Back up camera to the Z9 (Yes, an another thread about this)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

A key reason I bought a Z9 instead of the Sony A1 was the ability to use the EN-EL18 batteries. That has not changed with the Z8 that uses the smaller batteries in the camera an in the grip. With my D850 cameras the battery grip could be used with the EN-EL18 batteries and I could go for two full days of shooting without changing (and having to recharge) my batteries. With video the battery life is much shorter and unless I want to carry around some power banks the Z9 with its EN-EL18 batteries is still my preference.

I usually have two cameras in use with a prime lens attached to one and a zoom lens attached to the other. Having two identical cameras means I can work faster. It was a big deal for me to have two D850 cameras and not deal with the inconsistent button layouts of the various Nikon cameras with their product managers clueless about its importance for shooters. It resulted in my abandoning underwater photography as each new Nikon camera required spending $3,000 on a new housing to accommodate the changes.

There’s a sale on the Z8 right now: $500 off.
Had a Z9/Z8 combo, loved it, but just sold the Z9 for a second Z8, as I have realized I could really use the .9 lb weight savings, plus saved weight/space of one charger on travel where most of my work is done. Muscle memory and saved settings for the same camera another plus, at the expense of the few extra functions on the z9 mentioned above.
That’s what I’m doing…have an offer in hand from MPB and the Z8 will end up costing me about 500 bucks and I will gladly pay that for the weight size reduction.

i’m happy with a z8 as my backup. i mostly pick up the z9 or z8 interchangeably, but it is nice to have a smaller body in certain circumstances

that said, i will very likely trade one of them towards a z9ii, z9h or z9s if/when they show
I use them interchangeably as well…so forgoing the extra buttons and the battery issue which I just don’t understand as it’s never npbeen an issue for me even on the 15 hour Serengeti day I had remaining life on the first battery and I had another 2 in the bag anyway. Not caring about the grip, don’t do much video, and lighter…plus the identical instead of just identically configured and used controls and the easier keeping both body settings in sync makes selling the Z9 the best idea for me.

Thanks Elsa. The weight of the Z9 doesn't bother me as beeing in the mid 40's I'm in decent shape. I also have a L-bracket for the Z9, but it's just enough to make the camera to heavy for my liking though.
Well…..at 76 I’ve considered hiring “camera bearers”. Not sure there’s a wheeled cart on the market yet but stay tuned… The Z9 w/long glass won’t give you a hernia but will make the Z8 jump up on your wish list. I have both and the Z8 is much easier to transport, not just from a weight standpoint but also more compact.

i suspect a processor bump that supported cfe-b v4, better subject detection, and higher raw framerates would be a compelling upgrade for a lot of action folks
I agree - but a new processor needs to deliver a lot more in terms of advances. And there are likely to be supplier advances required to take advantage of the new capabilities. I'm sure Nikon is thinking 3 years or more ahead of the actual use of those technologies. CFExpress 4 is pretty pointless as a stand alone - it needs a faster processor, faster frame rate, better heat management, faster card availability, improved subject recognition speed, faster video refresh, etc. I suspect heat management is probably the most worrisome issue right now.

I agree - but a new processor needs to deliver a lot more in terms of advances. And there are likely to be supplier advances required to take advantage of the new capabilities. I'm sure Nikon is thinking 3 years or more ahead of the actual use of those technologies. CFExpress 4 is pretty pointless as a stand alone - it needs a faster processor, faster frame rate, better heat management, faster card availability, improved subject recognition speed, faster video refresh, etc. I suspect heat management is probably the most worrisome issue right now.
right, but those things are all likely possible

1) it's likely the z9 has the thermal chops to support higher heat dissipation needs. and even the z8 in more limited bursts

2) a speed bump would likely be the key feature of a new processor. that's not unreachable tech, that's basically being willing to budget the cost of how much processing power you're willing to pay for

3) it's likely that improvements in subject detection speed are UNLOCKED by a faster processor. while training models are important, i suspect the available processing power is a key limitation in these systems

It resulted in my abandoning underwater photography as each new Nikon camera required spending $3,000 on ia new housing to accommodate the changes.

Sorry, but I find it bizarre that you would give up an enjoyable activity because the latest version of your preferred camera brand has some some issues.

I suppose it is all about priorities.

Ya but you got big muscles.
It is true that I am a big guy. But I am also in my 70's and have had recent problems with back pain that is made worse from carrying equipment on neck straps or working with backpacks that put a lot of weight on my shoulders. I am currently going through physical therapy to toughen me up.

I do a lot of shooting with long lenses. I really like the Z800 pf and would not want to give that up. I also am planning to get one of the big primes when I can get permission from She Who Must Be Obeyed (although that might take a long time). I have found that tripod and gimbal really help with image sharpness when using long telephotos and I prefer to use them when I can.

All of that of course means carrying a lot of weight around.

