Back up camera to the Z9 (Yes, an another thread about this)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Kjellis

I am fortunate to own a Z9 for the last two years (I had to wait 8 months for it to be delivered after launch) and I absolute love this camera! I know the camera and my muscle memory is tuned to this camera now. But I am missing a second camera. I have been saving up to buy a second Z9, but I have got second thoughts now. The Z8 seems to pair nicely with the Z9 as a lighter camera with same performance, but it uses diffrent batteries and a diffrent charger And I would really like my two cameras to use the same batteries and chargers. And how are the camera layout compared to the Z9 as my muscle memory is so tuned to the Z9?
Or is the Z9 so long in it’s life span that it makes senceto just wait for the replacement model and keep my Z9 as a backup (Im really waiting for pre capture raw)?

So my options is (Yeah, I know it’s a luxuary problem I have and I’m privileged to just own a Z9):

• Buy a Z8
  • Buy a refurbiished Z9 at the same price as a Z8
  • Wait for the Z9ii to arrive
What route have those of you that have the Z9 gone regarding a second camera to the Z9?

I bought a Z8 to add - not as a back up body - but as a second body.
I would mostly use the Z8 for longer lenses and the Z9 for landscapes - purely because of the weight. Cameras are not light and hiking even short distances isn't much fun. And believe me, there is a noticeable difference - especially since my Z9 has an L bracket added to it.
Controls are mostly the same which helps a lot. Having different chargers is not a bad thing. If you had just Z9 - you would take only one charger generally speaking. It can fail. With the different bodies, you have to take 2 chargers. Many others prefer to stick to 2 x Z9 because they are exactly the same. Horses for courses

Difference Z8 <-> Z9
* battery (different chargers as well)
* second memory card slot is different
* 1 less Fn button on the Z8
* No GPS on the Z8
* No buttons for easy vertical shooting

And waiting for the Z9II? There is not the slightest rumor on this camera so the waiting is on you ;-). We can't decide what outweighs the differences between the Z8 and Z9 for you to put down your money as we all do a tradeoff and select that 2nd body to suit our needs.

I would mostly use the Z8 for longer lenses and the Z9 for landscapes - purely because of the weight. Cameras are not light and hiking even short distances isn't much fun. And believe me, there is a noticeable difference - especially since my Z9 has an L bracket added to it.
Controls are mostly the same which helps a lot. Having different chargers is not a bad thing. If you had just Z9 - you would take only one charger generally speaking. It can fail. With the different bodies, you have to take 2 chargers. Many others prefer to stick to 2 x Z9 because they are exactly the same. Horses for courses

On the chargers, I do my dedicated photo safaris with 2 Z9 bodies and take 1 charger with me. However, I also take a USB power adapter with 2 USB-C ports providing PD and this together with 2 long USB-C cables. Even if the charger should fail can I still charge in-body. That is my plan B that works for me. Sure, extra weight again but I do not make long hikes with all that gear, only to reach my accommodation. When out shooting is that with the body & lenses with a spare battery or batteries depending on the weather.

Thanks Elsa. The weight of the Z9 doesn't bother me as beeing in the mid 40's I'm in decent shape. I also have a L-bracket for the Z9, but it's just enough to make the camera to heavy for my liking though. So I use only when doing landscapes.
I haven't really consider the the diifrent chargers as an advantage, thanks for pinting this out.
I am also saving up to my first trip to Africa and I also would like to travel with two camras on this trip.

Difference Z8 <-> Z9
* battery (different chargers as well)
* second memory card slot is different
* 1 less Fn button on the Z8
* No GPS on the Z8
* No buttons for easy vertical shooting

And waiting for the Z9II? There is not the slightest rumor on this camera so the waiting is on you ;-). We can't decide what outweighs the differences between the Z8 and Z9 for you to put down your money as we all do a tradeoff and select that 2nd body to suit our needs.
Thanks. I think waiting for the Z9ii is not the move I want right now, so it's just to decide what the Z8 brings to the table compared to a second Z9 :)

I have 2 Z9's. I've always liked a heavier body and my hand likes the larger form. I've always had grips on my D500, D810 and D850's. I like that I can pick up either Z9 and start shooting, both are set up the same. I also like the larger batteries, I have one type of battery that fits every body I'm using (yes, I still use my dslrs)

I have 2 Z9's. I've always liked a heavier body and my hand likes the larger form. I've always had grips on my D500, D810 and D850's. I like that I can pick up either Z9 and start shooting, both are set up the same. I also like the larger batteries, I have one type of battery that fits every body I'm using (yes, I still use my dslrs)
It also had grips on my dslrs and I love using camera's with grips. I am leaning towards a second Z9, but I also recognice the advantages of a lighter body for longer hikes.

Last edited:
😂 I walked into that one didnt I 😂
Okey well i am also in my 40's (add Vat, interest and some penalties)
Well, I think your point is still walid though! I do some longer full day hikes in the mountains looking for ptarmigans and other species that lives in the mountains and I can se the advantages of a lighter body on theese days- and also the 600 PF over my 600 TC! LOL 😂

The other thing is traveling - for me it helps to be able to fit all my gear in one bag. The z9 makes it just that much more difficult and adds weight when weight is already an issue with carry on weight on a plane. I sit with a Z800 too which I don't know how to include - but of course it's semantics :) (extra charger etc)

I have both Z8 and Z9 and overall the difference between use is minimal. The Z9 has a drive dial to quickly change between simgle, continuous low, continuous high. The Z9 has one additional function button on the front, but many setup the same as function 1 so the buttons placement is the same when shooting vertical, but it also has three buttons under the rear display that can be programmed. You also have built in geotagging with the Z9, identical memory card slots, the bigger battery, and a LAN port. The Z8 fits into bags easier, is noticeably lighter weight, has the advantage (and disadvantage) of using an SD card in the second slot, cheaper batteries (though you may need more spares). Having two Z9 bodies would let you use the setup file from one to make the second identical where as the Z8 would need to be setup manually. It seems firmware updates are staggered so one body receives new features before the other.

