Apple M3

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I’ve been a long time Apple user, probably close to 15 years now and I’ve always enjoyed the Mac experience. I currently own a 27 inch iMac, which is one of the last Intel machines. Up until a few days ago, I also had a M1 MacBook Air 13 inch that I used for traveling and doing most other things other than photo editing. I decided I wanted a little larger screen so I purchased an M3 15 inch MacBook Air this week and all I have to say is wow! The one I got has 16 GB of Ram 512 GB SSD so nothing super fancy but I am absolutely astonished how well this machine will handle 4K video and photo editing. It is really made me rethink my path forward for whenever my iMac dies. Honestly, someone could use this machine with a second monitor as a primary editing rig, or at least that’s my opinion. I most likely will go back to a laptop once the desktop dies and use a second monitor, which is what I did for many years prior to buying the iMac. Point of the post is if you can contemplated buying one of the new M3 machines, I don’t think you will regret it.
Thanks so much for posting this info. I have the Air M1 13" 16/512 for travel and have been trying to decide if I should get the M3 15" Air or wait on the M4. I think you have prodded me to not wait. appreciated.....

Thanks so much for posting this info. I have the Air M1 13" 16/512 for travel and have been trying to decide if I should get the M3 15" Air or wait on the M4. I think you have prodded me to not wait. appreciated.....
It’s pretty much night and day over my 13inch m1. I was able to sell the 13 inch for just shy of $700 which is another good aspect of Apple because they do hold their value quite well and I’ve had that laptop for 2 1/2 years.

I looked into getting a MBP with an M3 max but it is expected that Apple will bring out the M4 towards the end of the year.
It is not urgent to replace my current MPB (intel processor) so time is on my hand :)
Yeah, I feel the same about my Intel iMac. It’s a late 2020 in the last group of machines built with that processor and it works great. I hope to use it for another few years.

While Apple guarantees support for 6 years (7?); this does not mean the your computer will no longer work--and continue to work as it did in years 1-6.
We all know that this means that the latest and greatest software development cannot be supported by the older equipment. So what? We buy cars for much more and there are significant design changes and upgrades that pass us by. I never have heard a complaint about that.
The key here is that the product continues to perform as designed and expected far longer than their 'support/upgrade' period. This is one of the reasons that many of us are with Apple. We are running three 2013 MacBook Airs in Boot Camp for a business that requires a proprietary Windows program. They work flawlessly. And this was after purchasing 2 'budget' PC laptops first--that didn't last 6 months.
Mac costs more than PC....not in the long run.

While Apple guarantees support for 6 years (7?); this does not mean the your computer will no longer work--and continue to work as it did in years 1-6.
We all know that this means that the latest and greatest software development cannot be supported by the older equipment. So what? We buy cars for much more and there are significant design changes and upgrades that pass us by. I never have heard a complaint about that.
The key here is that the product continues to perform as designed and expected far longer than their 'support/upgrade' period. This is one of the reasons that many of us are with Apple. We are running three 2013 MacBook Airs in Boot Camp for a business that requires a proprietary Windows program. They work flawlessly. And this was after purchasing 2 'budget' PC laptops first--that didn't last 6 months.
Mac costs more than PC....not in the long run.
In my situation it really doesn’t matter that much with the software except on one machine I want the latest with Final Cut Pro because several of the new features haven’t been added to the intel machines. Other than that I’ll keep using the iMac until it dies.

I am strongly tempted to pick up either a MacBook Pro or Air.

I have a question, is the screen resolution better on the Pro compared to the Air? I was thinking the 14 inch on the Pro versus 15 inch on the air.

I currently have both a Microsoft Laptop i7 and a Razer 16 with i9 and 4k OLED screen. Both of those PC screens are pretty good for viewing and editing images. The Microsoft Laptop is getting old and the keyboard is wearing out. The Razer is about three years old and still works fine, but it is big and relatively heavy and has short battery life. I have to go back to them from time to time to get something done, I am still learning Mac conventions and every now and then I find myself unable to do something that is simple to do on the pc.

For convenience I recently got the IPad Pro 12 inch screen. It works fine for viewing and copying images onto an external drive but it is not very useful for photo editing.

I have a question, is the screen resolution better on the Pro compared to the Air? I was thinking the 14 inch on the Pro versus 15 inch on the air.