I have found that certain tools make carrying equipment much easier. Shoulder straps like the Blackrapids take most of the stress off and I can walk comfortably carrying heavy lenses that way. I also ordered a Holdfast strap for carrying two cameras at once. I even have a custom backpack that takes all weight off the shoulders.

The difference between z8 and z9 is about one pound. In the overall scheme of things that one pound is not critical for me.

It helps that I have big hands. The finger grip when holding a long lens really works well for me with the z9.

As long as I have been into photography I have always added a double grip when it was available.

Finally if I really want to go light I have the z7ii. That is a truly light weight camera. Put a pancake lens on that and it doesn't weigh more than a Leica.

Sorry, but I find it bizarre that you would give up an enjoyable activity because the latest version of your preferred camera brand has some some issues.

I suppose it is all about priorities.
I don’t think he meant the camera has an issue but rather the underwater housing required is cost prohibitive. I’ve looked at these enclosures as well and for now opted to use my phone for underwater photography.

I don’t think he meant the camera has an issue but rather the underwater hdontousing required is cost prohibitive. I’ve looked at these enclosures as well and for now opted to use my phone for underwater photography.
I don't think that was what he was saying. He was talking about the problems caused by the changes. But I leave it to him to comment.

I don't think that was what he was saying. He was talking about the problems caused by the changes. But I leave it to him to comment.

as a diver i fully understand Carson’s point.

I personally found dive photography to be a difficult experience.You put your camera at risk each time you go down as any error with the o ring can cause a potentially fatal (to the camera) leak. In addition the bubbles from your regulator exhaust disturbs fish and you end up with a lot of pictures of fish butts.

i reached the conclusion that if i wanted to get into dive photography i would need to get into rebreathers. Those are both super expensive and heavy on maintenance. also very bad for you if you get something wrong. serious trouble if your air mix is wrong.

as a diver i fully understand Carson’s point.

I personally found dive photography to be a difficult experience.You put your camera at risk each time you go down as any error with the o ring can cause a potentially fatal (to the camera) leak. In addition the bubbles from your regulator exhaust disturbs fish and you end up with a lot of pictures of fish butts.

i reached the conclusion that if i wanted to get into dive photography i would need to get into rebreathers. Those are both super expensive and heavy on maintenance. also very bad for you if you get something wrong. serious trouble if your air mix is wrong.
You are talking about the difficulties of underwater photography.

He said he gave up underwater photography because of Nikon's changes. Why upgrade if the change makes your activity difficult? Just stick with what you have, surely.

I am with the above bunch of divers. I also gave up underwater photography because it really became impractical to upgrade.
Every new camera body needs a new house, as the changes in body size, button lay outs etc makes it impossible to use the same housing for all bodies.
It gets really expensive and my experience was that underwater photography didn't sell well at all (15 years ago)
You are talking about the difficulties of underwater photography.

He said he gave up underwater photography because of Nikon's changes. Why upgrade if the change makes your activity difficult? Just stick with what you have, surely.
Yoh - what an argument 😂 🙌
We should all still be shooting D70's

It is true that I am a big guy. But I am also in my 70's and have had recent problems with back pain that is made worse from carrying equipment on neck straps or working with backpacks that put a lot of weight on my shoulders. I am currently going through physical therapy to toughen me up.

I do a lot of shooting with long lenses. I really like the Z800 pf and would not want to give that up. I also am planning to get one of the big primes when I can get permission from She Who Must Be Obeyed (although that might take a long time). I have found that tripod and gimbal really help with image sharpness when using long telephotos and I prefer to use them when I can.

All of that of course means carrying a lot of weight around.

I have found that certain tools make carrying equipment much easier. Shoulder straps like the Blackrapids take most of the stress off and I can walk comfortably carrying heavy lenses that way. I also ordered a Holdfast strap for carrying two cameras at once. I even have a custom backpack that takes all weight off the shoulders.

The difference between z8 and z9 is about one pound. In the overall scheme of things that one pound is not critical for me.

It helps that I have big hands. The finger grip when holding a long lens really works well for me with the z9.

As long as I have been into photography I have always added a double grip when it was available.

Finally if I really want to go light I have the z7ii. That is a truly light weight camera. Put a pancake lens on that and it doesn't weigh more than a Leica.
I must say you dont look 70 on your profile pic 😂

You mention big hands - perhaps this is another reason I prefer the Z8. My hands are not big and my fingers very short.

Sorry to hear about your back pain - I hope you get better.

I am with the above bunch of divers. I also gave up underwater photography because it really became impractical to upgrade.
Every new camera body needs a new house, as the changes in body size, button lay outs etc makes it impossible to use the same housing for all bodies.
It gets really expensive and my experience was that underwater photography didn't sell well at all (15 years ago)

Yoh - what an argument 😂 🙌
We should all still be shooting D70's
I consider myself corrected 😔

Back