Are you Photographing the Total Solar Eclipse?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Well, in addition to the cookieclipse I did also manage to get a couple photos of the sun. Findlay Ohio, April 8, 2024
Eclipse 2024.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Cookieclipse was much more dramatic and breathtaking...

I kid, of course! These are stellar, Jeff! And you captured the diamond ring.
I agree, the Cookieclipse was intense to say the least (and pretty darn tasty too. :) )
I almost missed the diamond ring. I was so amazed at what I was seeing I almost forgot to capture the image. With all the people cheering and the unique quality of the light, I pretty much was standing there with my mouth open in amazement. We saw the totality in 2017 in Nashville TN but this one lasted longer.

Last edited:
We had clear skies, got some decent photos. With so many really good to great shots posted here, I will keep mine family and Facebook. I can post a view of my solar panel production for yesterday. I am sure you can identify the eclipse period.
Thank all for the beautiful shares and images captured!

Solar.jpeg

Last edited:
We had clear skies, got some decent photos. With so many really good to great shots posted here, I will keep mine family and Facebook. I can post a view of my solar panel production for yesterday. I am sure you can identify the eclipse period.
Thank all for the beautiful shares and images captured!
Ours looked similar. While I was busy thinking about photos of the eclipse, my husband was thinking about our solar production during the eclipse. 😄He has two eclipse photos: one of us outside watching the eclipse and a screenshot of the solar app. 😂

It was a little nerve wracking in Texas. We were planning on going to Kerrville, but the weather forecasts weren’t great. So we decided to go to Brady. Only 2 minutes of totality but that’s better than 4 minutes of clouds. Arrived in Brady at 9:30 and went to a local park. We were the 6th car in the lot. As a surprise, my in laws from Florida also showed up as they were in Austin. Cloudy at first but getting better and better as the morning progressed. At 1st contact it was clear blue skies with occasional high clouds. By totality, there were still a few clouds and the park was packed. I was using a Z9 with the 600mm PF. I had tried auto focus the previous week with the full sun and a solar filter, and it worked great, so I used it here with no issues.
I had observed the 2017 total eclipse but was using an old Nikon bridge camera At the time. It did ok, but I had no idea how this setup would work. I was pleasantly surprised.
NZ9_5927.jpeg
NZ9_6256.jpeg
NZ9_6334.jpeg
NZ9_6252.jpeg
I still need to figure out how to develop a progression of the eclipse. Overall a great trip! One somewhat negative aspect is my wife took a look at the images out of Lightroom, and made the comment that it doesn’t look like I need to update my kit!

Mine, no raw, no post processing, jpg out of camera, cropping only, Shot through cirrus clouds, so not sharp as I would like.

IMG_4512.jpeg

IMG_4506.jpeg

IMG_4513.jpeg

IMG_4503.jpeg

IMG_4538.jpeg

IMG_4539.jpeg

IMG_4540.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4517.jpeg
    IMG_4517.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I bracketed 9 frames 1 stop apart all the stages of the eclipse, I am trying to process them now and I don’t know how. I read in this thread that some of you did bracketing. I use Lightroom and Capture One as my process software. How can I put them all together to make one well exposed photos? My first time with bracketing. Thanks for helping

I bracketed 9 frames 1 stop apart all the stages of the eclipse, I am trying to process them now and I don’t know how. I read in this thread that some of you did bracketing. I use Lightroom and Capture One as my process software. How can I put them all together to make one well exposed photos? My first time with bracketing. Thanks for helping

If you have lightroom you also have photoshop? That would be the easiest with layers and layer masks.

I don't know capture one, but does it do layers?

In LR you select all the photos from a bracket, right click and choose PhotoMerge->HDR. Easy as that

I bracketed to get a range of exposures, not to necessarily combine, but to get a variety of exposures during rapidly changing moments, (Bailey Beads and Diamond ring, prominences). But you have to have started with a generally predicted starting point to do what I did. As mentioned above, it is pretty easy to put bracketed images together for a blended image.

I bracketed to get a range of exposures, not to necessarily combine, but to get a variety of exposures during rapidly changing moments, (Bailey Beads and Diamond ring, prominences). But you have to have started with a generally predicted starting point to do what I did. As mentioned above, it is pretty easy to put bracketed images together for a blended image.
I did exactly the same. But I thought if I. O mine few image, maybe the image will improve. I think that what I understood from some review.
thanks for your reply

Back