Bald Eagle Family Photos Part 2

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Fishboy1952

Supporting Member
Marketplace
So I’ve been continuing to follow this pair of eagles and their 2 chicks. The adults continued to bring in food for the kids, including some good sized catfish from a nearby lake. Both continued to grow and started to exercise their wings in preparation for fledging. This continued until around April 6. I went by in the morning and saw the older chick vigorously exercising while the apparent younger one was doing some branching. I later got a text from the nest watcher volunteer from Arizona Game and Fish and a local wildlife organization, who said the nest was empty. I went by and spoke with the volunteer. The nest tree is located on the property of a rock and gravel company right and right next to an excavation pit. We both saw one of the kids standing in the bottom of the pit, about 100’ below the nest. Both adults were nearby. Later the other chick was observed perched in a nearby tree.

Arizona Game and Fish was notified and performed a rescue early the next morning. They believe that a swarm of bees flushed both chicks out of the nest, as the eyes of the rescued eaglet were swollen shut. One flew successfully and the other flew/fell. The eaglet was taken to the local wildlife hospital. Except for the eyes, it wasn’t seriously hurt. Since then the swelling subsided with treatment and the eaglet is learning to fly at their facility. It should complete its recovery and be released. The rest of the family is doing well. The adults continue to do food drops to the nest and the eaglet is very active flying. It will probably finally leave the nest within the next month

NZ9_0904.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The male bringing in breakfast

NZ9_5323.jpeg

Mother and child doing some branching
Attachment.jpeg

Az Game and Fish rescue

NZ9_9695.jpeg

Performing a flyby

NZ9_9720.jpeg

Flying in the early morning.

It’s been a lot of fun and a learning experience watching this family this year. I’m really glad that the one wasn’t seriously hurt.

Last edited:
So I’ve been continuing to follow this pair of eagles and their 2 chicks. The adults continued to bring in food for the kids, including some good sized catfish from a nearby lake. Both continued to grow and started to exercise their wings in preparation for fledging. This continued until around April 6. I went by in the morning and saw the older chick vigorously exercising while the apparent younger one was doing some branching. I later got a text from the nest watcher volunteer from Arizona Game and Fish and a local wildlife organization, who said the nest was empty. I went by and spoke with the volunteer. The nest tree is located on the property of a rock and gravel company right and right next to an excavation pit. We both saw one of the kids standing in the bottom of the pit, about 100’ below the nest. Both adults were nearby. Later the other chick was observed perched in a nearby tree.

Arizona Game and Fish was notified and performed a rescue early the next morning. They believe that a swarm of bees flushed both chicks out of the nest, as the eyes of the rescued eaglet were swollen shut. One flew successfully and the other flew/fell. The eaglet was taken to the local wildlife hospital. Except for the eyes, it wasn’t seriously hurt. Since then the swelling subsided with treatment and the eaglet is learning to fly at their facility. It should complete its recovery and be released. The rest of the family is doing well. The adults continue to food drops to the nest and the eaglet is very active flying. It will probably finally leave the nest within the next month

View attachment 87674

View attachment 87675
View attachment 87676
Az Game and Fish rescue

View attachment 87677
Performing a flyby

View attachment 87678

It’s been a lot of fun and a learning experience watching this family this year. I’m really glad that the one wasn’t seriously hurt.
Wonderful story and set of images Doug.
Happy trails.

Arizona Game and Fish was notified and performed a rescue early the next morning. They believe that a swarm of bees flushed both chicks out of the nest, as the eyes of the rescued eaglet were swollen shut. One flew successfully and the other flew/fell. The eaglet was taken to the local wildlife hospital. Except for the eyes, it wasn’t seriously hurt. Since then the swelling subsided with treatment and the eaglet is learning to fly at their facility. It should complete its recovery and be released. The rest of the family is doing well. The adults continue to do food drops to the nest and the eaglet is very active flying. It will probably finally leave the nest within the next month

View attachment 87674

View attachment 87675
View attachment 87676
Az Game and Fish rescue

View attachment 87677
Performing a flyby

View attachment 87678

Interesting story and some nice shots Doug. Thanks for the update👍👍👍

Back