Audio on the lek

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

mtmiller

Looking for experience or suggestions with recording audio on grouse leks next month. I am back and forth on just getting a portable recorder or a shotgun mic that I could run a 20' cable out of the blind. I don't think I would want on camera mic, but that was based on someone else's comments.

A portable recorder for sharptails is a piece of cake, but due to the sensitivity of sage-grouse, I would have to turn it on a couple hours before sunrise. Not a huge deal since I sleep in the blind, but worth consideration.

Open to any thoughts from a naive videographer. Displaying birds will be 10-25 yards away if that matters.

Looking for experience or suggestions with recording audio on grouse leks next month. I am back and forth on just getting a portable recorder or a shotgun mic that I could run a 20' cable out of the blind. I don't think I would want on camera mic, but that was based on someone else's comments.

A portable recorder for sharptails is a piece of cake, but due to the sensitivity of sage-grouse, I would have to turn it on a couple hours before sunrise. Not a huge deal since I sleep in the blind, but worth consideration.

Open to any thoughts from a naive videographer. Displaying birds will be 10-25 yards away if that matters.
Small 32bit field recorder like the Zoom F3 with a good xlr mic or two.

Back