I currently have both a Microsoft Laptop i7 and a Razer 16 with i9 and 4k OLED screen. Both of those PC screens are pretty good for viewing and editing images. The Microsoft Laptop is getting old and the keyboard is wearing out. The Razer is about three years old and still works fine, but it is big and relatively heavy and has short battery life. I have to go back to them from time to time to get something done, I am still learning Mac conventions and every now and then I find myself unable to do something that is simple to do on the pc.

For convenience I recently got the IPad Pro 12 inch screen. It works fine for viewing and copying images onto an external drive but it is not very useful for photo editing.
Not really sure on the screen but the resolution isn't much more on the pro but is LED from what I remember. Honestly looking at them side by side, I can't tell much difference in image quality.

I think the Air doesn't have a cooling fan so what's your use case? Travel only? For use at home as well might consider the MBP?

I’m still waiting to replace my 2017 iMac 27” with a new one,

last rumour…

(updated article from 16th July 2024)

Is Apple Releasing a New 27/32-inch iMac Pro?

In 2022, Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted that a new iMac Pro would come back to life. The prediction didn’t come to pass as Apple decided to usher in only Mac Studio with the 27-inch Studio Display. Kuo went quiet on the new iMac release until late 2023 when he predicted again that Apple may ship a 32-inch mini LED display iMacin 2025.
https://www.techopedia.com/news/imac-pro-release-date#:~:text=A new iMac Pro may,with a 32-inch display.
2025 is yet to come, so we shouldn’t be in a hurry to write his prediction off, but it is not only Kuo who sees a larger display iMac in Apple’s future.

I’m still waiting to replace my 2017 iMac 27” with a new one,

last rumour…

(updated article from 16th July 2024)

Is Apple Releasing a New 27/32-inch iMac Pro?

In 2022, Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted that a new iMac Pro would come back to life. The prediction didn’t come to pass as Apple decided to usher in only Mac Studio with the 27-inch Studio Display. Kuo went quiet on the new iMac release until late 2023 when he predicted again that Apple may ship a 32-inch mini LED display iMacin 2025.
https://www.techopedia.com/news/imac-pro-release-date#:~:text=A new iMac Pro may,with a 32-inch display.
2025 is yet to come, so we shouldn’t be in a hurry to write his prediction off, but it is not only Kuo who sees a larger display iMac in Apple’s future.
That would be nice. The iMac display to me looks better than the current studio display. the Current 24 inch iMac is too small for my liking.

The resolution is slightly higher on the pro. The bigger difference will be the pro uses a mini-led display that is 100 nits brighter in SDR mode than the air but has also the ability to go to 1600 nits in hdr mode. You will get deeper blacks with the pro. As mentioned above, the air also does not have active cooling so you are more likely to experience thermal throttling. They are both great but depending on your use case you may have a need for the pro.

The resolution is slightly higher on the pro. The bigger difference will be the pro uses a mini-led display that is 100 nits brighter in SDR mode than the air but has also the ability to go to 1600 nits in hdr mode. You will get deeper blacks with the pro. As mentioned above, the air also does not have active cooling so you are more likely to experience thermal throttling. They are both great but depending on your use case you may have a need for the pro.

Thanks for that.

I saw some deals on the mb pro under 2k. Not sure how much upgrades I need

Thanks for that.

I saw some deals on the mb pro under 2k. Not sure how much upgrades I need
With the M3 MacBook Pro they now offer it with the standard M3 chip, the M3 Pro chip, and the M3 Max chip in the 14” and Pro and Max chips in the 16” version. Then you have to decide if the binned chip is fine or if you want to pay more for a slight performance increase of the non binned. I keep everything on external SSD so don’t upgrade storage but others will tell you to max it out. I’d recommend at least 16GB RAM for anyone doing photo or video, more if you run multiple editing apps, lots of layers or tracks, or even a lot of apps open while editing.

I like MaxTech reviews on YouTube to see the performance differences between the different versions. They run the same test on each computer and the test include video and photo exports. I didn’t look at the M3 reviews too much because I’m happy with my M2 MacBook Pro. I think the base 14” MacBook Pro with the M3 Pro is a good bargain but it all depends on personal use. You can usually find them for a couple hundred off and if you sell it in 3-4 years to buy the then current base you get a new current computer for about the same price, or less, than adding a lot of upgrades to one and keeping it for 5+ years.

Last edited:
Back