If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Winston Churchill (Sir)

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Cape Town - Strandfontein Water treatment Plant - a popular place in Cape Town for bird watching. Adjacent is the Garbage dump. (Garbage is french for rubbish)

240114 FBNRS 151b.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

By chance, I'm not a "Mark/c/k/ys" ;) but, I'm French...

"(Garbage is french for rubbish)" : The French word for garbage or rubbish is "poubelle" or "ordures" or "dΓ©chets".

"Garbage dump" = "dΓ©charge publique"

Photo contests regularly offer a category "Relationship of man with nature". Your image would find its place there (y)

By chance, I'm not a "Mark/c/k/ys" ;) but, I'm French...

"(Garbage is french for rubbish)" : The French word for garbage or rubbish is "poubelle" or "ordures" or "dΓ©chets".

"Garbage dump" = "dΓ©charge publique"

Photo contests regularly offer a category "Relationship of man with nature". Your image would find its place there (y)
Thank you kindly

the garbage thing is a joke :)

That is a spooky looking shot, such a beautiful bird, in such a terrible environment. We mostly get Turkey Vultures around our dumps.
Thanks Ira. We unconsciously avoid "noticing" the dumps - until we photograph them.
The Dump is next to the water treatment plant - so the birds are at the water pans - not on the dump. Lots of seagulls on that dump

Nicely captured Elsa,
Drove past Strandfontein on a previous trip to the Cape last year and remember seeing all the gulls flying around from the highway.
Regards,
Gavin

Really interesting. If you have not considered it already, I would strongly encourage you to enter this in the next Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition (which will open for entries Oct-Dec 2024). There are a couple categories where I think this has a very good chance of placing (Urban Wildlife and Photojournalism or whatever they call that category).

Really interesting. If you have not considered it already, I would strongly encourage you to enter this in the next Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition (which will open for entries Oct-Dec 2024). There are a couple categories where I think this has a very good chance of placing (Urban Wildlife and Photojournalism or whatever they call that category).
Thank you kindly for the vote of confidence!- but I am not really one for competitions.