Bald Eagle late Fall

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

He was well hidden high in a tree, mid-morning sun. Sony A6400, 200-600mm G - f/6.3 1/800s ISO250
Eagle tree 8x10.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Welcome! You’ve got a beautiful bird there, as well as the foliage! The sharpness is very good, and the noise control looks spot on to me! Unfortunately the shooting angle is poor, you can’t really do much to control that in this situation, because the bird was too high up for a pleasing, eye level shot. The whites on the neck are completely blown out(too bright with no detail). It’s not really possible to fix that in this shot because they’re so bright, so next time use more exposure compensation to darken them down in the field. I also wouldn’t crop off the bottom of the bird’s tail.

Thnx BAL, and thank you for the comprehensive critique! I totally agree with your assessment. I shot this a year ago, before I knew about camera angle and blown highlights. I shoot manual now with auto ISO and use exposure compensation plus the "zebra" feature of Sony cameras to keep the hightlights in check.

Last edited:
Back