Baffled: Nikkor Z 400mm "anti-theft" cable question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I know this must be a hopelessly noob question, but I'm completely stumped. I think I've finally figured out all the other bells and whistles of my lens, but I am baffled by this. The lens manual states:

"13 Security slot (for anti-theft cable)
Attach a third party anti-theft cable. For more information, see the documentation provided with the cable."

I'm not baffled about where the slot is. I can see where it is. What baffles me is, what anti-theft cable? From what third party? When I search for information online, "cable" is a very common word. Nothing comes up specific for anti-theft cables, all kinds of other cables related to making videos or longer release stills comes up. Can somebody give me a link? The name of the product? Any kind of hint? I feel like an idiot...

I previously had a Samsung smart tag attached to the lens so if it walked off, I could find it again, but I kept accidentally beeping it at weird times. If there's a different and better kind of anti-theft/anti-forgetting-it option, I do want to know what it is. Thank you in advance.

Yeah, Kensington locks are commonly used with some laptop computers to keep someone from walking away with the laptop. All you need to get around them is a decent pair of wire cutters. They fit in your pocket, pull it out, one unobserved snip, pick up the lens and walk away.

Not that I have ever done that. :devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish: Just don't tempt me by leaving your 600mm f4 tc vr laying around, secured only by a Kensington lock.:):):):):)

IMG_9076.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Yeah, Kensington locks are commonly used with some laptop computers to keep someone from walking away with the laptop. All you need to get around them is a decent pair of wire cutters. They fit in your pocket, pull it out, one unobserved snip, pick up the lens and walk away.

Not that I have ever done that. :devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish: Just don't tempt me by leaving your 600mm f4 tc vr laying around, secured only by a Kensington lock.:):):):):)
What keeps someone from walking away with my laptop is I travel with cheap laptops. :ROFLMAO:

i think they basically have done this for people using remote cameras

it seems like a handy feature

unfortunately the kensington site is clear as mud and it’s hard to tell if any given lock is going to fit 🤨

Back