Best alternative to Topaz AI

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I gave up Topaz as well because for everything they fixed they broke something.

For LRC, I am at the computer now an I am pasting an example. On my preset for importing I set masking to 100 which means sharpening is only applied to transition areas and I then back off from that meaning more sharpening is applied. The default is 0 so everything is sharpened. I am thinking of changing it to 80. In any event, it works very well for most cases.
View attachment 92319

If you use Photoshop this is a gem and a free action for it is included - Vivid Light Sharpening. Very easy to use and infinitely adjustable, including masking. If I take an image to PS, I am working it harder and this is what I use.
Thanks for the reminder about edge sharpening. Very useful. As for the video on vivid light sharpening, the guy talks as fast as an auctioneer and lost me in the first minute. A web page would be better than a video.

Thanks for the reminder about edge sharpening. Very useful. As for the video on vivid light sharpening, the guy talks as fast as an auctioneer and lost me in the first minute. A web page would be better than a video.
sorry about that. If you use PS, just download his action and try it. You adjust the guassian blur to change the sharpening.

sorry about that. If you use PS, just download his action and try it. You adjust the guassian blur to change the sharpening.
Usually what I have to do is make detailed notes while frequently rewinding the YouTube. I am not proficient at PS so his cursor scooting over the screen loses me right away. Not a fan of Youtube, but I'm quite impressed with all you folks who can watch one of these and come away with useful info.

I need to acquire some understanding before I have a need for his action.

Ooookay....
I take it back. Topaz Photo AI latest ver. IS SUPERIOR vs. all others. Even better than their older Sharpen AI.
I had a soft photo of a baby. DxO made a mess, and Nik 7 made a mess. Topaz Sharpen AI saved the face but only one eye, which was closer to the camera. Photo AI saved both eyes.
I need permission to post the picture. I will try to get it so you can judge for yourself.

Ooookay....
I take it back. Topaz Photo AI latest ver. IS SUPERIOR vs. all others. Even better than their older Sharpen AI.
I had a soft photo of a baby. DxO made a mess, and Nik 7 made a mess. Topaz Sharpen AI saved the face but only one eye, which was closer to the camera. Photo AI saved both eyes.
I need permission to post the picture. I will try to get it so you can judge for yourself.
Let's see...

Ooookay....
Yes they are improving things. My concern with them is for everything they fix, they break something and haven't seen the consistency so I stoped using them especially when I found Vivid Light Sharpen. Have you tried something like that on this image?

Yes they are improving things. My concern with them is for everything they fix, they break something and haven't seen the consistency so I stoped using them especially when I found Vivid Light Sharpen. Have you tried something like that on this image?
I got permission.
I will post the NEF hopefully tomorrow.

I've found that for any given photo you results with different software will vary. Sometimes one package will be amazing and another "interesting". It can be the opposite for a different photo. If it is a photo I really want to try to salvage I will experiment with different software, but most of the time it is just LR.

If I buy PureRaw, does it come with sharpening as well, or do I need PhotoLab, too?

Pureraw is to be used with other demosaicer than photolab and allows to get 2 importants things from photolab : denoising and lens corrections.
For now, last algorythm of DxO for denoising is in pureraw, photolab will get it in version 8 (the next one coming probably near end september, october).

I'm not sure I understand what Lens Correction does. Is it sharpening?

Lens corrections come from tests done on lens/cameras combinations. You'll get them only if your couple has been tested. Lot of are. There is a list of tested combinations on Dxo web site.
They are supposed to enhance the IQ results of your lens/camera models combination, when it works normally. They do not compensate problems like out of focus, motion blur or maybe the strange problem you've got one time without knowing why, when topaz tries to handle that. So don't hope to get sharper image with photolab or pureraw where image is "blurred". Instead imagine this as getting a better lens than you have for the same price.
Their modules handle sharpness (called softness I think), distorsion, aberrations, vigneting.
I would recommend to lower default value of 1 for sharpness (softness) to 0 for better starting point.

I'm not sure pureraw has as much parameters to tweak than photolab in this area.

I had a soft photo of a baby. DxO made a mess, and Nik 7 made a mess.

As I said above, photolab (or pureraw) lens corrections won't correct (sharpen) an image with a problem (out of focus, motion blur or something like this). They are supposed to get "the best" of your lens and camera combination when the shot is good.

PS: Photolab only displays most of those corrections when viewed at 75 % zoom minimum. Less than that, you can not see the preview of them. I don't know how pureraw4 manages this.

Last edited:
Pureraw is to be used with other demosaicer than photolab and allows to get 2 importants things from photolab : denoising and lens corrections.
For now, last algorythm of DxO for denoising is in pureraw, photolab will get it in version 8 (the next one coming probably near end september, october).

Lens corrections come from tests done on lens/cameras combinations. You'll get them only if your couple has been tested. Lot of are. There is a list of tested combinations on Dxo web site.
They are supposed to enhance the IQ results of your lens/camera models combination, when it works normally. They do not compensate problems like out of focus, motion blur or maybe the strange problem you've got one time without knowing why, when topaz tries to handle that. So don't hope to get sharper image with photolab or pureraw where image is "blurred". Instead imagine this as getting a better lens than you have for the same price.
Their modules handle sharpness (called softness I think), distorsion, aberrations, vigneting.
I would recommend to lower default value of 1 for sharpness (softness) to 0 for better starting point.

I'm not sure pureraw has as much parameters to tweak than photolab in this area.

As I said above, photolab (or pureraw) lens corrections won't correct (sharpen) an image with a problem (out of focus, motion blur or something like this). They are supposed to get "the best" of your lens and camera combination when the shot is good.

PS: Photolab only displays most of those corrections when viewed at 75 % zoom minimum. Less than that, you can not see the preview of them. I don't know how pureraw4 manages this.
Thank You. That is very useful info.

Regarding a RAW converter; I don't like Adobe, and I love NX...
NX isn't worth playing unless I don't need any normal post-work. I'm thinking about PhotoLab as a bridge gap.
As per Thom Hogan, PhotoLab's Raw converter does a better job compared to Adobe's ACR.

Here you go.
Enjoy resucing this image.
I did it with Topaz Photo AI (One version before the latest update)

Updated to include the fixed jpeg
I think this is the best use case for Topaz: it can really do a good job of saving an out of focus or blurry human face, at least if the shot is not a close up on the face. I went back after seeing this thread and retested with the latest version and I can't say that I am finding it saving faces any better than it did in the past, but in the past it did do a good job. I've not found it especially useful for wildlife outside of cases where a very minor improvement is required.

I think this is the best use case for Topaz: it can really do a good job of saving an out of focus or blurry human face, at least if the shot is not a close up on the face. I went back after seeing this thread and retested with the latest version and I can't say that I am finding it saving faces any better than it did in the past, but in the past it did do a good job. I've not found it especially useful for wildlife outside of cases where a very minor improvement is required.
I agree - I had a very old photo that had already be duplicated and was able to restore features that did not exist in the original. It was remarkably good - and much better than anything else I've found.

With animals that are extremely out of focus, I find the out of focus areas or soft areas are either turned to hair or feathers, or left soft. There is no halfway transition, so the areas it does not address look odd compared to the fine detail it restores.

Back