Bad XQD Card

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

SBurkholder

Supporting Member
Marketplace
After a full day shooting, I went to download my XQD card to my computer and it said that the file system was not recognized and that I needed to re-format the card. Stuck the card back into the camera to see if it worked there and camera said that I needed to format the card before use. Ouch, probably 700-800 images were on that card. Anybody have any ideas what I can do? I haven't reformated the card at this point.

You are very welcome! Glad it worked. I was off to bed when I saw your post, but knew how scary it was to think that all those photos were lost!

Any idea what happened? Brand and size of card? New card? Full format when new before using?

You are very welcome! Glad it worked. I was off to bed when I saw your post, but knew how scary it was to think that all those photos were lost!

Any idea what happened? Brand and size of card? New card? Full format when new before using?
I’m not sure why it went bad. It’s a card that I’ve had for a least a couple of years. 120Gb. I do a camera reformat each morning before starting out. Never reformat in my PC. It is a Sony card. Not sure about trusting it going forward. Man they are expensive. I’ve got a couple of additional cards but they are only 64Gb each which I can fill up on an active day.

I’m not sure why it went bad. It’s a card that I’ve had for a least a couple of years. 120Gb. I do a camera reformat each morning before starting out. Never reformat in my PC. It is a Sony card. Not sure about trusting it going forward. Man they are expensive. I’ve got a couple of additional cards but they are only 64Gb each which I can fill up on an active day.
Time to retire that card or a least put in the bag and only use if necessary. Its possible that a file was corrupted and the card is okay but not worth the risk.

I’m currently on a first time trip to MaGee Marsh and Pt Pelee. Now is definitely not the time to be trusting photos to a questionable card. Maybe I’ll play with it a little when I get back home. But as far as trusting it in the future, no way will I do that.

Enjoy your trip! I'm planning to visit Magee Marsh for the first time next year. Let me know what your experience...
I'm back from MaGee after ten days there as well as Pt. Pelee on the Canadian Side. At MaGee we saw greater numbers of warblers, at Pt. Pelee we saw greater diversity of warblers. Don't let the crowds scare you off. There were only crowds around specific birds, and the people were often very helpful in pointing out difficult to see birds, e.g. American Woodcock, Sora, EA. Whip-poor-will. I wouldn't have seen any of these birds without the crowd. It was an incredible experience and thinking about doing it again. Interesting to note that the people carrying the big glass were often shooting Nikon, then Canon, and then Sony. This was just my observation and it totally contradicts the sales numbers of the big three.

Back