Are you shooting too many frames? Pre-Shot Capture Technique

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

EricBowles

Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
One an NPS webinar today Nikon Ambassador Reed Hoffman talked about how pre-shot capture has completely changed the way he shoots.

Reed Hoffman is a baseball photographer as well as lots of other sports. He is using a 0.5 second preshot capture with JPEG files at 30 fps and not triggering the shutter until there is action - a hit, a play in the field, a catch, etc. He does not bother to fire a burst unless he sees action. As a result, he is capturing every hit as the bat strikes the ball without the large number of images associated with photographing every pitch. He's getting every shot and is able to quickly run through the images and choose his selects.

Reed also described the way he photographs lightning - which is by waiting until he sees it. Again with pre-shot capture, he is able to capture a series of images with almost every lightning strike. He showed us a series of nine images from a single lightning bolt - all based on pre-capture and pressing the shutter after he sees the lightning.

The same technique is being used for birds as they take off. He is simply waiting until he sees the bird take off, and then using pre-shot capture, he captures the images as it takes off. The challenge remains getting the subject in focus as it flies away from it's perch - but it is generally very effective.

There is another program planned for November 10 to discuss the features in firmware 3.0 by Mark Cruz. Again - it is NPS only, but we'll try to post interesting comments and observations here.

One an NPS webinar today Nikon Ambassador Reed Hoffman talked about how pre-shot capture has completely changed the way he shoots.

Reed Hoffman is a baseball photographer as well as lots of other sports. He is using a 0.5 second preshot capture with JPEG files at 30 fps and not triggering the shutter until there is action - a hit, a play in the field, a catch, etc. He does not bother to fire a burst unless he sees action. As a result, he is capturing every hit as the bat strikes the ball without the large number of images associated with photographing every pitch. He's getting every shot and is able to quickly run through the images and choose his selects.

Reed also described the way he photographs lightning - which is by waiting until he sees it. Again with pre-shot capture, he is able to capture a series of images with almost every lightning strike. He showed us a series of nine images from a single lightning bolt - all based on pre-capture and pressing the shutter after he sees the lightning.

The same technique is being used for birds as they take off. He is simply waiting until he sees the bird take off, and then using pre-shot capture, he captures the images as it takes off. The challenge remains getting the subject in focus as it flies away from it's perch - but it is generally very effective.

There is another program planned for November 10 to discuss the features in firmware 3.0 by Mark Cruz. Again - it is NPS only, but we'll try to post interesting comments and observations here.
Nice write up, Eric!

I found today's webinar extremely interesting. I'm already planning some motion blend shots and maybe some overlays on an upcoming trip! It's a repeat trip and exploring some of the creative ideas we learned about today will make the trip lots of fun!

On the Canon R7, the Canon set the pre-capture to 15 frames @ 30 frames/sec, 1/2 sec of pre-capture. I suspect that they know something.
Tom

Thanks Eric. Very interesting. I had not thought of pre-capture as reducing the number of frames I might take, but it makes sense.

In addition to birds taking off, I have used pre-capture to photograph beaver tail slaps from my kayak -- which are sudden and unpredictable.

I do wish Nikon would add raw pre-capture to the Z9 even if hardware/software limitations meant it had to be limited to HE* raw and/or a bit slower frame rate.

@EricBowles , can you please clarify. I assume in anticipation of action he is half pressing the shutter, then when action happens he fully presses it. I read that you can only half-press for 30 seconds. Was that mentioned?
That limitation appears to be no problem. You simply release then half press. It takes only an instant.
Tom

@EricBowles , can you please clarify. I assume in anticipation of action he is half pressing the shutter, then when action happens he fully presses it. I read that you can only half-press for 30 seconds. Was that mentioned?

Coffee first - then photography
This is one reason I use BBAF because it's easier to hold in the back button than half press and hold the shutter release. If the wait til action is more than a few seconds, I lift my thumb off the back button and immediately press it again because I recall pre-capture mode times out after x seconds.

p.s. Love the sig :coffee:->📷->🦅 :)

That limitation appears to be no problem. You simply release then half press. It takes only an instant.
Tom
I was not aware of the 30 second limit on half-press, this may explain why some of my pre-releases don't show up... this forum is so helpful for learning things like this. Can Someone point me to this info on the 30 second limit - is it in the ref manual, or...? Thanks!

In Reed's case, he is shooting a particular subject or genre for an extended period. He also is using multiple cameras so I would assume only one or two have this setup.
I agree that the ability to program a button to toggle pre-capture on or off would be valuable, especially to a wildlife photographer. Our subjects, situation, and conditions change frequently. And lighting is more variable. I prefer to shoot raw, so I do not want to simply leave the camera in pre-capture mode as long as it remains limited to jpegs.

