Backup Strategy for Remote Shoots

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

That's really a philosophical question for each individual photographer rather than a tenet that should be universally accepted, though. I would never pass up a shot because it wasn't perfect. You never know what you're going to catch. Maybe if you're a professional who has a very specific shot in mind, that would work, but how many people here are full-time professional photographers? What percentage of wildlife photographers actually make money at it?
For me it has nothing to do with being a professional. It has to do with not needing 100 photos of the same bird standing, sitting , etc. Of a bird is about to fly, I will use pre-capture and/or take way too many shots when he continues to sit there.

BUT - it is valid to think about when, where and how much one is shooting as it relates to how many images are actually worth keeping.

For me it has nothing to do with being a professional. It has to do with not needing 100 photos of the same bird standing, sitting , etc. Of a bird is about to fly, I will use pre-capture and/or take way too many shots when he continues to sit there.

BUT - it is valid to think about when, where and how much one is shooting as it relates to how many images are actually worth keeping.

Of course it's valid to think about. But I don't believe it's a universally-applicable philosophy. I've had SO many photo opportunities where I picked out what I thought were the best shots and ignored others at a cursory glance because the ones around them didn't seem interesting, but later I found that the animal had a particular expression or stance or something about one of the images I probably wouldn't have taken had I gone by that philosophy made that image special. It's better to take 1000 images and throw away 999 than to skip the 1000 and miss the one, IMHO.

Congratulations on your back up solution. That's a good step. I have had a 2 TB portable solid state drive for several years. Just be sure to use fast cables or cables capable of high speed data transfer.

Given the volume you are photographing each day, I would give some thought about how to triage your work and delete 80-90% or more of the images. For wildlife, unless it is a rare subject the image needs to be excellent to have any meaningful use. For example, you don't want to apply presets in Lightroom or Camera Raw if you are deleting 90% of the images - and that can speed up your workflow dramatically.

Arthur Morris goes through all of his images on a daily basis after any shoot - regardless of how many images he makes. He selects 5-10 images or less from the day that are "Selects" and discards the rest. Only the Selects are backed up. Certainly you could make an exception if you have a particular sequence that is exceptionally good or unique, but for a typical burst every photo or every photo but one or two would be discards. None of this involves studying the images or dwelling on your decision - it's a discard unless it's good enough to hang on your wall or publish.

Burst shooting is a clear place to work on discarding more images. If you have a clear idea of what you are trying to accomplish, a borderline image or less than perfect image is an easy discard. You can discard an entire sequence based on head position or wing position. High frame rates should not mean you keep any more images - it means you have a better chance of an ideally timed image, but most of the images are not keepers.
Thanks Eric. I'm certain that I'll keep just a few shots from each day, but which ones are the issue. I can't look at that many and still get any sleep. Arthur is much better at this then I am, or will ever be, so I'll have to look at them when I'm not on the shoot. Prior to the Z9 this was much easier.

Thanks Eric. I'm certain that I'll keep just a few shots from each day, but which ones are the issue. I can't look at that many and still get any sleep. Arthur is much better at this then I am, or will ever be, so I'll have to look at them when I'm not on the shoot. Prior to the Z9 this was much easier.
It's definitely a skill that needs to be learned and developed. With high volume's you have to take the approach that you are only selecting the ones to keep. If the image does not jump out due to composition, exposure, framing, and subject matter, it's not even a candidate. If you use a practical limit of 20-50 images from a day, you become pretty ruthless about discarding borderline images. I admit - that's not my approach. But for wildlife I do discard a very high percentage because there is so little value in anything but the best images.

Perhaps in addition to increasing your storage capacity, you can also evaluate your shooting approach. I have found that as my skills - and portfolio - have evolved, I tend to be much more selective on what and when I shoot. I no longer need to rip of 20 fps for a long time, over and over again of the same subject sitting on a perch, standing in the water, etc. If the light is not great, if the pose or background are not good, I simply pass on taking the shot(s).
Sadly, I too am being more selective about my shots, but I'm still blowing it out of the water with volume. I put a limit on my bursts and pay a lot more attention to framing and background, and then a little Sora Rail will come out to play or a Bobcat will walk by with its dinner. It feels sacrilege to complain about this "problem."

That's really a philosophical question for each individual photographer rather than a tenet that should be universally accepted, though. I would never pass up a shot because it wasn't perfect. You never know what you're going to catch. Maybe if you're a professional who has a very specific shot in mind, that would work, but how many people here are full-time professional photographers? What percentage of wildlife photographers actually make money at it?
I must admit that I'm not really making money at this, and my eyes aren't sharp enough to know what's not good enough without a computer. I also don't pass up a potential shot, because it's not film and it might be the one. In the end, storage is cheap. Thanks.

