Bald Eagle & Hawk

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DRC333

Supporting Member
Hello Everyone,

First post on the forum. I really enjoy seeing everyone's work and am looking forward to learn more from the group. Here are a couple of shots I have taken recently.
DSCF0238_DxO.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

DSCF0560_DxO.jpg

Thank you for looking. As always suggestions and feedback is appreciated.
Dave

The second image is my favorite but it's not a Northern Harrier. It's one of the buteo hawks-perhaps one of the widespread Red-tailed Hawks-but not knowing where the image was taken I'm not going to bet the farm on that.

The second image is my favorite but it's not a Northern Harrier. It's one of the buteo hawks-perhaps one of the widespread Red-tailed Hawks-but not knowing where the image was taken I'm not going to bet the farm on that.
Thank you for the comment. Shot was taken near Grand Junction CO. I moved here a couple of years ago from AZ. I‘m more familiar with Red Tails, Harris, Cooper and Black Hawks. It was not a Red Tail. Harriers and Red shoulder hawks are all new to me.

Here are a couple of more shots. While not sharp hope it helps in the proper ID. It didn't show the characteristic red tail which is why I did not think it was a Red Tail.

DSCF0556_DxO.jpg
DSCF0585_DxO.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0565_DxO.jpg
    DSCF0565_DxO.jpg
    912.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the proper ID. I am used to seeing light and dark morph red tails but they have always had some kind of red in the tail. Is this a juvenile or just another twist on a light morph?

I think this is a juvenile Red-tailed. That species is one of the most variable in plumage out there. One of the highlights each winter here in NE TX/ SW AR where I live, bird and photograph is the discovery of one of the dark western races 'calurus'. They have a rufous chest as well as tail and are absolutely gorgeous when the sun hits them just right.

I think this is a juvenile Red-tailed. That species is one of the most variable in plumage out there. One of the highlights each winter here in NE TX/ SW AR where I live, bird and photograph is the discovery of one of the dark western races 'calurus'. They have a rufous chest as well as tail and are absolutely gorgeous when the sun hits them just right.
That would be my guess, a Juvie.

Back