Arctic Fox posing like it is in a dog show and looking right at me

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

cr_wildlife

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Having posted a number of bird photos, I thought I would show that I am a wildlife photography by posting something else! This is a picture of an Arctic Fox. Arctic Foxes come in two color morphs, white and blue. The white morph is light grey with a brown back in the summer and white in the winter. The blue morph is charcoal grey to dark brown in the summer and lighter, but not white, in the winter. Why “blue”, when they aren’t blue, is not clear to me! The blue gene is dominant to the white, but up to 99% of these foxes are white, as the blue gene is uncommon. However, in isolated populations, the blue morph "takes over", making the blue morph
7F5189B3-C32B-496F-874A-203438E5AC56.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
more common on islands. On St. Paul Island, where this photo was taken, all of the foxes that we saw, about 10, were blue morphs.

Nice image. Looks like he spotted you and froze mid-stride. I think calling them "blue" comes from the color first being seen(by Europeans) during the long arctic night when they were only lit by the moon :rolleyes:

The island is small and the foxes are a bit habituated, but I think it was wondering what I was doing lying in the ground!😄As to calling them blue, that’s as god an explanation as I’ve heard.

Thank you very much, Fred! I looked up the Glacier Blue Black Bear. Currently listed as a subspecies with a limited range. The genetics of the coloration has not been determined.

Wonderful shot. I wonder if, like my mostly black (Portuguese Water) dog whose skin was definitely 'blue' under the black hair if that's where the name comes from?

Back