Asking for opinions on the Nikon Z 24-200 mm lens (4 - 6.3)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I finally got out yesterday afternoon and took some shots.

200 mm is way too small for birds, but the few I took were mostly in focus, except for those sitting in trees with all sorts of tiny branches interfering with focus.

It worked very well with my dog Joe when I threw a dummy for him. I took more than a few shots at 20 frames per second and they all had one thing in common, they did NOT show him as a black object with no detail. Instead, he was well exposed with all of the detail I could ever want.

I picked one I liked and developed it. Very little change from the RAW file, including no cropping.

View attachment 83380

I will be keeping the lens
Love how the eyes and the dummy colors catch each other.

One point to note on the 24-200 is that it seems to attract dust like no other lens. When shooting other lenses I don’t get dust spots on my sensor (or hardly ever) but with the 24-200 it’s a regular thing. The seals are apparently less good than on the S line lenses—the lower price has to come from somewhere…

One point to note on the 24-200 is that it seems to attract dust like no other lens. When shooting other lenses I don’t get dust spots on my sensor (or hardly ever) but with the 24-200 it’s a regular thing. The seals are apparently less good than on the S line lenses—the lower price has to come from somewhere…
I don't think it's weather sealed so I'd be careful in wet or dusty conditions.

Thank you, I will keep that in mind.

Wink

Glad to hear you’re enjoying it. It won’t unseat the 70-200, but it’s incredibly convenient!

Thank you Chris. I agree, it may not unseat the 70-200 I have, but it is way more convenient to carry. I am going to Italy in September for a workshop in the Dolomites. I will be taking my 20mm 1.8 prime with a Z converter for most of my landscapes, but will be nice to have another light lens along for those times when I want to get tighter. We will be spending several days at the top of some of the ridges. At 77 I am not going to want to carry extra weight, especially when I do not anticipate needing the lens often.

Back