As anyone else had a problem with focusing more the a hundred yards on a nikon 500 PF 5.6 lens?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RonE1958

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Curious if anyone had a problem with focusing on Nikon 500 PF 5.6?
Last week I purchased a new chiaro pro 99 UVBTS filter for my 500. I started having problems right away with focusing long distance. I took off the filter and the lens seemed to be fine. This morning I had the focus problem again , but when I took off the lens filter the trouble didnt clear. I originally changed the filter because the other one was broke, the filter glass came out of the casing. Could I have damaged the lens as well. I'm pretty rough with my gear.
I have a D850. I tried the 500 on my old 3400 and it didnt work beyond a hundred yards as well.
I just find it interesting that the focusing works fine for shots closer then a hundred yards

Maybe you accidentally let the lens to a short distance only? I have done that in the past and not realized it. (I was typing this just as the prior message came in.). Sometimes it's an easy switch to hit.

The limiter is either full range or from 6m onwards to infinity, no? Nothing to do with long distance focussing.
Correct, 8 meters to infinity is the limiter distance*. Limiter can't be causing the problem here.

I've not had trouble focusing at long distances with this lens on two different cameras.

* though I wish it did have a short distance limit switch also ... but it does not

I’d keep the filter removed and out of the equation and do some more testing. My guess is you bent the lens and/or camera mount a tiny bit and the problem shows up when focusing at long distances.

If the problem is repeatable with no filter, I’d send both the lens and camera in for checkout and service.

I have used the 500mm PF in excess of 100 yards on a D5, D6, D500, Z9, Z7II, Z7 with very good results even with teleconverters. I sold the D850 just before I got the 500mm PF.
Have you checked the auto focus fine tuning?
Which autofocus area and shutter speed were you using?

Since you are having issues with the lens on two camera bodies, the lens could need service. I sent mine in for a full service ($166) and a check-up because it wiggled when the lens was mounted to my d500. They discovered a bent mount. That added a 2 week wait plus about another $110 to the cost of the repair. Total cost was $304 including tax and shipping. It works excellently now.
I no longer carry my camera and lens with one end of my cross body strap on the lens foot and the other one attached to the camera. I attach the strap to the foot itself or to the camera lugs, but support all the weight of the camera/lens assembly at the lens foot. Either with a peak design capture clip or the foot stuck into the belt of my backpack. This has helped. It diminishes the torque applied to the lens mount from the lumps and bumps of hiking.
I recommend getting yours looked at by Nikon Service if it still gives you issues after more testing on multiple camera bodies.
Good luck.

Don’t know if this helps but not long after I bought mine a component in tge lens focussing system failed and the lens wouldn’t focus much over 10m. As it failed on both a D4 and D500 body I had to send it back for a warranty repair. I read subsequently that other users had had issues. The lens worked perfectly afterwards although I don’t own it now.

It might not be your issue but the description reminds me very much of my experience.

Since you are having issues with the lens on two camera bodies, the lens could need service. I sent mine in for a full service ($166) and a check-up because it wiggled when the lens was mounted to my d500. They discovered a bent mount. That added a 2 week wait plus about another $110 to the cost of the repair. Total cost was $304 including tax and shipping. It works excellently now.
I no longer carry my camera and lens with one end of my cross body strap on the lens foot and the other one attached to the camera. I attach the strap to the foot itself or to the camera lugs, but support all the weight of the camera/lens assembly at the lens foot. Either with a peak design capture clip or the foot stuck into the belt of my backpack. This has helped. It diminishes the torque applied to the lens mount from the lumps and bumps of hiking.
I recommend getting yours looked at by Nikon Service if it still gives you issues after more testing on multiple camera bodies.
Good luck.
Yes Alan, that is my plan. I abuse the heck.. I carry it, kayaking skiing, mountain biking...etc. I'm working getting it over to Photo Tech off 34st in NYC.

Thanks
Ron

Curious if anyone had a problem with focusing on Nikon 500 PF 5.6?
Last week I purchased a new chiaro pro 99 UVBTS filter for my 500. I started having problems right away with focusing long distance. I took off the filter and the lens seemed to be fine. This morning I had the focus problem again , but when I took off the lens filter the trouble didnt clear. I originally changed the filter because the other one was broke, the filter glass came out of the casing. Could I have damaged the lens as well. I'm pretty rough with my gear.
I have a D850. I tried the 500 on my old 3400 and it didnt work beyond a hundred yards as well.
I just find it interesting that the focusing works fine for shots closer then a hundred yards
I've used the 500 PF on a D500, D850 and Z9, and never had a problem focusing at long distance other than in the presence of atmospheric interference. IMO, a 500 PF in good working order in the absence of atmospheric problems should be able to easily focus well in excess of 100 yards.

Last edited:
The camera's autofocus sensors need to have areas of contrast and changing light vs. dark and if the details in the image are too small then the AF system is going to have difficulty. I have seen much the same problem with ultra wide angle lenses that also reduce image detail in a scene. It is only the increased DOF of the ultra wide angle lens that makes this less apparent in the image.

Good luck.
That is excellent advice Alan. I had a Sony E-mount camera break at the mount while sitting on my vehicle seat. I did not hit any major bumps, but the heavy long lens was too much for the camera body. I now transport my lenses separately from the bodies to minimize this issue.

Back