Applying order Denoise and CA in Ĺightroom

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The order you do things doesn't matter as long as it is within lightroom. Lightroom doesn't create an actual image file such as tiff until you export. Even with the DNG from the denoise you can alter settings previously set. But what do you mean by CA? Are you talking about lens corrections?

Last edited:
Sorry, chromatic aberration. Sometimes I get blue and/or orange lines along zones w contrast, say a white bird on a dark background. LR offers an automatic or manual tool to correct this. I don't understand how it works, it does "something" 🤔🙂

I created a preset which applies lens corrections and CA correction on import, so that happens automatically first. Havent found any issue with using the denoise feature after that. (Also found that only very occasionally have I needed to make further manual corrections to CA)

The order you do things doesn't matter as long as it is within lightroom. Lightroom doesn't create an actual image file such as tiff until you export. Even with the DNG from the denoise you can alter settings previously set. But what do you mean by CA? Are you talking about lens corrections?
Thanks Bill
That's true but what I'm seeing in my monitor is what will happen when I render the image. Then the order is set. My question is if there is any consequence in applying those settings in this or that order. I confess that I don't see any but my knowledge of how the CA correction works, even in the theory, is zero:confused:
Not that I need to know THAT but, just as an example, I apply denoising before I apply sharpening and I believe that I know why :censored:

I created a preset which applies lens corrections and CA correction on import, so that happens automatically first. Havent found any issue with using the denoise feature after that. (Also found that only very occasionally have I needed to make further manual corrections to CA)
Thans KirstyM.
Yes that's how I do it as well (without the preset).

I think whatever order you do it is fine up to the point you export. When you export the changes would be baked in. So if you apply lightroom sharpening or lens corrections before the denoise and found it was too much after it came back as a DNG you could still reverse it. I agree it makes sense to denoise first so you get a good look at it, but it can be reversed. The denoise can only be applied to the raw so the order is fluid until exporting.

I guess I wouldn't preset the CA correction since it is related so much to aperture, happening more the more wide open you are shooting.

Last edited:
Back