Backup without a computer?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Karl Gillard

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Afternoon all! Just a quick question. The wife and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone, Glacier, and the Tetons later this year. I’ll be bringing my Nikon D5 and Nikon Z7, both of which will be using XQD and CFexpress Type B cards. I keep three backups on portable hard drives here at home, but they are powered by the USB on the computer, and the files are transferred to the computer’s hard drive via card readers. Is there a way to backup the camera’s files to a backup hard drive without a computer, either directly to a portable drive or from a XQD or CFExpress card reader to a portable drive?

I’d like to not have to bring my computer, even though we’ll be staying in our travel trailer, but if I have to, so be it. As always, I appreciate your suggestions and input!
Karl

An iPad will do it if you have enough memory on board. You download the files to the pad and then plug in the external drive and copy over. I have this as a back up option but typically just use my MacBook Pro. There are some hard drives available that will do this but they are rather pricy and there isn't a way without a computer to actually know for 100% everything transferred without error.

Hey David! I have an iPad, not sure about the memory size. So, what you’re saying is to copy directly from the camera to the iPad? Is there a special connector necessary? And then to copy from the iPad to the backup drive? I have a USB to Type C connector for the iPad. I guess I could just bring my card readers, plug them into the USB to type C and copy directly from the card And then transfer to a backup drive? Will the iPad power the drive? Sorry for all the computer related questions. Never had to deal with my pics that way.

Yes I have iPad pros that have usb c connectors. I create a folder on the iPad plug in the card reader copy and paste. Then remove card reader and plug in SSD drive and copy and paste to drive. I then delete the files off the iPad and repeat. I bought iPads with 256 gig of memory and until today my largest card is 160g so even if a card is full I can move the entire card on one try. If you don’t have the iPad drive space you can still make it work but will be more effort only selecting some at a time rather than the entire card. I’m also shooting 50MP cameras and using lossless raw so my files are larger than your D5 will produce.

Yes my iPad will power the drive.

An iPad will do it if you have enough memory on board. You download the files to the pad and then plug in the external drive and copy over. I have this as a back up option but typically just use my MacBook Pro. There are some hard drives available that will do this but they are rather pricy and there isn't a way without a computer to actually know for 100% everything transferred without error.
Hey again David! Answered my own question by plugging in the portable hard drive. Works just fine! Thanks for the help!

Yes I have iPad pros that have usb c connectors. I create a folder on the iPad plug in the card reader copy and paste. Then remove card reader and plug in SSD drive and copy and paste to drive. I then delete the files off the iPad and repeat. I bought iPads with 256 gig of memory and until today my largest card is 160g so even if a card is full I can move the entire card on one try. If you don’t have the iPad drive space you can still make it work but will be more effort only selecting some at a time rather than the entire card. I’m also shooting 50MP cameras and using lossless raw so my files are larger than your D5 will produce.
Storage is 512gb. I will clean unnecessary programs off the iPad to allow maximum space (just for the trip) and get two WD Passport drives for backup. As always, the question has been answered. Thanks abunch!

I just went through the mental gymnastics on this for a trip to Africa which included 3 people and 5 bodies - one person was primarily shooting video. There used to be devices such as Nexto DI and also Western Digital My Passport Wireless SSD that were good as long as you had large enough drives in them. However, they have been discontinued. I then started looking at building my own backup system with a Raspberry Pi - this would have worked but the USB throughput was less than stellar. So what I finally ended up with was a Chromebook with dual USB 3.2 ports so I could put the card reader on one port and a external ssd drive on the other port. The Chromebook was around $110 USD and the external drives obviously vary with price. I bought two 2 TB drives and backed up from one to the other each night. Turns out that after two weeks I only used about 1 TB on each - one person wasn't shooting all that much and the trip was a bit hot and cold (in terms of opportunities not weather).

I didn't do any editing or culling while in Africa so this setup was just fine and lightweight.

I’ve a sandisc SSD … so I use a usb-c cable to transfer from camera to iPad, then the same cable used to copy from the iPad to the Sandisc SSD. Essentially I get two copies ie backups. I’ve Affinity Photo on both iPad and Mac, so I can, but rarely do, edit out in the field

FWIW: I take my old 2012 MacBook Pro when I travel and transfer directly from the XQD and CFE-B cards using a Sony "bi-lingual" card reader to a Sandisk External Portable SSD via the laptop and duplicate the transfer to a second Sandisk EP SSD in the same sitting. I then check that the transfer to each SSD is complete, accurate and readable before I delete the files from the camera card. I never transfer files from one SSD to the other - been burnt before with that!

Surprisingly the Thunderbolt ports on the old MBP can keep up with the current maximum SSD write speed. All this probably sounds tedious to many of you and it means more gear to tote around and more daily file transfer time but it works for me and ensures that I have stored two separate copies of every photo. I currently only shoot with a Nikon Z7 and Z9 so a side benefit of toting the MBP with me is having Nikon NX Studio available to view and/or edit photos if necessary while I am traveling.

