Bald Eagle In Flight

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Platalea ajaja

Supporting Member
Marketplace
This was a few weeks ago on the Barred Owl boat trip. We had an eagle in a cypress tree and when he took off I was able to grab a few shots. There was a piece of Spanish moss hanging down on the upper right side of the photo, but you could not see what it was connected to (of course it was the branch you see in the photo but connected outside of the photo....). I found that to be clearly distracting so I removed it. The little bit of branch in the photo, I contemplated removing it but decided not to. Even with my very rudimentary PS skills, it would be easy enough to remove, but it leaves nothing but blue sky background which tends to be a bit boring at best.

I decided to leave it as I felt it gives a bit more of a story to the photo. All input much appreciated.

2022-N-441.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Usually I tend to prefer images with both the animal and some other stuff (background), as it provides scale and depth to the image. On this occasion I will suggest that you crop the image to a broader format e.g. 16:9 to get rid of the branch in the top. The bird looks sharp and power-full, it can handle just to be against the blue sky

Usually I tend to prefer images with both the animal and some other stuff (background), as it provides scale and depth to the image. On this occasion I will suggest that you crop the image to a broader format e.g. 16:9 to get rid of the branch in the top. The bird looks sharp and power-full, it can handle just to be against the blue sky
I agree with everything. Whites look a tad too bright, and I’m not a fan of the pretty harsh light. Nice shot though!

Thanks for all the input. Actually did not consider removing the branch by cropping 16:9, that's a great suggestion, I've no doubt that would work better than simply removing it.

And yes, the light is pretty harsh, no doubt about that. I need to go back and look at the raw, see if I can bring in a bit more detail in the whites, agreed, they are a bit bright.

Thanks all. Appreciate it.

You should keep the branch. It puts the eagle in a context. Seeing this branch, we understand that the eagle was in a big tree and it gives a dimension to the bird. Removing the branch just gives another picture of an eagle being flying.

That's just my two cents ;)

Last edited:
Back