Art Morris -- The Fact$ of Life

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The question for the community is -- what prints would you buy -- yes excluding you own work -- and have your tastes changed to reflect these current times?

The answer - (for me) I mentioned in point no 3 above. What I would have bought 15 years ago - might no longer hold my attention. The search is always on for something we haven't seen before. Not only as photographers - but also influences our purchases

Assuming the net profit is 15% a person - a good living is being made - but can you name 10 others with similar turnover?

Back to marketing - going ashore on an inflatable (where it is safe and easy to land them if the weather is OK) for 2-3 hours is a very different wildlife experience to spending 3 weeks on the Falklands getting to understand the wildlife, shooting when the light is good etc. Persuading the often "well-healed" to pay mega bucks for a second rate experience is part of marketing.
Which of those experiences is first rate or second rate is a matter of personal opinion.

We can all read. The printing press made books more readily available but not many people could read. When photography became more widespread most people could have their photo taken, but wealthy people still had artists paint their portrait and still do. I met an English man in NZ that painted landscapes. He told me that the expression on the face of the Mona Lisa was unnatural. That's why the smile is enigmatic. I rekon there are three major luxuries in life, one is eating for pleasure rather than satisfying hunger, one is travel to see how other people live, and the third is to obtain an education with no intention of getting a job with the bit of paper you end up with. I am lucky to have sampled all three luxuries. By far the greatest is finally having had the opportunity to get an education rather than be trained to become a cog in someone else's wheel. Not sure how that fits in with the chit chat, I do tend to go off on tangents.

This is a very interesting topic - one that lends itself to members being able to respond with a response the length of a 600mm lens. There is so much to be said - to be debated and to just chit chat about.

The things we hang other than our own work is primarily from galleries visited while travelling. Jackson, WY is primary because we are in the Tetons and there are many galleries you wander into while walking the boardwalk. Favorite among those would be Mangelsen, Images of Nature I believe. Mostly it's filling a spot for home decor. But seeing it in person and being on vacation in a buying mood is key.

The art I have on my walls tends to be more minimalist, bnw work. In terms of wildlife photography, I would go towards someone like Rachel Bigsby. I also tend to take a lot of bnw/high-key minimalist photos. On the other hand, the art I have and want on my body (ie. tattoos) are epic, Japanese pieces. Not remotely minimalist. Maybe my tastes will change. Maybe I'll get married and my future wife will have a different taste in art.

In terms of wildlife photography, I would go towards someone like Rachel Bigsby...
I have never heard of her so I looked up her site. Unfortunately, none of the images open - all I see is text and big blank squares where photos should be. I checked a couple other photo websites to make sure it is not my computer and they opened fine. I am not sure what is going on but she needs to fix her website.

I have never heard of her so I looked up her site. Unfortunately, none of the images open - all I see is text and big blank squares where photos should be. I checked a couple other photo websites to make sure it is not my computer and they opened fine. I am not sure what is going on but she needs to fix her website.

I just checked, and I see the same on her website. You can see some of her work here: https://www.naturettl.com/rachel-bigsby-a-life-changing-encounter-through-the-lens/, and I can share her social media here: https://www.instagram.com/rachelbigsby/

Definitely my favourite photographer.

Back