Bald Eagle + Grey Skies = ???

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It is hard dealing with the white sky and the Eagles head and tail.
Where I normally shoot in the winter, the majority of the time the sky is white, or grey, and the Eagles are fly with a wooded congested background.
Flying through shadows and severe lighting changes.
I have trouble with overexposing the head. Only time I usually get blue skies are days after a snow storm, which we haven't had any of this year.
Your photo looks great!!!
Love the detail on the bird.

Th photo is fantastic. My only question would be; is that cropped or what you had in the frame? I have 3 or 4 eagle nests around me and many are with the birds sitting on a branch. I find that sometimes, if I don't crop so tight and show more tree that adds to the interest of the photo. Sometimes, more tree adds to the photo. Good luck, excellent capture. See the 2 photos below. I like them both but the added tree gives you more perspective of the scene. Just an opinion.

Last edited:
200209 Viera Eagle Nest-6-5896-8-8.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Th photo is fantastic. My only question would be; is that cropped or what you had in the frame? I have 3 or 4 eagle nests around me and many are with the birds sitting on a branch. I find that sometimes, if I don't crop so tight and show more tree that adds to the interest of the photo. Sometimes, more tree adds to the photo. Good luck, excellent capture. See the 2 photos below. I like them both but the added tree gives you more perspective of the scene. Just an opinion.
Thanks - this was most definitely a crop. I can't remember the approximate percentage. I'll have to dig this photo up from the archives ;-) I'm almost positive this was smaller than a DX crop.

Back