Autumn Bull Moose

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Loving the added photos... Dave! I’ve been trying for year to get some good shots of these guys... so far nothing.
Thanks Gordon.
Very nice set of photos Dave. Those two Bulls are huge and your time spent waiting for those photo opportunities was well worth it. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks.
Gordon G. Same for me I've been trying for many years to get a nice bull moose . I have Jack S to show.
FWIW, I know the feeling. I'd been shooting wildlife for several years before I came across my first bull moose with a camera at hand. For some reason I've had a really good week for finding moose but it's not always like this. I came up dry on bull moose the past two seasons even when we'd see cows and calves around town all winter.

I headed up to the park after work with a friend and spent about an hour walking around the campground where I saw so many yesterday but they've either moved on or were bedded down and we didn't see them. So we started heading back towards town when this big guy with the broken rack that I spent the day with last weekend came walking up the river valley and was kind enough to walk by as sunset came on.

D850, 300mm PF @f/4, 1/320", ISO 360
850_7499-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
I love all these additions Dave. Please keep them coming!
Thanks Kathy.

Not sure how much longer these guys will be hanging around where I can find them but here's one from today in late afternoon light.

D850, 300mm PF @ f/4.5, 1/640", ISO 160
850_7733-Websize.jpg

And one of the same guy last night with the sun set light and fresh snow on Jackson Peak

D850, 70-200mm f/4 @165mm, f/4.5, 1/1600", ISO 4500
850_7681-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Was fortunate to find this old guy hanging out along Antelope Flats road today. He wasn't in a hurry to go anywhere and the high clouds kept the light pretty decent so I spent most of the day there as he mostly sat around on the ground, occasionally slept but stood up and browsed around a couple of times. I was shocked to see I'd been there almost six hours though some chilly wind and a couple of short rain/sleet showers but it was worth it for the couple of times he got up and showed off his size.

Nikon D5, 600mm @ f/5.6, 1/640", ISO 560
View attachment 7792
Just beautiful. Reminds me of a few bulls I’ve photographed in Jasper

Especially impressive when you notice the 165mm and 300mm. Be careful out there...lol

Thanks folks.

Especially impressive when you notice the 165mm and 300mm. Be careful out there...lol
Yeah, not really as close as the optics make it look. The park requires a 25 yard stand back for Moose and other animals except Bears and Wolves (100 yards) and I was probably 35-40 yards back for the image with the 300mm and more than double that for the scenic image with the 165mm lens. But as always the key is watching the behavior and this guy was pretty relaxed the whole time.

He moved on down to the river for a drink and I liked the way this image came out as he came up streaming with water :)

D850, 300mm f/5, 1/640", ISO 1400
850_7829-Edit-Edit-2.jpg

Last edited:
fantastic photos!

i was out there at the beginning of the month but didn't get to see any moose or much other wildlife this year. it was when the teton bridger fires were flaring up so i think most of the wildlife hunkered down or went on vacation.

Very beautiful series Dave
Thanks Tadzio!

Had a storm last night and woke up to a few inches of snow over a base of ice and temps in the single digits(F that is). Had planned on a hike with my wife today but after slipping and sliding on a neighborhood dog walk we opted to take a walk around the campground up in the park for the flat roads and to see if the Moose were still around as she hadn't been up to see them yet. Came across Shoshone and several bulls that I'm guessing are his offspring as he's pretty tolerant of them even during the rut. They were bedded down in the snow and we didn't wait around for them to get up as it was bitter cold with a stiff wind blowing but managed a handful of images before heading on.

D850, 500mm PF, f/5.6, 1/1250", ISO 720
850_8314-websize.jpg

Thanks Tadzio!

Had a storm last night and woke up to a few inches of snow over a base of ice and temps in the single digits(F that is). Had planned on a hike with my wife today but after slipping and sliding on a neighborhood dog walk we opted to take a walk around the campground up in the park for the flat roads and to see if the Moose were still around as she hadn't been up to see them yet. Came across Shoshone and several bulls that I'm guessing are his offspring as he's pretty tolerant of them even during the rut. They were bedded down in the snow and we didn't wait around for them to get up as it was bitter cold with a stiff wind blowing but managed a handful of images before heading on.

View attachment 8416
Stunning image! The moose seems very quiet and cooperative.

Thanks Tadzio!

View attachment 8416
Thanks for sharing I enjoy reading it and seeing the photos

Stunning image! The moose seems very quiet and cooperative.
Thanks Cristobal. Yeah, he's pretty famous in these parts and has been photographed by an awful lot of photographers over the years and doesn't get too excited about it :)

The tough part about Moose is finding them for most of the spring and summer as they tend to hang out up in the mountains and by themselves. But the good news for photography is once you find them is they're not the least bit skittish and generally don't run away like a lot of the Deer, Elk and Pronghorn. They tend to stand their ground and not move for anyone. When we come across them while hiking or biking in the summer we'll generally turn around or find some way to bushwhack a wide path around them as they'll stand right in the middle of the trail and not give an inch.

Thanks Cristobal. Yeah, he's pretty famous in these parts and has been photographed by an awful lot of photographers over the years and doesn't get too excited about it :)

The tough part about Moose is finding them for most of the spring and summer as they tend to hang out up in the mountains and by themselves. But the good news for photography is once you find them is they're not the least bit skittish and generally don't run away like a lot of the Deer, Elk and Pronghorn. They tend to stand their ground and not move for anyone. When we come across them while hiking or biking in the summer we'll generally turn around or find some way to bushwhack a wide path around them as they'll stand right in the middle of the trail and not give an inch.
Thank you DR for your info; when I visited your country last year, I tried without success seing mooses; I remembered that there was a trail north-east from Jackson Hole, Moose Wilson, which was closed because of grizzly attracted there by moose calves; the only moose I saw was from a promontory along the main road, north of Jackson, near what I believe was the Gros ventre River, but it was not close. Here, where I live, there are many good habitats for mooses, north from Quebec city, but good luck to find them, without the help of people knowing the territory.

Was up in the park again this evening and took a walk looking for Moose. Took me an hour or so to find them bedded down back in some cottonwood trees but they got up to browse around as evening came on. This young bull walked out of the woods at just about the right time for some golden hour light.

D850, 70-200mm E FL @ 135mm, f/5, 1/1250", ISO 560
850_9046-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Back