I prefer the Z8 body over the Z9 but I do like the drive mode dial and wish they would have kept that on the Z8. The weight of one Z9 may not bother you, but would the weight of two?

Ronald Pollard, who was a guest on my Nikonians webinar a couple of years ago - is using a Z9/Z8 combination. He told me that there are many times when the lighter camera is his first choice. The button layout, AF performance, and the way he uses the cameras is similar enough that he can use them both without stopping to think. He has larger hands and a long history with flagship bodies, but the Z8 is such a good camera that it is a natural counterpart to the Z9. It also means when you want two cameras concurrently, you have a little weight savings compared to two Z9's.

I have not heard the slightest rumor about a Z9ii in this year. It's next year at the earliest. The Z9 remains a great camera with the firmware updates. I don't know that any compelling technologies are developed enough for a replacement to the Z9 yet, and more time for development and technology maturity could be a plus. That suggests 2025 at the earliest, and possibly a bigger bang in 2026.

Last edited:
As mentioned, the Z8 and Z9 pair very well. Switching between them in the field is effortless. Travel is a really good reason to have a Z8. I have a Mindshift 18L that I use when I have to fly, and although I can put the Z9 in that bag, the Z8 is much easier. Yes, it would be nice to have the same batteries, but I find the advantages of pairing these two bodies to outweigh these differences.

Z9 & Z8 owner and I received the Z9 within two months of the release. I’m 70ish and would tote the Z9 /800 PF on Wildlife Refuge walks daily and yes it’s a load. I ordered the Z8 at release and it just came out of warranty with two trips back to Nikon for recall repairs. The Z8 is my daily go to body and the 600 PF is so much easier to carry and easier to handle for bif Raptor Photography. The Z9 / 800 PF combo has been reassigned to Tripod use or other short walks. As for the Z8 Battery life a spare battery is a do not forget item when heading out the door.

Sent you a PM…and I would go with the Z8 as weight is a bigger deal for me than identical bodies…and if one ignores the below screen buttons which I do the only control difference is Fn3 so no big deal there…they’re essentially the same body for me outside the weight/grip. IMO…the lower battery capacity on the Z8 is a non issue…in Serengeti last month I needed a second Z8 battery exactly 1 time and it was the da6 we didn’t go back to camp for lunch and even then it was an hour before sunset when I switched…but I’ve got a long term habit of turning the camera off when not actually shooting.

Like Winston Churchill…I prefer the smaller Z8 significantly.

Thanks all for your replies. I am. No closer to a decision, but I’m leaning towards a Z8 right now. I think a smaller an lighter body might be an advantage to add to my camera bag.

Thanks all for your replies. I am. No closer to a decision, but I’m leaning towards a Z8 right now. I think a smaller a lighter body might be an advantage to add to my camera bag.
Another Z9/Z8 user here. Had the Z9 for two years. Stewed for 9 months over whether to add a second Z9 (refurb) or a Z8. Ordered and cancelled the Z8 twice before finally getting a Z8 refurb this Spring for $3200. That’s more than a $1K less than a Z9 refurb if cost is a factor.

While I appreciate the Z9’s longer battery life, dual express CF slots and third Fn button, I hardly use it now due the Z8’s weight advantage and almost identical performance. I typically shoot birds handheld with a 500PF or 800PF. However, if I shot much video, I’d opt for the Z9. FYI, I don’t shoot video, but I’ve played with pre-capture and got a heat warning the last time I used it after about 30-45 minutes minutes of shooting.

The pros and cons of the two cameras have been clearly stated by others and strong cases can be made for mixing the two or having two of the same. I’ll just note that the extra SmallRig batteries I bought for the Z8 don’t require a charger, per se. They charge via a USB/USB-type C cable that connects directly to the battery. Based on my usage, I estimate that the Z9’s battery life roughly equals 2-1/2 to 3x of the Z8 batteries (Nikon OEM and SmallRig brands).

Last edited:
There’s a sale on the Z8 right now: $500 off.
Had a Z9/Z8 combo, loved it, but just sold the Z9 for a second Z8, as I have realized I could really use the .9 lb weight savings, plus saved weight/space of one charger on travel where most of my work is done. Muscle memory and saved settings for the same camera another plus, at the expense of the few extra functions on the z9 mentioned above.

Should turn the thread into a poll, but I'm group Z9 all the way.

I've used both, Z8 + Z9, and 2x Z9 combo. The 2x Z9 combo is significantly better in my opinion. The big thing is the different batteries. It's annoying to have to carry additional chargers and batteries. Especially because the Z8 battery is so much worse than the Z9.

I found that whenever I was shooting, the Z9 would always be primary and the Z8 would be back up. Which meant I never -wanted- to use the Z8. It was only for emergencies, or shots I didn't care as much about.

Also although the Z8 and Z9 are close, you can't line up the menus and buttons exactly, which is another small but significant irritation.

I suggest to everyone that they pick their preferred body (Z8 or Z9) and then buy 2 of them. I know many people who have tried the mix and match method and every single one went back to having the same body.

i’m happy with a z8 as my backup. i mostly pick up the z9 or z8 interchangeably, but it is nice to have a smaller body in certain circumstances

that said, i will very likely trade one of them towards a z9ii, z9h or z9s if/when they show

Back