Battery / Power Bank recommendations + Mistfilter

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

the better devices will provide more combinations
IMG_2146.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Thanks for this one. Although I flicked through the camera manuals and searched in the Nikon Support Q&A I couldn't find anythink like this.
The good news is that with this minimum of 15W almost any USB-C charger should do, although a more capable one would accelerate charging.
The bad news is that in this case I am almost certain that the problem is my camera. It's a bit annoying because it used to work since I got the camera and now - after some time I didn't have to use the option it doesn't anymore ...

... but where's a problem there will be a solution... let's see what Nikon support comes up with.
After we have people with Z8 and Z9 freezing, I wouldn't be too astonished if there were some particular conditions where you can cause a permanent blockage of USB-C PD.
Power banks are basically batteries.. and batteries lose capacity over time. Maybe it longer has enough juice to charge your Z8?

I recently watched a video on YouTube where a photographer recommended having a power bank instead of multiple batteries. Then it struck me, of course, that makes absolute sense, specially when you have different camera models that use different batteries: Z50, Z6/8, D3400, Olympus TG, etc.

Any recommendation for a battery power bank that is strong enough to charge a Z8, but small enough to be portable?
I went with this one from Amazon Canada - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B096HBVLWV?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

One thing to watch for - don't go over 100 watt hours if you intend to travel by air with it. The FAA in the states - and as far as I know for other airlines like in Canada - has a limit of 100 watt hours per battery. Coincidentally :) the one I mention above is 99 watt hours - https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.gov/f...esources/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

So, John, are you saying that the Z8 only draws ~5.6 W to power it when using an external charger/powerbank? As I mentioned, one user found it would employ slightly > 10W to charge the battery.

I recently watched a video on YouTube where a photographer recommended having a power bank instead of multiple batteries. Then it struck me, of course, that makes absolute sense, specially when you have different camera models that use different batteries: Z50, Z6/8, D3400, Olympus TG, etc.

Any recommendation for a battery power bank that is strong enough to charge a Z8, but small enough to be portable?

On a different Topic, but same video mentioned above, the photographer mentioned using a Black Mistfilter for forest photography. Apparently it helps with the depth separation and gives it mystical look (similar to when it is foggy). Has anyone experience with Mistfilters. Apparently it also helps with portrait photography, which might come in handy when I photograph my kids in the woods..

Thanks and have a nice day.
A USB C power bank should support PD (power delivery)
And the cable should be too.
Anker and BlitzWolf make some reliable power banks.. 🦘

So, John, are you saying that the Z8 only draws ~5.6 W to power it when using an external charger/powerbank? As I mentioned, one user found it would employ slightly > 10W to charge the battery.
i am not clear about that reference. the numbers i trust there are “power delivery 15v @ 3a”, which, afaik is 45w? but perhaps i’m missing something. but what i do trust is each device will support voltage @ amperage combos and any combination shared by both devices should work. that is to say, it looks to me it settled on 15v @ 3a, but it doesn’t mean it won’t work on a lower setting too

The Z8 battery is more or less the same capacity as an iPhone and the Anker 20,000 one charges the iPhone 4 or 5 times. Make sure you get the one that has PD (power delivery). The anker one in #36 charges mine fine and the included cable is PD but I’ve longer ones available if I need them.

Back