard to control as a ballhead that's suddenly loose (or maybe I only have experience with bad ballheads). It's more expensive, but I think it's worth it considering the benefits it has (aside from the little extra height)

Hi all!

I'm currently looking to invest in a new tripod, as my old one (a tiny $50 wobbly thing) needs to be replaced to properly support my D500 + 200-500mm.

During my search I encountered the Benro Mammoth (TMTH44C), which seems very nice (and within my budget)
(the link is to the UK website, because on the USA site I could only find the combo with the WH-15 head)

I really like this one because it has a max height of almost 63inch, is made from carbon, and the few reviews I could find are all very positive.

Is there anyone here that has one of these, or has used one in the past? Because there's a few things I'm still wondering.

1) Would it be high enough for me? I'm +-6ft tall, so if I combine the Mammoth with the 3 Legged Thing Airhed Pro, would the combo be high enough to see through my viewfinder while still standing straight?
2) The leveling bowl head seems really nice, but is there a way to 'lock' it in place so it behaves like a fixed plate? (seems odd having to look for a straight position when the tripod itself is on a level surface)

If anybody knows a similar tripod (that's available in the EU) that would also fit my needs (tall + sturdy enough, -€500, unless head is included, no center column)) I'll gladly look those up as well!

(apologies if my English isn't perfect, it's not my native language 🙃)
Hello, I have the exact same tripod (Benro Mammoth)- had it for a month or so & I really like it. I tend to use it with my Nikon 600mm f4G VR + D500 + gimbal combo (the lens is a heavy beast @ c.5kg!), and have had some good results with it (by my standards anyway), without any major vibration/stability issues etc. I’m also approx. 5’11 and I would say that the height is more than adequate for my needs (but I always use it with my gimbal which adds some height, but I can leave the bottom bit unextended & still get it to almost eye level with the gimbal), although might be a different story if say, you want to use it on cliff sides w/o a head! The levelling head is pretty sturdy once locked in place (there is a knob underneath that you can twist to lock it in place).

I was planning on buying a 2nd hand Gitzo 3series, but saw this on sale during X’mas & managed to get it for c.£300 (you also get a nice carry case with it + some metal spikes etc). Obviously, I cannot compare it to a Gitzo as I’ve not used it, but I’d say it’s pretty good value for the money (then again I’ve only had it for a month!). Hope this helps, but let me know if you need any further info.

Attachments

• IMG_9018.jpeg
    IMG_9018.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9017.jpeg
    IMG_9017.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 54
I go to the BH Photo website to read reviews by others that have purchased an item. In particular the negative reviews that mention problems with the design or use or durability of an item. Far better to read reviews by actual purchasers that are already online to read.

I purchased a Benro Mammoth Tripod with WH15 Head kit, largely based on Moose's review. It was the head I was more interested in for video work. The tripod legs were a bit bulky compared to my existing Gitzo legs, but the head failed a key test for me in that I could not mount my audio recorder under my camera and rotate the head, the design did not have enough clearence. I sent mine back and received a full refund.

Last edited:
Hello, I have the exact same tripod (Benro Mammoth)- had it for a month or so & I really like it. I tend to use it with my Nikon 600mm f4G VR + D500 + gimbal combo (the lens is a heavy beast @ c.5kg!), and have had some good results with it (by my standards anyway), without any major vibration/stability issues etc. I’m also approx. 5’11 and I would say that the height is more than adequate for my needs (but I always use it with my gimbal which adds some height, but I can leave the bottom bit unextended & still get it to almost eye level with the gimbal), although might be a different story if say, you want to use it on cliff sides w/o a head! The levelling head is pretty sturdy once locked in place (there is a knob underneath that you can twist to lock it in place).

I was planning on buying a 2nd hand Gitzo 3series, but saw this on sale during X’mas & managed to get it for c.£300 (you also get a nice carry case with it + some metal spikes etc). Obviously, I cannot compare it to a Gitzo as I’ve not used it, but I’d say it’s pretty good value for the money (then again I’ve only had it for a month!). Hope this helps, but let me know if you need any further info.
There's this little button on the side next to the one leg (visible on your first picture)
I've seen it on other pictures as well, what does that do?

There's this little button on the side next to the one leg (visible on your first picture)
I've seen it on other pictures as well, what does that do?
I’ve not had to use that button yet, but just had a look within the manual & apparently that’s the safety button to remove bowl adapter BA7510 (basically you have to press that to release the adapter).

