Are you a portrait or action photographer?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Do you consider yourself more of a portrait, photographer, an action, photographer, or a mixture of

• Portrait

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Action

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Mixture

Votes: 35 58.3%

• Total voters
For as long as I've been photographing critters (over 50 years now) I've been primarily a portraitist, probably because I shot film for over 30 years and there were only 36 or 37 shots on a roll before you had to rewind the film, open the camera, insert a new roll, close the camera's back and get back on the subject -- if it was still there. Action shots were difficult and expensive, you folks who've never shot film don't know how good you've had it. Besides I have slow reflexes.
I shot some film cameras as a child and you're right with it getting expensive. With the condition of my arms, panning with a large lens can be very difficult and usually have to use a monopod or tripod for those subjects.

The video side of things is really fun too. I really gotten a lot more interested in it the last three or four years and it certainly opens up a lot of opportunities that you can’t capture with photography. There’s definitely a learning curve, but it’s certainly a lot of fun.
I would do video but I fear I would have a hd space issue.

For as long as I've been photographing critters (over 50 years now) I've been primarily a portraitist, probably because I shot film for over 30 years and there were only 36 or 37 shots on a roll before you had to rewind the film, open the camera, insert a new roll, close the camera's back and get back on the subject -- if it was still there. Action shots were difficult and expensive, you folks who've never shot film don't know how good you've had it. Besides I have slow reflexes.
I still only shoot in short burst as a carry over from my film days. 😉

I really want to shoot action but most of my shots on the wall are portrait, so I answered mixed.

When I am walking around my camera is setup for action with a high shutter speed, but action opportunities are few and when action happens, I usually don't get most of the desired image in the frame.

Tom

I'm as much interested in light, color and composition as in whether the subject (bird or mammal) is sitting for a portrait or doing something interesting. I voted mixture because whether the opportunity is for a portrait or for activity is secondary to light, color & composition.

It's an interesting question. Over the past month, I've been mainly photographing small birds. They never perch for long, so as much as I'd like to make a portrait, I frequently end up with unintended action. That seems to be the common thread with kinglets, brown creepers, and warblers.

I voted mixture because my process of shooting a subject is as follows:

1) Find a new subject to shoot and get a sharp, unobstructed shot of the subject (e.g: Heron on a branch).

2) Try to take interesting portraits and environmental shots of the subject. (E.g: Heron with reflection in water and a dark backgroun).

3) Observe/learn it's habbits until I know what interesting action shots I could take.

4) Try and take those action shots. (E.g: Heron catching food).

5) Come up with some specific interesting action shots.(e.g: Heron flipping a frog mid-air while a blue sky is reflected in water, using some branches/leaves to form a frame around the bird).

6) Only shoot that specific subject when I can create an interesting image... I don't need another image of a heron on a stick, butvan image of a heron on a stick with multiple other herons in the background, ideally as it takes off... yes.

Now this process can take 30 mins or it can take years, depending on how friendly the subjects are.

I voted mixture because my process of shooting a subject is as follows:

1) Find a new subject to shoot and get a sharp, unobstructed shot of the subject (e.g: Heron on a branch).

2) Try to take interesting portraits and environmental shots of the subject. (E.g: Heron with reflection in water and a dark backgroun).

3) Observe/learn it's habbits until I know what interesting action shots I could take.

4) Try and take those action shots. (E.g: Heron catching food).

5) Come up with some specific interesting action shots.(e.g: Heron flipping a frog mid-air while a blue sky is reflected in water, using some branches/leaves to form a frame around the bird).

6) Only shoot that specific subject when I can create an interesting image... I don't need another image of a heron on a stick, butvan image of a heron on a stick with multiple other herons in the background, ideally as it takes off... yes.

Now this process can take 30 mins or it can take years, depending on how friendly the subjects are.
I’ve always wanted to get a full diving sequence of a kingfisher but have only managed to get certain aspects over the years

I find I do more portrait style than action. I’ll certainly get action if I have the chance but I don’t spend my time trying to make that happen. I don’t go looking for action shots. I seem to find myself looking for more serene scenarios.
Same here, I like the more serene situations.

My favorite type of photography is action or motion. I'm constantly watching to see what is going on where and if a subject moves then I'm taking the shot. I try to focus on action, interaction, and gesture. Many of my shots are about one of these things, so I'm always alert for any kind of movement that might show the animal was in motion, stepping, jumping, running, etc. I do take portrait shots if nothing else is going on or if a background is just too nice to pass up. I have quick reflexes so this helps me to catch the action when it's needed. I think having quick reflexes is very important if someone wants to catch action because you just don't get a second chance or the opportunity for a do-over most of the time.

Neither. Your choices being limited to two shooting genres, I find the question invalid.
Not sure how you find it invalid. There are only two scenarios in photography, regardless of genre one is shooting non-moving subjects and the other shooting moving subjects. There is no other option so not sure what you mean unless you know something about physics that I’m not aware of.

I consider myself a mixture, have done both but Portrait is my least favorite. I much rather be shooting action in wildlife , stage, or field I guess because I don't receives complaints. People being posed for portraits is not my idea of enjoyment. Free style is more the way I prefer to shoot .
Z62_3607-Edit-1_pe.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I consider myself a mixture, have done both but Portrait is my least favorite. I much rather be shooting action in wildlife , stage, or field I guess because I don't receives complaints. People being posed for portraits is not my idea of enjoyment. Free style is more the way I prefer to shoot .
View attachment 84914
Very nice! I’ve only seen the black squirrels a couple times in Michigan

Not sure how you find it invalid. There are only two scenarios in photography, regardless of genre one is shooting non-moving subjects and the other shooting moving subjects. There is no other option so not sure what you mean unless you know something about physics that I’m not aware of.
I've been known to make portraits of mountains.

denali.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back