Are you ok with AA filter bodies for shooting wildlife?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I also had a D800E. As I recall they did not remove the OLPF/AA filter but rather added a second filter layer that "cancelled the effect"(Nikon's wording). They actually added an additional layer in the optical path rather than removing one. So the DxO test might be the best example we have but is not truly a comparison of the same sensor with/without a filter. When the D7100 came out it had no filter. To date my favorite Nikon bodies for pure IQ(given adequate light) were the 71/7200. They were also the highest pixel density sensors other than some of the "consumer level" cameras.

As explained a couple of posts above there are other ways to generate aliasing(aka moire) effects in the digital world. Once or twice I've managed to resize images just right/wrong such that moire effect showed up in bird feathers displayed on my monitor.

yes, same cancellation method used by canon in the 5DS / 5DS R a little later.

Moire is usually a patterned rainbow effect on highly consistent lines or grids just at the edge of in focus areas. There is usually a nearby sharp area, and with higher resolution cameras, the detail is excellent. But if you have a very detailed grid or line pattern that extends to barely out of focus areas, in some cases that area shows moire. It's most common in manmade patterns because of the consistency - a metal or shingled roof, fabrics, or window screens. It can show up in feathers, but is uncommon. It's very rare in fur or hair.

If you have a high resolution image, you can create moire through resizing or downsizing and image that did not have moire originally. In this case the in focus area is reduced in size having the effect of creating a barely out of focus pattern. These patterns are usually resolved by changing the resizing algorithm. In Lightoom, the algorithm for downsizing is a bit of a blackl box and can't be changed (to my knowledge). In Photoshop it's easy. Normally Bicubic Sharper is used in Photoshop, but you usually can eliminate moire by choosing another option such as Bicubic, Bicubic Smoother, or even adjusting Preserve Details to soften the image.

Sometimes the graphic card and video driver create moire on a monitor by resizing an image to fit your screen view. In this case you can ignore the moire because it's unlikely to show up elsewhere, but you can verify that by zooming in for a closer look at the file. There usually is no moire zoomed in and magnified because the algorithm for resizing has changed.

I also had a D800E. As I recall they did not remove the OLPF/AA filter but rather added a second filter layer that "cancelled the effect"(Nikon's wording). They actually added an additional layer in the optical path rather than removing one. So the DxO test might be the best example we have but is not truly a comparison of the same sensor with/without a filter. When the D7100 came out it had no filter. To date my favorite Nikon bodies for pure IQ(given adequate light) were the 71/7200. They were also the highest pixel density sensors other than some of the "consumer level" cameras.

As explained a couple of posts above there are other ways to generate aliasing(aka moire) effects in the digital world. Once or twice I've managed to resize images just right/wrong such that moire effect showed up in bird feathers displayed on my monitor.

Wow, that's some good intricate info.

I was wondering if the intensity or severity of the AA filter varies from one AA filter camera to another AA filter body. Or is it all standardized?

I was wondering if the intensity or severity of the AA filter varies from one AA filter camera to another AA filter body. Or is it all standardized?
As I understand it the filter has to be made specifically for a given sensor. Based on the pixel pitch of the sensor the filter is designed to remove/alter the wavelength of light that will cause problems.

Yes, there are a range of AA filters out there and there's no single standard design. Also as Dan posted above the amount of low pass filtering varies by wavelength so it's not unusual to have better Moire suppression on the green channel relative to the green or blue.

Moire is usually a patterned rainbow effect on highly consistent lines or grids just at the edge of in focus areas. There is usually a nearby sharp area, and with higher resolution cameras, the detail is excellent. But if you have a very detailed grid or line pattern that extends to barely out of focus areas, in some cases that area shows moire. It's most common in manmade patterns because of the consistency - a metal or shingled roof, fabrics, or window screens. It can show up in feathers, but is uncommon. It's very rare in fur or hair.

If you have a high resolution image, you can create moire through resizing or downsizing and image that did not have moire originally. In this case the in focus area is reduced in size having the effect of creating a barely out of focus pattern. These patterns are usually resolved by changing the resizing algorithm. In Lightoom, the algorithm for downsizing is a bit of a blackl box and can't be changed (to my knowledge). In Photoshop it's easy. Normally Bicubic Sharper is used in Photoshop, but you usually can eliminate moire by choosing another option such as Bicubic, Bicubic Smoother, or even adjusting Preserve Details to soften the image.

Sometimes the graphic card and video driver create moire on a monitor by resizing an image to fit your screen view. In this case you can ignore the moire because it's unlikely to show up elsewhere, but you can verify that by zooming in for a closer look at the file. There usually is no moire zoomed in and magnified because the algorithm for resizing has changed.
Good info.

Back