Bags, backpacks and stuff

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

McStamp

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Do we not all know the endless discussions about the ideal bag, backpack, trolley or whatever. So I am throwing out my net and ask: Which backpacks are you taking with you, should you wish to take two large lenses with you? Say, you are heading out on Kodiak Island for some eagles and bears, and you wish to have your 400 TC and your 800 PF (hehehe, my combo ...) with you, and say an additional TC, a rainjacket, some water and food?
I do not raise the question here, why airlines have not yet organized themselves for photographers to carry their equipment on board ...

I would take my Nya-Evo and the large camera insert…but would then need more to carry the bodies and such so would upgrade from the 36C to the 60C size…if I didn’t have a spouse who can carry the other backpack and some of the stuff.

For me, when taking two long lenses, the choice is easy: MrJanGear Boris IV backpack. Easily swallows my Sony 400/2.8 and 600/4 lenses with hoods reversed AND camera bodies attached. Room for a 24-105 or set of TCs as well, plus plenty of pouches for sundries like extra batteries or cleaning cloths. I’ve recommended this backpack to quite a few people who are all pleased with it.

I also have one of their waterproof outer shells which the Boris can be placed in when around water.

Look for backpacks with customizable dividers to fit your gear securely. Brands like Lowepro, Think Tank, or Peak Design offer options that can accommodate multiple large lenses and additional essentials like a rain jacket, water, and snacks for a trip to Kodiak Island.

By the way, if you ever want a break from wildlife photography and find yourself in the US, exploring some of the fantastic us theme parks could be a fun way to unwind! They offer a mix of thrilling rides and entertainment for everyone.

Last edited:
I do not raise the question here, why airlines have not yet organized themselves for photographers to carry their equipment on board ...
Actually (in the USA anyway) the FAA passed a regulation many years ago that says professional photographers are entitled to take a second carryon bag if it is only photography equipment. Of course it is another matter figuring out how to prove you are a professional (or even how you define that) and making sure the specific flight attendant you are dealing with is aware of that regulation.

Back