In the last firmware, it was not possible to set pre-capture (or C30 or C120 without pre-capture) using recall shooting functions. Have not checked to see if that remains true in firmware 3.0.

Thanks for this very interesting description, Eric.

It seems Precapture is another tool for the creative mind, to apply to image split second events, which are otherwise elusive eg freak waves, as well as mammals, fish etc breaching and other challenging behaviours. All the better when Precapture can work in RAW, even if 'only'' HE*

It seems like yesterday when the requests and discussion started here (with the usual dismissals of the feature) :D

In Reed's case, he is shooting a particular subject or genre for an extended period. He also is using multiple cameras so I would assume only one or two have this setup.
It is a great feature & i have tried it too. How ever with out additional customisation (for toggle from raw to preshot) i find it impractocal for my use case in the field .We were hoping that firmware 3.0 would introduce better customisation .Sadly it is not so .Hope you can share this feed back to Nikon

It seems Precapture is another tool for the creative mind, to apply to image split second events, which are otherwise elusive eg freak waves, as well as mammals, fish etc breaching and other challenging behaviours. All the better when we have the choice to use Precapture in RAW, even if 'only'' HE*, although obviously it's already ideal for Sports.

It seems like yesterday when the requests and discussion started here (with a dismissal of the need for such a feature) :D

I was on a plane while this was going on, sorry I missed it. I am kicking myself a little that I did not use this more while shooting a lot of softball this fall. I still have plenty of volleyball left so I am going to make this a priority. Thanks for sharing.

This is one of the areas where I think we need to take advantage of the shooting banks. I could establish the settings I am going to use for a specific event, copy the settings to another bank, then change the settings in the second bank for pre-capture. Then switch banks when I want to turn pre-capture on or off.

I would love to have that capability. Especially if it were raw and especially if it compiled the precapture into one file as I believe raw burst does in the R7. But even jpeg and individual pics would be amazing.

I was on a plane while this was going on, sorry I missed it. I am kicking myself a little that I did not use this more while shooting a lot of softball this fall. I still have plenty of volleyball left so I am going to make this a priority. Thanks for sharing.

This is one of the areas where I think we need to take advantage of the shooting banks. I could establish the settings I am going to use for a specific event, copy the settings to another bank, then change the settings in the second bank for pre-capture. Then switch banks when I want to turn pre-capture on or off.
Marty - I think that is exactly right.

We had some discussion with Paul van Allen of Nikon about settings specific to certain sports. The conclusion I came to was the differences between sports and/or venues was enough to cause me to want multiple shooting banks that would be changed depending on the sport or event. You would program custom controls and vary the primary and secondary AF options depending on the sport or event. That means having a set of memory cards or files that could be loaded as needed. In the case of Reed Hoffman and baseball, he is using multiple cameras each with a different setup or purpose - capture the batter, capture plays in the field, remote cameras, environmental shots, etc. When he prepares for baseball he can simply load the settings for baseball into all 3-5 Z9 cameras he uses for the event. Right now in-camera multiple exposure might be part of that group of settings because he is shooting a lot of multi-exposure work. If he was going to lead a workshop photographing in Canyonlands and Arches, he would simply load a different memory card with landscape, lightning and storms, astrophotography, etc. You would not expect one group of settings or even one card to handle everything.

It seems Precapture is another tool for the creative mind, to apply to image split second events, which are otherwise elusive eg freak waves, as well as mammals, fish etc breaching and other challenging behaviours. All the better when we have the choice to use Precapture in RAW, even if 'only'' HE*, although obviously it's already ideal for Sports.

It seems like yesterday when the requests and discussion started here (with a dismissal of the need for such a feature) :D
You're right. I saw a post recently about photographing whales breaching. This seems like the perfect technique. It's still a challenge, but the improved hit rate is amazing. Reed Hoffman indicated he was capturing the ball coming off the bat 100% of the time. The same was true for lightning - 100% success including long bursts of 5-9 frames of a single strike.

I don't know exactly how shooting banks work on a Z-9 but I use something similar on the OM-1. The issue is the other settings. Each "bank" (Custom Mode on the OM-1) is independent from any other.

For example, let's say I am shooting a white bird on a black background with pre-capture in a pre-capture "bank" (Custom Mode). I reduce the exposure compensation to not blow out the subject.

If I then switch away and am shooting black birds on a white background in normal mode. I increase the exposure compensation. No problem.

However, if I now switch the "bank" (Custom Mode) to pre-capture the exposure compensation is still set for the white bird.

Regards,

Tom

This is where a piece of computer software on an iPad app would be nice. It would be helpful to be able to view and export all of my settings in a spreadsheet so I could compare and view them. The more options and setting that cameras have the more difficult it is to manage the settings. I have looked at Camera Control Pro 2 but I don't think it allows you to access all of the camera settings and I don't think it allows you to display them in a table format. I think camera manufactures are missing the boat on this.

Back