ARCTIC REINDEER- CRITIQUE

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I had the extreme pleasure of taking a trip of a lifetime to the arctic last year. The wildlife was outstanding, and the landscape majestic.

These two were quite interested in us, so I grabbed a few shots. I would appreciate any input on the shot, no worries about feelings.

2022-05-15 QUARK LANDING TWO REINDEER STANDING SIDE BY SIDE ON HTE ICE ON SVALBARD NORWAY IN T...jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

From looking at the legs, the image should be rotated clockwise. They look like they're listing to starboard enough that they might fall over -- few mammals would willingly stand that way for long, even if they could. Otherwise it's a nice photo, well exposed and good composition -- it's a keeper.

Thanks for sharing.
Suggestions:
I would have considered photographing from a lower angle, depending on the background, to help create more subject separation.
I prefer less image contrast/hdr.

Depending on what you are going after; completely 100 true shot or with some minor enhancement.

If using LRC:

Modify perspective as other suggested.
Vignette set to 11
Use a masking brush on the eyes, with the the preset for IRIS enhance.

Haha.. I was going to suggest going the other way and “out-cropping” if the OP had room, to emphasise the “nothingness” around them… just goes to show what a personal choice editing is!
I was debating which way to go on it. Thinking the background may not have been interesting, I thought cropping in was in order. If the background was really vast then opening the crop as you said would be good too. I tend to not zoom as far these days and show more environment but I do also shoot some wildlife portraits too.

Back