Australian Ibis

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

David Berry

🇦🇺 Australia 🦘

Strutting my stuff …

Australian Ibis : Threskiornis molucca
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Australian Ibis : Threskiornis molucca
Sandgate, Queensland

Beautiful capture🖤
Very nice!
Thank you!

Our white ibis has a reputation as a 'garbage tip turkey' or a 'bin chicken' – blame the humans – so it was a joy to see this specimen on the tidal flats of Moreton Bay behaving like a proper wild animal rather than a suburban scrounger.

I was actually trying, I must admit not too successfully, to photograph one of the smallest shorebirds frequenting the bay. The Red-necked Stint (below, right) was dwarfed by a group of Pacific Golden Plovers (actually quite small birds) who, in turn had Bar-tailed Godwits (only just qualifying as 'medium') towering over them! Beyond all of these, were a few Far Eastern Curlews (seriously endangered)… and then in strode Mr Handsome, the ibis.

If only I had the talent to capture something akin to those wonderful African waterhole scenes with the full range of wildlife from sandgrouse to elephants gathered in harmony. (It would probably be a bobbejaan or two who'd disrupt that party.)

… David

Pacific Golden Plover and Red-necked Stint
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Pacific Golden Plover (left) : Pluvialis fulva
Red-necked Stint (right) : Calidris ruficollis
Moreton Bay, Queensland

Last edited:
Back