I must admit that I'm not really making money at this, and my eyes aren't sharp enough to know what's not good enough without a computer. I also don't pass up a potential shot, because it's not film and it might be the one. In the end, storage is cheap. Thanks.

That's another thing to consider. If you take a couple shots and just look at them on the back of your camera, maybe they're actually sharp and in focus and maybe they're not. If there's something pretty much stationary, I'll take some shots at one shutter speed, some at another, some at higher ISOs, some at lower, different apertures and sometimes even switch between focus modes. Yeah, maybe only a few of the shots are unique but I'd just hate to miss a shot because something screwed up and the image wasn't sharp.
That happened once in 2012 in Yellowstone. Wolves on a kill. Not that far away, maybe 70-80 yards, but the first half hour or hour's worth of images were ruined by heat waves that I couldn't really see on the back of the camera. Small ones but enough to throw them off, make them not quite sharp. I stayed there and took hundreds of more images and eventually, conditions improved and I wound up with dozens of usable shots.

Thanks Vincent. This is very sensible. I try to do this to the extent I can. My laptop, a 17" LG Gram, can't hold this much data so I have to go from the reader (ProGrade CFexpress USB 3.1) to the WD Passport (USB3.0) directly. That's my hardware bottleneck I believe. It slows the copy to around 25MB/sec, even though the laptop has USB3.1.

To really make it as quick as possible I think I might need a new laptop that will support the latest USB 4 standard, and a reader to match. And I would ensure I had a large enough NVMe to temporarily store the data, much like you're doing....

Unless I could quickly go from the reader to the external SSD. Then I would do it that way to save the time copying to the laptop, and I would save the wear and tear on the laptop NVMe. I've actually worn them out with too much TBW, and I don't have any control on what LG puts in them (TBW rating). Wish I could specify the NVMe drive for a build.

Like you, I'm not going to waste my shooting time culling shots because time is so precious during a shoot away. It's nice to think that I might be doing the things I need to do. Thanks.
This is my fastest card reader:
https://www.angelbird.com/prod/cfexpress-type-b-card-reader-mk2-2877/?category=241

Another bottleneck are poor USB cables. I have USB-C charging cables, perfect for ... charging but horrible for data transfer. Everything must indeed be top notch if you want the best/fastest solution possible.

I currently travel with Samsung T7 drives, if these are full will I buy the all new T9 or perhaps the shiny OWC Express 1M2.

This is my fastest card reader:
https://www.angelbird.com/prod/cfexpress-type-b-card-reader-mk2-2877/?category=241

Another bottleneck are poor USB cables. I have USB-C charging cables, perfect for ... charging but horrible for data transfer. Everything must indeed be top notch if you want the best/fastest solution possible.

I currently travel with Samsung T7 drives, if these are full will I buy the all new T9 or perhaps the shiny OWC Express 1M2.
Wouldn't it be awesome to just plug the camera into a laptop with a LAN cable or really fast USB cable and copy directly to an external SSD? Just using the File Explorer. I'm trying to find out if this is possible now, but it turns out to be a hard question. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Has anyone tried this (or something like it): https://www.clouzen.net/clouzen-tainer - I don't have a laptop (just a desktop) - but will be on a trip that will require back ups on the go.

My other option would be to go the "card to iPad to SSDs' via a (powered) USB hub - but the iPad is so big/bulky ;-)

You should buy a laptop. They're not that expensive. You don't need one powerful enough to edit photos, just one you can use to back them up.

You should buy a laptop. They're not that expensive. You don't need one powerful enough to edit photos, just one you can use to back them up.
Yeah, been going back/forth on this (size/weight is one concern) - another advantage to the laptop approach is that one can look at the images big screen - that way I could tell if my "skills" were resulting in sharp photos ;-)

Yeah, been going back/forth on this (size/weight is one concern) - another advantage to the laptop approach is that one can look at the images big screen - that way I could tell if my "skills" were resulting in sharp photos ;-)
I have a 13" HP laptop that I really like. It is about 2.5-3 lbs. Previously I had an Asus that was good also.

I have a 13" HP laptop that I really like. It is about 2.5-3 lbs. Previously I had an Asus that was good also.
I also opted for a light-weight laptop. My 17" Gram, which is awesome, weighs just 2.97 lbs. The 16" is about 2.4 lbs I think. Not cheap, but it's the best choice I've made (after many expensive mistakes).

I'm trying to find out if the Z9 will do a direct connection to a LAN cable or USB cable that might obviate the need for a reader. If so, and if fast, that would be ideal.
remember that LAN is only 1Gb/s Ethernet, so lot slower than 10Gb/s USB readily available for card readers.

also, remember USB on the Z9 is only 5Gb/s, and i don't think they prioritize transfer speed, so this may work out to be a lot slower than a card reader in practice

That's brilliant, and expensive. I shoot 1TB Lexar Silver Professional now. The card is now available for about $200 I think, and I'm not shooting 8K video, so it should be fine. At this heavy rate, a card would take maybe 2 days to fill. It's a 21 day trip, with perhaps 14 shoot days, so 7 cards plus backup cards (copy setting), for the Z9. So 14 CFE cards, or about $2800. Then the Z8, but it's not as busy. Perhaps another 4 CFexpress cards and 4 SDHX cards.

