Are you Photographing the Total Solar Eclipse?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Here are some of my shots. I know nothing comparing to all the beautiful shots that other shared here. It is my first total eclipse that I have witnessed and my photos, even they are far from being good, they will always remind me of this magic moment.
 eclipse-3.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
 eclipse-4.jpg
 eclipse-10.jpg
 eclipse-8.jpg
 eclipse-12.jpg
 eclipse-14.jpg
 eclipse-17.jpg

Here are some of my shots. I know nothing comparing to all the beautiful shots that other shared here. It is my first total eclipse that I have witnessed and my photos, even they are far from being good, they will always remind me of this magic moment.
View attachment 86579View attachment 86571View attachment 86578View attachment 86572View attachment 86574View attachment 86575View attachment 86577
These are really excellent, very very good. Nothing to be ashamed about here at all. Very sharp, and you see tons of details. Impressive.

This ought to be useful, he is a really good teacher. In a nutshell he uses free transform to move the objects around (ctrl t) and chooses screen as the blend mode so the top layers don't hide the lower ones:

Last edited:
This ought to be useful, he is a really good teacher. In a nutshell he uses free transform to move the objects around (ctrl t) and chooses screen as the blend mode so the top layers don't hide the lower ones:

I will watch this video! It is going to be big help for me. Thanks for posting this link

I went to Mazatlan for the big event. There were LOTS of people whose goal was to photograph the eclipse. It was an impressive display of advanced photo/telescope technology. From watching and listening to these people I realized that there are "nerds" (not meant pejoratively) for everything, including every type of photography. For many of these people (yes, mostly guys) eclipse photography is their "thing," just as bird or mammal photography is a thing for some of the rest of us.

I did not photograph the event (I shot a few pathetic images with my iphone, mostly for a lark). In 2017 I futzed over my camera-with-solar-filter and I felt I missed out on the "experience" of the eclipse. That's me; it's just not my bailiwick. But what I realized from Mazatlan April 8 at 11ish am is that the key was/is to set up the photography to be automated during the actual event. It was kind of a 'duh' moment for me. One could/can end up with fantasic photos of the eclipse sequence and one can experience it in real time.

I'm still not going to do this, should I somehow get the opportunity again (Spain 2026? Egypt 2027? It will be a madhouse!) But I understand the appeal and it was fascinating to watch these photographers set up their gear and to see the wonderful results.
Doug Greenberg

Back