Are you Photographing the Total Solar Eclipse?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The below image is from the annular eclipse with a solar filter. You can clearly see different a solar filter has over a 9 stop ND. Also, I realize my shutter and ISO settings are way off from the 2017 shots above. I clearly didn’t pay proper attention when I shot it.

Z9A_7345.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I'm going back and forth on whether to try to photograph the eclipse. I've never seen a total eclipse before. I watched the 2017 eclipse from Missouri and was 15 seconds from totality when the sun clouded over. Tantalizingly close.

My son and I are going to Dallas to watch the eclipse. Hope the weather will be good. I have a 16.5 stop Nisi solar filter for my Z 600 mm PF, so I could take photos before, during, and after totality. But I think I may not. I want to make sure to experience it and am afraid I might miss that if I am fiddling with camera gear.
Yes, one of the major reasons I'm not going to attempt to take photo's is I've never seen a total eclipse and would much rather enjoy it.
Now, if I get another chance then I'll break out the gear.

For those planning to use ND filters on non-mirrorless cameras, make sure they also filter UV and IR.

Edit: Unless you use live-view. Also, 16.5 stops is the minimum recommended.

Last edited:
Z-8 with 600 mm, D-850 with 85mm & filters, Cancelled on Texas, opted for Boston & travel to Burlington, Vt area...knowing the weather is a BIG if..... but a vacation with wife...priceless

A total solar eclipse will occur across a broad swath of North America in exactly one month, on April 8th, and I’m interested in trying to capture the event. Fortunately, I live along the path of totality, so will be ideally situated. Have you done this sort of thing before and, if so, what tips do you have about how best to obtain the best images? I’ve never done solar or astrophotography, so am not entirely sure where to start. At the very least, I know that I’ll need a good solar filter, but what else is recommended? Which focal lengths work best? Short or long exposures? Suggestions are encouraged and welcome.
I practiced last octobre with partial eclipse ( around Montreal areas) and it worked well. Since it is also going to be total on the 8 th, I chose the area where the totality will be the longer and far from any light source( like cities). I have my equipement ready plus I read so much about doing time lapse and how to photograph when the eclipse is total.
My set up will be the following. I am using three bodies cameras. Two Z9 ( mine and one rented) and my Z8. Z8 will be attached to either the Z 35-70 2.8 or the Z 70-200 I have not decide yet. one of the Z 9 will be attached to my 180-600 mainly for videos, but I will take with it some photos too. My 600 mm will be attached to the other Z 9 and I will use it only for photos. All my cameras will be on Tripod. I will have my husband with me to assist me by watching over my gear ( like check batteries for example). All my lenses are equipped with solar filters. I am going to practice in the spot I chose the week before the eclipse so I can make sure everything works as I planed and if any correction needs to be made so I can be ready for the eclipse.
All this preparation can be useless, if the sun does not show up on such date. And the probability is very high, since I leave in Quebec province and the weather can be tricky here. All we can do is pray and hope for the best.
As plan B, I chose another areas kind far for the first one in case the sun does not show up on the first location,so I can have maybe another chance somewhere else.
here a link I found which is very helpful to look at

and

I shot the 2017 eclipse and mostly used my 400 f2.8 with and without the 1.4x. My thinking is that you want as much light gathering as possible and low ISO in order to capture as much of the corona as possible. I shot manually and at differing exposures to make sure I captured as much tonal range as possible. This time around I may try to automate a series of exposures, 4 minutes of totality should give adequate opportunity. I also want to capture the diamond ring, which I missed last time around. My thinking is that capturing it at the end of totality will be the easiest, when the filter is off the camera. When it's close I will just use a burst at 10 to 20 fps and live view on the monitor to avoid looking at the sun. As soon as I get the photo I will turn the camera away and replace the filter.

I may also use a wide angle lens to get some land in the photo with the eclipse, but that may be difficult given the timing of the eclipse in my area (its high in the sky). I have a tracker for my second camera.

Attachments

• Eclipse.jpg
    Eclipse.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 22
I shot the 2017 eclipse and mostly used my 400 f2.8 with and without the 1.4x. My thinking is that you want as much light gathering as possible and low ISO in order to capture as much of the corona as possible. I shot manually and at differing exposures to make sure I captured as much tonal range as possible. This time around I may try to automate a series of exposures, 4 minutes of totality should give adequate opportunity. I also want to capture the diamond ring, which I missed last time around. My thinking is that capturing it at the end of totality will be the easiest, when the filter is off the camera. When it's close I will just use a burst at 10 to 20 fps and live view on the monitor to avoid looking at the sun. As soon as I get the photo I will turn the camera away and replace the filter.

I may also use a wide angle lens to get some land in the photo with the eclipse, but that may be difficult given the timing of the eclipse in my area (its high in the sky). I have a tracker for my second camera.
So useful information, thank you. The photos in your reply, is it taken with time lapse. If yes how did you program it, like the time between shots? Thank you

My wife and I will be staying with friends in the wilds of central west Maine (town of Jackman). Have got solar lenses for our Z 100-400mm and our Z 180-600… shooting the Z8 and Z9 (possibly also a Z6ii), all on tripods. We will read up on techniques, but I love the shots with several sun images stretching across the photo showing the phases. I’m not sure how to superimpose photos to get that result. And, like everyone else, we hope and pray for clear skies. It’s all a new experience regardless. I do wish you all good fortune 😉

Would a 10 stop ND be useful near totality?
Please do not use ND filters. You need an approved solar filter. When in totality you can take off the filter but only during that time. If you are not in totality you need to keep that solar filter on the front of that lens. Also, you should get approved eclipse solar glasses to view the sun. Stan Honda recently did a video for Adorama for taking images of the eclipse and what equipment you need. He did warn about using ND filters. In totality you take off the filter but only during totality. You make sure you are in the path of totality to do that. Here is a link to the video:

Posting this again for anyone who hasn’t seen earlier posts on this thread.

In addition to the informative Adorama webinar referenced immediately above, B&H has one upcoming on March 21.

There are others on YouTube, as well. If you’re planning to photograph the upcoming solar eclipse please watch one of these webinars. You’ll learn how to maximize your likelihood of getting memorable photos while protecting your camera’s sensor from damaging UV radiation.

I have never photographed an eclipse, but I bought a solar filter and plan to venture 4 hours to the path of totality. It will only be about 89% totality where I live. I plan to hand hold my Z8 with a 100-400mm with a 1.4 TC as currently it is longest Z lens I have. There is very good info in this thread. Thanks.

I'm planning on shooting it. I am in Northern Vermont, right in the path of totality, so now just hoping for clear skies. I've never tried anything like this, but the above posted links have been very informative. Especially liked the Adorama video. I am going to use my Z8 and 600PF and purchased a solar filter.

Back