This actually is pretty sensible. A new laptop that meets the USB4 standard and has a 4TB NVMe could cost more than the cards. Aaah, but the card isn't as much fun outside the camera, and I can't cull shots on a down day very well without the PC. Still, it's worth considering. Thanks.

That math is pretty crazy. I've never shot that much in my life, so kudos to you.

But you can also look at it as an investment - and expect to resell the cards after the trip, or keep them for many years. I'm relatively new to photography so I don't know how long the cycles are - but if CF Express lasts another 5 or 10 years, you'll easily get more trips and more value from that method.

I used to transfer to a laptop and edit and stuff, but I found it was too tedious and took up too much space. Editing on a laptop is also a PITA compared to a dedicated desktop. I'd much rather view my stuff at 55" 4K than 15" 4K or whatever.

So I sold the laptop around $1500 I think and invested in cards instead. Was a significant improvement in my life in all regards.

Has anyone tried this (or something like it): https://www.clouzen.net/clouzen-tainer - I don't have a laptop (just a desktop) - but will be on a trip that will require back ups on the go.

My other option would be to go the "card to iPad to SSDs' via a (powered) USB hub - but the iPad is so big/bulky ;-)
That Clouzen-tainer looks like a good idea. The price isn't bad either. I guess that I'd probably need some room on my Google Drive to use it, which would add a bit to the cost, but I could put a 4tb NVMe drive in the Basic unit. I think I need to look at the reliability. Thanks.

That math is pretty crazy. I've never shot that much in my life, so kudos to you.

But you can also look at it as an investment - and expect to resell the cards after the trip, or keep them for many years. I'm relatively new to photography so I don't know how long the cycles are - but if CF Express lasts another 5 or 10 years, you'll easily get more trips and more value from that method.

I used to transfer to a laptop and edit and stuff, but I found it was too tedious and took up too much space. Editing on a laptop is also a PITA compared to a dedicated desktop. I'd much rather view my stuff at 55" 4K than 15" 4K or whatever.

So I sold the laptop around $1500 I think and invested in cards instead. Was a significant improvement in my life in all regards.
I appreciate the insight. Thanks.

remember that LAN is only 1Gb/s Ethernet, so lot slower than 10Gb/s USB readily available for card readers.

also, remember USB on the Z9 is only 5Gb/s, and i don't think they prioritize transfer speed, so this may work out to be a lot slower than a card reader in practice
Thank so much for the info. Didn't know about the USB speeds. Still, last night at 1AM I was watching the transfer at 25MB/s as it slowly drug on and on. It made great logic to help me find a better way. Both the LAN and the USB look a lot faster to me. If I could bypass the reader entirely and connect directly to the camera at those speeds, that seems like it would be a great method for this.

I take enough in the way of memory cards to cover me for a trip with no need to upload the files until I get home. With the Z9 shooting HE* Raw files that compress 36 files to 2.4GB, I make my calculations accordingly. I also calculate the minutes of video shooting at 4k 60p that a card can contain. For video with 8K/60p a 2TB card can hold 18 hours of video which is plenty.

The best deal overall for me has been the Delkin 2TB Power CFexpress card and this is what is used in my Z9 cameras in their #2 slot. They are primarily used to internally record video but I have tested them shooting stills at 20 fps for long bursts with zero issues of any kind with the Z9. Each of these cards can hold 27,000 image files. BH Photo is selling them for $600 which is one of the better values in terms of GB per dollar. Prices change with this particular card and my first one that I purchased in March of 2023 cost me $500.

I take enough in the way of memory cards to cover me for a trip with no need to upload the files until I get home. With the Z9 shooting HE* Raw files that compress 36 files to 2.4GB, I make my calculations accordingly. I also calculate the minutes of video shooting at 4k 60p that a card can contain. For video with 8K/60p a 2TB card can hold 18 hours of video which is plenty.

The best deal overall for me has been the Delkin 2TB Power CFexpress card and this is what is used in my Z9 cameras in their #2 slot. They are primarily used to internally record video but I have tested them shooting stills at 20 fps for long bursts with zero issues of any kind with the Z9. Each of these cards can hold 27,000 image files. BH Photo is selling them for $600 which is one of the better values in terms of GB per dollar. Prices change with this particular card and my first one that I purchased in March of 2023 cost me $500.
Thanks for the info. You've put some thought into this. I appreciate it.

Back