Bee-Eaters BIF Field Tests with Z7, Z7 II, D850, D500, Sony A7R IV, Sony A1

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

@wassa1957 , thank you very much for reading. actually I bought D850 a few month ago 😄 deciding between Z7 II or D850 I choose a good reliable DSLR. I inherited Z7 from my partner, I am using it for about 3 years and interestingly I don't have any native lens! No one! I always thought: why should I buy Z-lens if I have also DSLRs where I can use it as well? ;-) I also inherited A7R (ILCE-I) from my partner and it feels like a walkman (sorry, Sony) But I like it and I liked Walkmans. I don't know if you know what I am talking about😂 . The mount of Sony was broken twice. I don't know of which material they made it. For me it is not serious. But my beloved Zeiss Macro-Sonnar 100/2.8 for Digital Contax N can work only with Sony-Mount (there is no adapter for Nikon).

A switch to Sony would cost me at least $40,000
that is a point, @Calson ! The Sony A1 is an excellent camera but I am still not sure if it worth to change to Sony. I like Nikon files... and other Nikon stuff. I am still convinced that good pictures depend on 80% of my photographic skills and not of my gear... And you are right, we buy and use camera for something special (BIF, landscapes, etc) and there are not many shots per year where speedy birds approaching the camera directly...

I broke the mount on my D850 when it slipped out of my photo backpack and hit the floor. It well only a couple feet but that was enough with the leverage of the 500mm PF lens to break the mount. The good news was that the mount took the hit and so once it was replaced the camera was good as new. Nikon designed the mount to break apart and protect the main body of the camera. Kudos to Nikon.

I am aware that the D850 is limited to 9 fps but frankly I seldom shoot 20 frames as I don't want to spend that much time reviewing a series of images that are nearly identical. I was happy to find the free FastSone Viewer (I did make a donation to the developer) which allows me to view 4 images at the same time with them each taking up a full quadrant of the screen. Not perfect but the best solution for fast editing I have found to date.

Back