You won’t even need to use your iPad’s onboard storage in order to transfer your files to the external drive. iPad mini plus SanDisk 4TB Extreme Portable SSD + card reader all connected via USB-C hub. Just used Files app to select images on card and copy to folder on SSD. IIRC, transfer rate was about 6GB/min.

8C427C9C-D649-4B5A-9DE5-5351FB004FED.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Afternoon all! Just a quick question. The wife and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone, Glacier, and the Tetons later this year. I’ll be bringing my Nikon D5 and Nikon Z7, both of which will be using XQD and CFexpress Type B cards. I keep three backups on portable hard drives here at home, but they are powered by the USB on the computer, and the files are transferred to the computer’s hard drive via card readers. Is there a way to backup the camera’s files to a backup hard drive without a computer, either directly to a portable drive or from a XQD or CFExpress card reader to a portable drive?

I’d like to not have to bring my computer, even though we’ll be staying in our travel trailer, but if I have to, so be it. As always, I appreciate your suggestions and input!
Karl
I’m intrigued by this post and the answers you’ve received. I may be technologically challenged, but I’ve never had all that much luck transferring my many 45MB files shot each day to backup storage using my iPad. Maybe it’s because I like to do some file review in the field (more than is possible in the camera LCD), just to be sure things are as expected, and if not then adjust accordingly next day. For this, I use my lightweight Lenovo laptop, which easily provides not only file transfer but the ability to do some editing quick as needed. For backups, I carry two Samsung 2TB drives, and keep one on my person and the other in the car or hotel room.

My only advice to you is to practice transferring lots of files at home using your iPad, just to be sure that it works as you intend, before going to Yellowstone/Tetons. There’s nothing worse than discovering an unpleasant surprise when you’re hundreds of miles from home. Good luck!

Here's what I did: Bought two 2tb WD EasyStore drives (made by WD for BestBuy, but the same as WD Passport) and in the process of formatting as we speak. I'm intrigued by Mitesh's setup and will look into that method. Once I transfer the files to the iPad, I may take a look and delete those unworthy of saving. Other than that, no editing until we get home. Then backup to the two portable drives and delete those on the iPad. Per Abinoone's advice, I completed a test run and everything worked great.

So....6-10 64gb cards, two 2tb drives, a handful of USB drives, and the iPad with 512gb should suffice for 2-4 weeks!

Thank y'all much!!
Karl

There are many ways to approach the problem of backing up photos while traveling. What has worked well for me is a combination of high capacity memory cards and external USB SSD drives.

If I am planning on taking 4-64GB cards as my main cards, I will take 2-128GB cards or 1-256GB card to use as backup. I can then shoot mirrored 64GB cards and then back those up to the high capacity card, and then back that card up to the USB drive. That gives me three copies of each file, assuming no deleting. If you don’t need three copies, you can skip either the mirrored shooting or the high capacity backup card.

This is just one of many possible solutions. It’s my preferred method because it gives me peace of mind having multiple copies of each file, while also allowing me to travel light with minimal bulk.

You won’t even need to use your iPad’s onboard storage in order to transfer your files to the external drive. iPad mini plus SanDisk 4TB Extreme Portable SSD + card reader all connected via USB-C hub. Just used Files app to select images on card and copy to folder on SSD. IIRC, transfer rate was about 6GB/min.

View attachment 53626
Oh that’s a good idea! Hadn’t thought about a hub. Thank you for that!!

This is exactly what I use since I'm often away on a photo trip for a while and would easily fill my iPad in a few days. With this setup, you don't even need an iPad, you can use your iPhone to move files from your card reader to a portable SSD.

This is exactly what I use since I'm often away on a photo trip for a while and would easily fill my iPad in a few days. With this setup, you don't even need an iPad, you can use your iPhone to move files from your card reader to a portable SSD.

Absolutely. My preference for the iPad is mainly because the USB-C interface makes the file copying process quicker. Once the iPhone gets the USB-C port, I would definitely just use that instead.

I pretty much do what David explained. I import onto my iPad then transfer to a Samsung T7 SSD . The only difference is that I import directly into Apple Photos first for quick edits and then move to SSD. No issues at all.

My problem with a USB hub on a phone was that the throughput was miserable. However this was with an Android phone so maybe the channel traffic to and from the iPad has much better throughput. If you've tested it out and the speed is acceptable then that's great news. Something I might look into next time (though my chromebook solution is probably cheaper than buying an iPad at this time).

Since I already spend a lot of time on my computers during the year, when I travel for fun, I don’t bring a computer or a tablet.

