Auto AF Fine Tune on D500 - !HELP!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi,

I just reviewed Steve's video about the Auto AFFT but, I'm getting the failure msg all the time.

My setup:
AF-S
Single point
AF Fine Tune ON
Saved Value 0

Procedure:
Switched to Lv
Centered the focus point and NORM displayed
Focused on the target and got the green focus point
Pressed the AF+movie buttons simultaneously

I am trying to fine tune the SIGMA 60-600 at 600 mm with and without the SIGMA TC 1.4. The result is always the same. I' m always getting the auto AF tune failure message.
Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Could it be a firmware issue? I'm using the firmware version 1.31
Any inputs are more than welcome.

P.S.: I'm using BBAF

I tuned my sigma lens on my d500 actually several sigma lenses. I used reinken focal. It is worth the money in my opinion. Fine tuning a lens does not make it sharper. It makes the depth of field match up to the focus point. So if you shoot a slanted ruler for example and have your camera and lens stationary and movement free use a remote trigger and take a shot of a ruler at a 45 degree angle with the focus point on 6. The depth of field should be equally distributed up and down the ruler. That's an over simplication of the basic reason to tune a lens. Renkein focal will help you with a lot of other information also. It's worth the money if you are really interested in knowing your lenses and getting maximum performance. Honestly though you will not notice a difference unless your lens is way off like my 105 micro Nikon was. It was front focusing big time. It's a jewel now.

Another free way I believe would be the dot tune method, I think would work with any lens.

Yes, mainly at 600 mm (it is the focal length that I use most of the times)
Stepping away from fine tuning, have you tested it with LiveView and that combination. That will tell you whether the camera is capable of sharp focus at that focal length with that lens. That lens - and most other zooms in that price range - are usually a little softer at maximum focal length than at shorter focal lengths. On some lenses it's resolved by stopping down to f/8 or more rather than with fine tuning. For fine tuning to be the issue - or answer - you need to be getting sharp detail but it's in front of or behind your target.

Stepping away from fine tuning, have you tested it with LiveView and that combination. That will tell you whether the camera is capable of sharp focus at that focal length with that lens. That lens - and most other zooms in that price range - are usually a little softer at maximum focal length than at shorter focal lengths. On some lenses it's resolved by stopping down to f/8 or more rather than with fine tuning. For fine tuning to be the issue - or answer - you need to be getting sharp detail but it's in front of or behind your target.
Live view is ok in still subjects. It even focus at f/9 that is the maximum aperture with the 1.4x TC

Back