Banff, Lake Louise : JULY 25, 2024 SMOKE UPDATE

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MalcolmP

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Headed to Canmore, Banff, and Lake Louise in July. Any tips or recommendations for Wildlife or Landscape Photographic Opportunities would be much appreciated. Thanks!

When my wife and I were there over 20 years ago, some of my best landscape shots were taken just west of Banff at Vermillion lakes. No hiking needed. It could be a sunrise or a sunset location. Or good at anytime during the day.

Near Lake Louise, , we hiked the larch Valley trail. It begins at Lake Moraine, another great photo location. Check to see if you can drive to Lake Moraine. It might be a bus trip only location now due to popularity.

It was late Sept and snow and ice were present which added to the beauty of the Larch Valley.

If you drive from Banff to Lake Louise, take the old road, the Bow Valley parkway, not the fast highway. There are numerous wonderful photo ops from the old road.

Headed to Canmore, Banff, and Lake Louise in July. Any tips or recommendations for Wildlife or Landscape Photographic Opportunities would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Please be aware. Banff is very, very busy in summer and Parks Canada has placed a bunch of restrictions on access to certain locations. You now need to reserve ahead to access the Moraine Lake road and parking - it was overrun by visitors. Likewise, access to Lake Louise is often restricted on busy days - of which there are many.

As mentioned above, Vermilion Lakes - west side of Banff - is a great landscape spot for photographing Mt Rundle. As is Two Jack Lake - via the road to Lake Minnewanka on the north side of Hwy 1. For a downward view of Banff, especially at night, take the Mt Norquay road up the switchbacks to the viewpoint about 2/3 of the way up to the ski hill.

Consider taking the gondola up to Sunshine village ski area, about 20 mins west of Banff for spectacular alpine meadows, hikes and views of Mt Assiniboine. Likewise, the gondola up to the Lake Louise ski area, directly opposite the townsite, offers fantastic views of Lake Louise, the Victoria glacier, Mt Temple and the Bow valley - as well as Alpine hikes from the chalet. Make sure you pack a telephoto lens - 70-200mm + extender or a 100-400, to draw in the scenes.

Immediately west of Lake Louise, the Icefields Parkway up to Jasper is probably one of the most spectacular sight seeing drives in the entire world - but, again, incredibly busy this time of year. Also west of Louise about 20mins over the Kicking Horse pass is the turnoff to Takakkaw Falls, just before the town of field. One of the tallest waterfalls in Canada.

Finally, a couple of other suggestions for a spectacular drive, hikes and views are hwy 40 through Kananaskis and the Spray Lakes road accessed through a narrow pass directly south of Canmore. It’s gravel but easily passable by car with a few rough spots - especially on the climb. However it connects with hwy 40, so it’s a great loop to do in half a day.

This time of year much of the wildlife is in the high country, so no specific recommendations - if you hike carry bear spray and stay in a group.

if you plan to hike, use an app like Alltrails for countless trails - many are well maintained and relatively easy.

Last edited:
We drove up from Calgary and ended up in Jasper, much more wildlife there. Beautiful drive with lots of scenic stops. So if your plans haven't been finalized, you might consider going a bit further north. Also (at least at that time), many fewer people in Jasper.

We drove up from Calgary and ended up in Jasper, much more wildlife there. Beautiful drive with lots of scenic stops. So if your plans haven't been finalized, you might consider going a bit further north. Also (at least at that time), many fewer people in Jasper.

I totally agree with you: I was once in Banff and Jasper (in July) and Jasper was far better for wildlife than Banff...and both are excellent places for landscapes by the way...

So much to see in that region....

Icefields Parkway. Eye-watering scenery. https://icefieldsparkway.com/

Stop and visit Athabasca Glacier along the way. https://thebanffblog.com/athabasca-glacier-columbia-icefield/

Yoho National Park also has terrific scenery including the Kicking Horse Pass and the double spiral railroad tunnels:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/article/yoho-canada-park

Last edited:
Really beautiful area, scenery abounds everywhere. It has been a few years since I have been there but it is a wonderful destination.

The tree line is very low at this latitude so there is a lot of bare rock everywhere. It can be chilly you are pretty far north and high up in the mountains along the icefields parkway.

When my wife and I were there over 20 years ago, some of my best landscape shots were taken just west of Banff at Vermillion lakes. No hiking needed. It could be a sunrise or a sunset location. Or good at anytime during the day.

Near Lake Louise, , we hiked the larch Valley trail. It begins at Lake Moraine, another great photo location. Check to see if you can drive to Lake Moraine. It might be a bus trip only location now due to popularity.

It was late Sept and snow and ice were present which added to the beauty of the Larch Valley.

If you drive from Banff to Lake Louise, take the old road, the Bow Valley parkway, not the fast highway. There are numerous wonderful photo ops from the old road.

Thank you Joe. Appreciate the suggestions. I think Lake Moraine access is bus only - made a reservation first day they were available. Recognize Bow Valley Parkway from the guides and will take advantage of your suggestion. Thanks again!

Please be aware. Banff is very, very busy in summer and Parks Canada has placed a bunch of restrictions on access to certain locations. You now need to reserve ahead to access the Moraine Lake road and parking - it was overrun by visitors. Likewise, access to Lake Louise is often restricted on busy days - of which there are many.

As mentioned above, Vermilion Lakes - west side of Banff - is a great landscape spot for photographing Mt Rundle. As is Two Jack Lake - via the road to Lake Minnewanka on the north side of Hwy 1. For a downward view of Banff, especially at night, take the Mt Norquay road up the switchbacks to the viewpoint about 2/3 of the way up to the ski hill.