To save my photo files, I have 2 NEXTODI NPS-10

Among the benefits (and there are many):
  • One can install very easily HDD or SSD. I've 4To SSD and this is really a pleasure to use. On top, I have 2 additional 2To SSD, in case 4To is not enough. Internal disks are really easy to change (No screwdriver needed)
  • Those guys have an USB-C port, which means that external card reader can be added and recognised if the format of your card is not one of those natively available in the NPS-10. For example, the SONY CF Express type A are not integrated in the NPS-10, but I connect Sony external reader and it works like a charm.
  • Very light
  • Fast transfer rate
To protect the NPS-10, I have small Pelicase boxes (Model : Peli 1020 Micro case series) Looks like they were designed specifically for the NPS-10 as they fit right in.

To backup my files, I transfer them alternately to each of the two NPS-10, then I reformat the cards. And that's it.

Image from NEXTODI site:

main_nps10.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
I highly endorse trying whatever solution you choose with large batches of images *before you leave home*…and I personally would use a powered hub instead of an unpowered one. There are also external drives that have card slots in them…but I’ve on
y seen them with SD so if you use CF B cards that might be an issue.

if I really wanted to be light and wasn’t taking my laptop (unlikely for a multi week trip as I do some PP on the road for the blog and while I could do that with my iPad the laptop is better for it) I would probably use this iPad idea. As it is…I’m still in the air about taking my 14 MBP or my wife’s M1 Air on our trip this summer…lighter vs better monitor and drive space.

I use a MacBook Pro 13" M1, 16GB memory 1TB internal SSD. Not much bigger than an iPad. I backup to a OWC Envoy Pro SX 2TB SSD and a 1TB SSD. I also need to recharge laptop, mouse and iPhone while on the road... Use the best cables, OWC Thunderbolt 4.

I've done the transfers into photos on a MacBook air as above and also have connecters to send stuff directly to an SSD, but I have only done it successfully with jpg images. When I tried to transfer raw images (high efficiency star) from my Z9 I couldn't open anything for review. Is that because Photos doesn't support raw or this high efficiency type of raw? Or did I miss something in the process?

I am also interested in hearing how people review (and delete) quickly after a days shoot. I don't have experience with Lightroom.

There used to be devices such as Nexto DI and also Western Digital My Passport Wireless SSD that were good as long as you had large enough drives in them. However, they have been discontinued.

This is what I use, the WD "My Passport Wireless SSD" (and also the older non-SSD "My Passport Wireless Pro Portable")

First just for clarity: This is not the same as the "WD My Passport", which are just drives. (I mention this because the OP did above.)

The 2 Wireless SSD/Pro models (of various sizes) have batteries, wireless, SD card slot and USB port (for card readers of non-SD cards). So they are completely independent and need no computer, not even an iPad with hub. This means that they're portable enough to even take in your camera bag / back pack and back up files in the very remote field. You have 8 hours of on power, which can last for days.

EDIT: The wireless part is good in the field because you can check with your phone to be sure copies happened and also preview images (so you don't need one of those backup devices with a preview screen, which eats batteries quicker). Plus, the wireless lets you check the device dashboard for settings and stats.

And yes, they are discontinued, but they can still be had if you have deep enough pockets. **

But the good news is that a month or so back, I got a received a questionnaire from WD about these kinds of devices, asking how I used them and various other user focus / study questions. That probably means that they're considering some new models.

Chris

** for the more tech savvy: you can even get the older non-SSD Wireless Pros and update them with SSDs, if you find some cheap enough or actually have some of the older ones. There are youtube videos for this.

Last edited:
I've been using the iPAD method for a few years - started with the first 1 Tb iPad Pro. But I also keep the SD cards from the second slot and never write over them. The camera is set to use at slot as a back-up so I always have that as a last resort.

I've done the transfers into photos on a MacBook air as above and also have connecters to send stuff directly to an SSD, but I have only done it successfully with jpg images. When I tried to transfer raw images (high efficiency star) from my Z9 I couldn't open anything for review. Is that because Photos doesn't support raw or this high efficiency type of raw? Or did I miss something in the process?

I am also interested in hearing how people review (and delete) quickly after a days shoot. I don't have experience with Lightroom.
Hi Pat! I don't have a MacBook, but do use an iPad Pro. I have had no problem transferring RAW files from either the XQD or CFexpress Type B cards to the iPad, or from the iPad to the WD Passport drives, and visa-versa. I use an android desktop at home with Lightroom Classic/Photoshop. There are times the files are saved as "tif" or files after I edit, and "Photos" doesn't want to read them. Same problem when I try to put a photo on FaceBook. Have no problems whatsoever with "jpeg" files.

I find Lightroom Classic (which I've had for a little over 2-years) really easy to edit with, but some of the guys here have mentioned using other programs. Review and delete just involve a couple clicks! I use the $10.99 monthly fee package that contain Lightroom Classic and Photoshop. Hope this helps abit!

Back