If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Steve

Admin
Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
I captured this last year along the Chobe River in Botswana, Africa. These While-Fronted Bee Eaters were coming back to this little perch time and again so I kept an eye on it hoping to catch something nice. I was mostly thinking of just a nice portrait, but sometimes nature gives us way more than we had hoped!

white-fronted bee eaters.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

It is a beautiful and not-so-common shot. If I remember correctly, the male typically takes the insect as a gift for the female.
It happens pretty often to see the male in flight with the female waiting on the branch, in very few times the opposite.
In your shot look like the male has an additional lover. :LOL:

I captured this last year along the Chobe River in Botswana, Africa. These While-Fronted Bee Eaters were coming back to this little perch time and again so I kept an eye on it hoping to catch something nice. I was mostly thinking of just a nice portrait, but sometimes nature gives us way more than we had hoped!

View attachment 56348
What a beautiful shot, nice moment of capture.

Oliver

Great image. Nature may have presented the opportunity, but you really nailed it.

great image. What a rare thing to capture. Brilliant!

That's way cool, Steve. Nice eye seeing the opportunity and great execution.

Great light and colors! Well done!

Stunning image, Steve. AND superb processing on this one, too.

Simply stunning image Steve and as always your PP'ing makes a great shot even better.

What a beautiful shot, nice moment of capture.

Oliver

Only one word: wonderful đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Magical! Love the feeling/emotion/comp!

Wow, the picture is ( fill in synonyms for great here)!

Thank you so much everyone! I really apperceive the comments - it was a wonderful moment :)

It is a beautiful and not-so-common shot. If I remember correctly, the male typically takes the insect as a gift for the female.
It happens pretty often to see the male in flight with the female waiting on the branch, in very few times the opposite.
Thanks!

I think this might be just after the gift was given, I'm not sure. (Like, he was just backing off). It happened pretty fast!

Awesome shot Steve! From your photos I find you have a natural instinct that tells you when to stick around for something special. I do remember your advise that when you find a good subject with good lighting and background and you feel you have a good shot, stick around and you might get something special! This is a great example.

He better get some extra flies to keep the girls happy.

Awesome shot Steve! From your photos I find you have a natural instinct that tells you when to stick around for something special. I do remember your advise that when you find a good subject with good lighting and background and you feel you have a good shot, stick around and you might get something special! This is a great example.
Thanks! It's really tough to know when to stay and when to go - it's always a risk. This one wasn't too difficult since the birds kept landing on the branch. Other times though, whew, it's a tough decision.

I like going over past photographs, it's a trip down memory lane.
Same here. In fact, I often don't even process my images for weeks or months after a trip. It allows me to step back emotionally and be more objective, but it's always fun to re-live those moments :)