APS Elements > APS Classic LR Question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Have been using Elements for several years and thinking about switching to APS Classic LR. Have 4 of Steve’s books and they are GREAT! Do have a question in regard to “BCG Lightroom - Course 1”.
Is the information in Course 1 fully up to date or are there some updates to Classic that aren’t covered? Did talk to Adobe in regard to leaving APS Elements 2023 “as is” or transferring it to APS Classic. They told me I should leave it as is, and “start anew” with Classic, as it is a different program and there would be issues with “catalogue”, as it can’t be moved or renamed - I found that last year and had a mess! They said if I get a new computer, I can do a “backup” and have Elements on the new computer and they would be available to “come on line with me” and help wit conversion. Stressed to me the importance of doing regular backups!

Bottom line - will Course 1 give me a full introduction and teach me what I need to know about LR Classic, or should I just stay with Elements, that doesn’t have all the features? Thanks!

Last edited:
Not everything but great start. That’s what got me to start with LRC. Julianna Kost videos are free and will get you very far along as well. Also buy The Lightroom Queen book and you’ll go very far. Also Adobe Help pages have useful info.

Have been using Elements for several years and thinking about switching to APS Classic LR. Have 4 of Steve’s books and they are GREAT! Do have a question in regard to “BCG Lightroom - Course 1”.
Is the information in Course 1 fully up to date or are there some updates to Classic that aren’t covered? Did talk to Adobe in regard to leaving APS Elements 2023 “as is” or transferring it to APS Classic. They told me I should leave it as is, and “start anew” with Classic, as it is a different program and there would be issues with “catalogue”, as it can’t be moved or renamed - I found that last year and had a mess! They said if I get a new computer, I can do a “backup” and have Elements on the new computer and they would be available to “come on line with me” and help wit conversion. Stressed to me the importance of doing regular backups!

Bottom line - will Course 1 give me a full introduction and teach me what I need to know about LR Classic, or should I just stay with Elements, that doesn’t have all the features?
I don't think that Elements can even be compared to LrC or LR. I use LrC, the Classic version for desktop use and have used it for about 14 or so years. I also use a lot of other software for photography, too. I don't think any of the current software packages provide the same array of choices that Adobe does. LrC is actually seven modules of software in one package called Lightroom. The photo organizing ability of LrC really can't be matched with any other software on the market today. I process images and organize them in the Library Module, create professional-looking photo books in the Book Module, create slide shows with sound in the Slideshow Module and print cards and photo prints from the Print Module. I can work on one photo in LrC, then quickly transfer it to Topaz DeNoise and work on it, then quickly transfer it back to LrC and all of the images are stored side-by-side in LrC. I could go on...I caution you to read up on how to use the software prior to using it...here is a link to the LrC (desktop) version manual...https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/user-guide.html.

Back