If you're looking for best performance, usually fewer sections mean greater stability. Personally, I would avoid a 5 section tripod if your serious about dropping large lenses on it as there will be too much wobble and flex. In general, I'm not a big fan of Leophoto but that's for another discussion. Given that you live in Belgium, the Benro might make more sense and the price is fairly competitive.

Mammoth is nice, considering what you get for the price. In general benro is a nice brand- I was very happy with benro Tortoise 34CLV - a cheaper and not much worse version of CEX leofoto tripods.

If I were you I would look at:
ranger LS-364CL - from USA (check the import duties) - long version of ranger tripod, you can always equip it with a leveling base LB-65. Their ranger pro range is cool too, but lacks long version (source: leofoto usa and ebay auctions).
Benro 34clv - very cheap compared to leofoto, good quality (same manufacturer) the clv has a leveling base built in
I went for lm-324cl - a summit tripod, I will have to add either a bowl or leveling base. It is systematic, super high and seems to be solid enough for heavy lenses.

I also considered mammoth, BUT - it was actually more expensive than the leofoto lm-324cl, and even more expensive when those tripods were on sale in Germany. Even 404C or 404CL were cheaper. So I went for LM-324cl (I was late with that purchase decision for other tripods, that one was/is still fro sale in Poland), which is/was cheaer than mammoth.

Last edited:
Since 2021 I have been using a 3 Series Leofoto using 75mm head, the LM322C. The helpful agent allowed me to test out several models, including heavier models. I find this lighter tripod does the job with heavy lenses using heavy duty gimbals.

Considering their cost, Leofoto legs score fairly well in the stability tests by the Center Column. The better quality is clear compared to Sirui and other Chinese brands, including the bolts etc

Last edited:
The Leofoto LN-364C tripod was my choice of tripod when I decided to buy one. I am happy with it, although YMMV. It is solid and tall (63 inches before adding a head) and it's a system tripod. This last point was important to me because I don't use tripods very often, but when I do I use them for widely differing purposes -- macro, studio work, video, landscape, and birding. As a system tripod, I am able to get a center column for studio work, a 75mm half bowl adaptor for video, a tiltable center column for macro work, and a 75mm half-bowl leveling base for landscape work, while I can just use the flat tripod plate without a center column for birding. I also got a set of long spike feet for landscape on the beach. I'm sure most system tripods have a similar range of options for them.

As someone else mentioned, I would be wary of five-segment legs. Four is at the outer limit of my tolerance for joints (I also have a very tall old Induro tripod that has only three segments. It's even more robust than the Leofoto, but it is very long when fully collapsed, so it's not very practical for taking with me. The four-segment tripod collapses down to a very manageable 2-foot length.) My tripod -- without head, column, etc. weighs about five pounds. I don't go hiking with it (or any other tripod), so that's not an issue for me. If you're more of a hiker than I am, you might want to give thought to the weight, though. To my mind, the weight is about the only thing I would lift up as a negative with this rig.

I should mention that the tripod seems to vary in price dramatically depending on where you buy it. Oddly, B&H charges around $500 for the basic tripod. The more common price is around $400, and I bought it from a well-rated ebay camera store for $320. So do shop around if you decide to buy it. FWIW

The Leofoto LN-364C tripod was my choice of tripod when I decided to buy one. I am happy with it, although YMMV. It is solid and tall (63 inches before adding a head) and it's a system tripod. This last point was important to me because I don't use tripods very often, but when I do I use them for widely differing purposes -- macro, studio work, video, landscape, and birding. As a system tripod, I am able to get a center column for studio work, a 75mm half bowl adaptor for video, a tiltable center column for macro work, and a 75mm half-bowl leveling base for landscape work, while I can just use the flat tripod plate without a center column for birding. I also got a set of long spike feet for landscape on the beach. I'm sure most system tripods have a similar range of options for them.

As someone else mentioned, I would be wary of five-segment legs. Four is at the outer limit of my tolerance for joints (I also have a very tall old Induro tripod that has only three segments. It's even more robust than the Leofoto, but it is very long when fully collapsed, so it's not very practical for taking with me. The four-segment tripod collapses down to a very manageable 2-foot length.) My tripod -- without head, column, etc. weighs about five pounds. I don't go hiking with it (or any other tripod), so that's not an issue for me. If you're more of a hiker than I am, you might want to give thought to the weight, though. To my mind, the weight is about the only thing I would lift up as a negative with this rig.