Consider taking the gondola up to Sunshine village ski area, about 20 mins west of Banff for spectacular alpine meadows, hikes and views of Mt Assiniboine. Likewise, the gondola up to the Lake Louise ski area, directly opposite the townsite, offers fantastic views of Lake Louise, the Victoria glacier, Mt Temple and the Bow valley - as well as Alpine hikes from the chalet. Make sure you pack a telephoto lens - 70-200mm + extender or a 100-400, to draw in the scenes.

Immediately west of Lake Louise, the Icefields Parkway up to Jasper is probably one of the most spectacular sight seeing drives in the entire world - but, again, incredibly busy this time of year. Also west of Louise about 20mins over the Kicking Horse pass is the turnoff to Takakkaw Falls, just before the town of field. One of the tallest waterfalls in Canada.

Finally, a couple of other suggestions for a spectacular drive, hikes and views are hwy 40 through Kananaskis and the Spray Lakes road accessed through a narrow pass directly south of Canmore. It’s gravel but easily passable by car with a few rough spots - especially on the climb. However it connects with hwy 40, so it’s a great loop to do in half a day.

This time of year much of the wildlife is in the high country, so no specific recommendations - if you hike carry bear spray and stay in a group.

if you plan to hike, use an app like Alltrails for countless trails - many are well maintained and relatively easy.
Thank you, Brian. Preparing for the crowds. Made reservations for the Banff Gondola and bus to Morraine Lake. Will check into Lake Louise Gondola. Appreciate the Icefields parkway and Hwy 40 suggestions. Thanks again.

I totally agree with you: I was once in Banff and Jasper (in July) and Jasper was far better for wildlife than Banff...and both are excellent places for landscapes by the way...
Thanks Ricardo & Agustin. I’m sensing a consensus on Jasper. Good to know there’s good reason to head that way to escape the people and enjoy the animals. Thanks, again

So much to see in that region....

Icefields Parkway. Eye-watering scenery. https://icefieldsparkway.com/

Stop and visit Athabasca Glacier along the way. https://thebanffblog.com/athabasca-glacier-columbia-icefield/

Yoho National Park also has terrific scenery including the Kicking Horse Pass and the double spiral railroad tunnels:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/article/yoho-canada-park

Thank you, Phil. Wonderful links to what I’m sure will be a wonderful experience! Thanks again.

Really beautiful area, scenery abounds everywhere. It has been a few years since I have been there but it is a wonderful destination.

The tree line is very low at this latitude so there is a lot of bare rock everywhere. It can be chilly you are pretty far north and high up in the mountains along the icefields parkway.
Thank you. Spend a lot of time in Rocky Mountain National Park so I appreciate your suggestion to pack cold weather gear. Probably buy Bear spray there. Probably not on TSA’s list of acceptable items! Thanks again!

If you have time I would suggest you drive from Jasper to Mount Robson on Highway 16 which is very scenic. There are some excellent hikes at Mount Robson which is about 80 miles west of Jasper. Much less touristy than the Banff area.

You may want consider Kananaskis Country . Hwy #40. You will need a park pass ( separate from the Banff/ National park pass). A little quieter, especially mid week. Waterton Park is spectacular. ~3 hrs south of Calgary. You can get there from K Country. Gravel
roads for the last bit. Frank Slide, Lundbreck Falls.
As mentioned, Banff, Lake Louise is very busy.

My wife and I were there last summer, and my favorite by far was Jasper and the drive between Jasper and Banff. Simply one of the most beautiful drives in the world. Jasper is much more charming than Banff, in my opinion. Fantastic views from the Jasper gondola. Have a great time!! Can't go wrong no matter what you do.

If you have time I would suggest you drive from Jasper to Mount Robson on Highway 16 which is very scenic. There are some excellent hikes at Mount Robson which is about 80 miles west of Jasper. Much less touristy than the Banff area.
Thanks, John. Definitely adding Jasper to my itinerary.

You may want consider Kananaskis Country . Hwy #40. You will need a park pass ( separate from the Banff/ National park pass). A little quieter, especially mid week. Waterton Park is spectacular. ~3 hrs south of Calgary. You can get there from K Country. Gravel
roads for the last bit. Frank Slide, Lundbreck Falls.
As mentioned, Banff, Lake Louise is very busy.
Thank you for the added suggestions. If not this time, I’ll put it on the list for next.

My wife and I were there last summer, and my favorite by far was Jasper and the drive between Jasper and Banff. Simply one of the most beautiful drives in the world. Jasper is much more charming than Banff, in my opinion. Fantastic views from the Jasper gondola. Have a great time!! Can't go wrong no matter what you do.
Thanks Rob. Definitely adding Jasper to the itinerary!

If you’re up for a 6 mile round trip hike with about 1200 vertical gain…there is a tea house up on the mountain. Start standing in front of the hotel facing the lake and head right then left to start around the lake and up the trail. Excellent food and views up at the tea house 3 miles/1200 feet later as well as a smaller lake with a small glacier dumping into it. And it’s all downhill back to the parking lot. Wife and I really enjoyed that hike. Ypu can see the tea house from the hotel but it’s up almost on top off to the right side of the main glacier at the far end of t(r lake. Both Louise and Morraine now have get a reservation and ride the shuttle in now I believe although maybe it’s only Morraine but Louise parking fills up early as well. Peyto Lake in Banff is also nice as the views of it are from above. And I second Jasper NP since you’ll be in the area.Louise is great if you get there early…but outside of the tea house you’ll get the same photos as 10,000 of your friends there…

July 25, 2024
Been in Canmore, Banff, and Lake Louise for a week during which the smoke has gotten progressively worse. This morning can’t see the mountains from middle of Canmore. This article explains why.
Luckily was here once before to appreciate the beauty without smoke. Very sad.

Jasper Smoke

Back