Backpack for 600mm f4 and airplane travel

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

For air travel I am using German made Koenig photo bags. He has pre-defined sets or produces them up to your requirements. The backpack is entirely waterproof, so you can even put them in the water (not too sure why you would wish to do this ...). You would find it here: https://www.koenig-photobags.de/ (I have no interests whatsoever in this brand).

I own three inlets, so I can switch according to the trip planned.

Interesting indeed McStamp. I only knew of this brand since a month or 2-3 as a friend of mine bought one of their backpacks because he was after a waterproof backpack.
He is a wildlife photography guide usually found in either the Arctic or Antartica and needs to protect his gear from water in a zodiac or in wet conditions due to heavy rainfall or melting snow/ice.

For those interesting: I was in contact with the owner, herr Erhard König, and it truly is a small scale business and do take real pride in their product and their promise on durability of their backpacks. They not have the most sexy look but it is functionality above sleek design :)

The NYA-EVO backpacks have a frame and suspension for lengthily hikes. The 60-C with the XL camera insert will hold a 600mm, with or w/o camera attached. I have used this backpack and it is carry-on compatible. With the L camera insert (fits a 400/2.8), the backpack has room for the other things I want with me on a hike.
Hi John, I am about to pull the trigger on this backpack but can it hold to your opinion (with the all new XL insert):
- 2x Nikon Z9
- 1x Nikon 600mm f/4 TC
- 1x 100-400mm
- smaller stuff like spare batteries, memory cards, charger, ...

Thank you for your insight.

Hi John, I am about to pull the trigger on this backpack but can it hold to your opinion (with the all new XL insert):
- 2x Nikon Z9
- 1x Nikon 600mm f/4 TC
- 1x 100-400mm
- smaller stuff like spare batteries, memory cards, charger, ...

Thank you for your insight.
It should. What you get is one side that fits 600+z9 and other, slimmer side to fit 100-400, z9 and some spares. However, there are other compartments that are better to hold small items than the icu/rci/insert.

Me and my wife own shimoda x70 V1 and nya Evo 60c plus xl insert. Both backpacks have their unique perks and are very similar in terms of volume. Can't go wrong with any of these two, and their rolltops (nya Evo Has a separate one, while shimoda's is integrated with main compartment ... Which is limits back Access to camera with their largest insert). And the rolltops are the reason I like them more than fstop.

It should. What you get is one side that fits 600+z9 and other, slimmer side to fit 100-400, z9 and some spares. However, there are other compartments that are better to hold small items than the icu/rci/insert.

Me and my wife own shimoda x70 V1 and nya Evo 60c plus xl insert. Both backpacks have their unique perks and are very similar in terms of volume. Can't go wrong with any of these two, and their rolltops (nya Evo Has a separate one, while shimoda's is integrated with main compartment ... Which is limits back Access to camera with their largest insert). And the rolltops are the reason I like them more than fstop.
Thank you, I ordered one (in red). I was earlier in contact with my fellow countryman Jensen (owner and designer of Nya-Evo) and will give this one indeed a shot (alongside my MrJanGear Boris backpack).

Thank you, I ordered one (in red). I was earlier in contact with my fellow countryman Jensen (owner and designer of Nya-Evo) and will give this one indeed a shot (alongside my MrJanGear Boris backpack).
Please note that I own sony gear - it fits with the Hood on in reverse position. It is a tight fit in nya Evo, but totally ok.

So far those two backpacks are ones I like most. Maybe the new 650 awii from lowepro with some tweaking the top addon would be as good. Btw the helmet net is Perfect for attaching masking nets!

And Jensen is a super cool guy, listens to customers and tweaks his design a bit everytime.

Please note that I own sony gear - it fits with the Hood on in reverse position. It is a tight fit in nya Evo, but totally ok.

So far those two backpacks are ones I like most. Maybe the new 650 awii from lowepro with some tweaking the top addon would be as good. Btw the helmet net is Perfect for attaching masking nets!

And Jensen is a super cool guy, listens to customers and tweaks his design a bit everytime.
I looked to the new Lowepro 650 but not my thing, I had years ago a few of their backpacks and they never did it for me. The Nikon 600mm f/4 is like 12mm taller than the Sony, let's see how if fits (not). Indeed, Jensen is an easy to reach guy and knows his stuff. Another reason to select this company (but also the owner of MrJangear is easy approachable, a man of less words though).

Have you had any trouble with the NYA-EVO 60-C as carry-on for flights?

I managed to buy a 600mm f4 (don't have it yet) and I just measured my Lowepro (I think it's a AW600 but I'm not sure) and that's not gonna fit. I'm not surprised but I am surprised that I could find a 600mm, that's why I didn't look into it before. Altough I watched some youtube videos on the subject.
I've seen the f-stop shinn, which is quite expensive but my main concern is, will airline operators allow this as carry-on luggage?
International flights will be okay I guess but I'll also be on domestic flights, here in Canada but also in Mexico.
I'd like to hear some opinions on this. Suggestions for other backpacks maybe?
I use the backpack for short hikes, 10 kilometre range but also as a storage on a off-shore boat. Water resistance and comfortable to carry is important.
The rest of the equipment is:
Z9
500mm pf (probably)
105mm macro
58mm f1.4
105mm f1.4
14-24mm f2.8

Any insights are much appreciated.
The GuraGear 30 L fits my Z600 TC, Z100-400, 14 mm lens and a couple bodies in a bag that is nominally 5.5” deep that I will take on a few small planes to Shetland, Svalbard, and northern Norway. Weight restrictions may force me to put a couple bodies/lenses in my pockets until I get on the plane.

Have you had any trouble with the NYA-EVO 60-C as carry-on for flights?
I have not flown with it yet. But check out their insert which has a solid lid and straps. It was designed around the idea of putting the backpack into checked luggage and taking just the insert as a carry on. It has many convinient carrying features. I would surely check the limits of the considered flight operator.

I have traveled with tenba axis as a carry on before. It is an inferior bag in every aspect, but it did fit the flight restrictions (as well as Nya evo insert does), but at that time I did not have the Nya evo. Tenba is gone now.
On the other hand I have flown many times with carry on greater than the limit ... and had not problems.

Have Gura Gear Kiboko and Bataflae, Mindshift 36L, Nya Evo 60, Fstop Tilopa. For travel carrying, fitting on a plane, shooting out of a vehicle, the Gura Gear wins in a landslide. For ability to carry more than 25lbs and/or hike with any frequency or distance, the other bags are significantly better in terms of comfort and durability. All are well made and if you can afford it, I would get a Gura Gear and a Nya-Evo 60.

I used to carry all my gear in a large backpack. 2 D 850s and lenses. It just got to be too much, so moved to a wheeled suitcase. Small, about 18”x15”. I put my Z9, Z6II, a 600Z PF and 24-200 Z lens inside, lenses not mounted. Plenty of room, with side pockets for all my lithium batteries, and plenty of room to stuff miscellaneous clothing to last a day or two if my checked bag gets waylaid. My travel the past few years has been international, with several connections. So much easier to wheel all that weight through an airport. By the way, I’m 75 and not getting any younger or stronger.

Good luck,

CM

Back