I should mention that the tripod seems to vary in price dramatically depending on where you buy it. Oddly, B&H charges around $500 for the basic tripod. The more common price is around $400, and I bought it from a well-rated ebay camera store for $320. So do shop around if you decide to buy it. FWIW
I would not be concerned with 5 section tripod .... unless you plan to use the 5th section all the time. From time to time use it's allright. Usually 5 section tripods are not the longest ones either ... so if you need a tall tripod manufacturers offer usually longer (collapsed) 4 section tripods (lm-324cl, lm-404cl etc) and I totally agree with your reasoning, for 100% use at 100% height 5 sections are not the best idea. If you shoot mainly from chair hide, seldom shoot birds on higher branches, 5 sections may do. It would be perfect if for comfortable work with a head(gimbal?) only 4 sections set up are needed.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've looked at Gitzo and RRS, but unfortunately those are way out of my budget..

One new option I found is the Leofoto Ranger LS-365C (the CEX version has a leveling base, but gets close to double the price) for the same price as the Mammoth.
Downsides are the (only) goes to 152cm (which I could maybe compensate with the head?) and doesn't have the leveling base (which I could also compensate with another head in the future?)

On the other hand it weighs only 1.77kg (compared to 2.25), it folds to a min length of 48cm (compared to 57) and its lowest usable height is 8cm (compared to 14).

Leofoto Ranger LS-365C

Looks like that would also be more stable and usable in more situations than the 3 legged thing Ballhead?
You need a tripod that is taller than the minimum. When you are on a hill and the legs are not level you will lose height. I use my tripod in the woods a lot and I think Steve mentioned that you need a tripod taller than you think because of hills ditches ect ect. I have found it to be true. If you are shooting on level ground all the time then the minimum height is fine.

I ended up getting a super tall 3 series carbon Gitzo about 15 years ago and it still works as good as new. Considering what I spent on cameras and bodies over the years the cost over the long term for a quality tripod has been a sound investment.

I am 6-3 and I found that I needed something extremely tall. If you have to shoot pointed upwards and the legs are on an uneven surface you will end up needing a lot more height than you would think working level. I ended up getting pretty close to the tallest Gitzo 3 series and I never regretted that decision. I have yet to encounter a situation that my tripod can't handle.

It is important that you be able to get the tripod into a position where you can comfortably use it without having to bend over. You need to be comfortable, sometimes tripod sessions can get very long and sometimes you are working at night in less than perfect weather.

Key issues for any tripod are stability, ease of adjustment and durability. Those are hard to determine from short term reviews by random users. Cheaper tripods use less durable clamps and adjustment rings and those wear out faster. How can you effectively determine stability without formal objective side by side testing? This is a dilemma we all face when choosing gear. That uncertainty has led many of us to stick with quality brands such as RRS and Gitzo.

Quality heads are also very important. I have used cheap ball heads and struggled with keeping the camera in position. I now have a
RRS BH-55 and it is a joy to operate.

Does the tripod allow for flexible positions? You might want to shoot low which may mean extending the legs out farther. My tripod has a three-stage arrangement where the legs can extend out so they are almost horizontal.

I have not at this point gone with a self-leveling head. I generally don't shoot video or panorama and I can adjust camera level either from the camera itself or in post so it has not been much of an issue for me. I may yet test out leveling, my tripod has a level bubble but getting the tripod level in the field is a slow process.

Leofoto Ranger LS-365C

I can't speak on the Benro legs because I've never seen them, but I've been very pleased with the Leofoto products I've used before (I have NOT used one of their tripods).

I use Gitzo 5 series legs and, yes, the prices for Gitzo are outrageous, but it will probably last a lifetime. Mine is 20+ years old and still works like it's brand new, and I've used it A LOT in a lot of harsh environments.

One bit of useful advice when looking at tripods & heads - DON'T CHEAP OUT, or you'll end up spending more in the long run and still be dissatisfied. I learned that the hard way.
Wen I purchased my Gitzo legs, there was not a lot of other options like there are today. There are some excellent leg options today where you can get a set of quality legs for much less, but when it comes to heads, I would still be very careful. IMHO, the best head out there (within reason) is still the RRS BH-55. It's not cheap or fancy but it's absolutely rock solid, and that's what you want.

Good luck in your search!

Back