Apple Photos app.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jeffnles1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Guys and gals,
Taking a stab here. I just updated to Mac OS Ventura. Prior to this, dating back to I think Snow Leopard, Photos app has uploaded and synched Nikon RAW (.NEF) files to iCloud seamlessly.
After the update to Ventura, it is not uploading NEF files to iCloud. JPG files are uploading and synching across devices fine but not the RAW files. The camera is a Nikon D500 and it is one that is supposedly supported.

Anyone have thoughts? Yes, I did contact apple support. Nice fellow but essentially he said leave the computer on overnight and call tomorrow if it hasn't cleared up. He didn't seem to hear/understand this has been going on for a few days since I did the upgrade.

Jeff

Full delete of my previous post- the NEF raw file synced and now shows on my phone correctly marked as a raw file. But wow, that took a while to sync one photo.

Last edited:
I don't use iCloud for photos, as I am rural/remote and can't get a truly high speed connection and it would take too long (weeks) to upload my libraries. That said, I remember that at the initial start of a previous MacOS version where Apple implemented the AI indexing of photos to make "Stories" and otherwise sort the images in ways the user didn't ask for, all things Photos were sluggish, almost unusable for a few days til the AI algorithm running "in the background" but still stealing all the cycles got finished. I wonder if something similar isn't happening now, as Ventura is supposed to add Family sharing libraries and other "features". Maybe the Apple Support guy backed into the right answer. That said, I am glad that Ventura added the Nikon Z9 to the Raw Support list. Finally.

Hope your issue clears up soon!

jim

Thanks guys. I'm going to play with it some more. This morning it said the 2 did not synch but I see one of them on my phone as RAW. It is wonky for sure.

I imported another NEF file this morning and it is taking forever to synch. Whatever is going on it is not good. If it takes 18 hours to upload a single RAW file and then failed on the second one, it's a bad thing which is making my usual Photos workflow almost unusable now. If it is a bug I hope Apple can fix it soon. I'm going to call Apple again probably Monday. They gave me a case number so at least I may not have to go through the 20 questions part again.

I'll respond here if I see a change. Man this is kind of strange how it works. Any ideas of things to try I'm all ears.

Last edited:
OK folks, here is something really strange. As background, this all started with the update to Mac OS Ventura. All worked fine prior to this update.
When I import a NEF file into Photos it will not synch. Photos app says "Synching X files" where "X" is the number of NEF files I imported.
After 18 hours, it said it could not upload "X" files and I verified they were not on my synched devices.
I deleted the files and imported a couple again. Same thing this time, I edited one of the files and then clicked "edit - undo edit" in the menu bar.
After undoing the edit, it uploaded immediately and the RAW file shows on my synched devices.
I tried it again and it worked.

I believe this is a bug in the new Photos app with Ventura. Something about the edit/undo edit is allowing it to upload.

I will call Apple and tell them but I'm not expecting a lot of immediate action as they are slow. Perhaps it will be a fix in the next bug fix update.

Jeff

Back