Best backup body for Z9?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I just got a Z9. While familiarizing with the new camera, I am looking for a second body that I can use as both a backup body and also for a general, not so specific photographic trip along with doing some casual 4K video (like a vacation trip etc). Another Z9 would be too big. Z8 would be costing too much for a less used body (although very nice). I plan to get an all purpose zoom (24-70 or 24-105) and also z180-600 in case running into some birds photo opportunity. So I hope this body‘s AF is good for at least static perching birds.

As the Z7iii/Z6iii may come out very soon, the body I am looking for also could be temporarily used until the new Z6/7 comes out. It could be dx or full frame body.

Could anyone suggest a good option for my case? Second hand bodies are easy to find here so I welcome for all suggestions. I try to use all Z lens so a z body would be preferred.

thank you very much,

Passakorn

I just got a Z9. While familiarizing with the new camera, I am looking for a second body that I can use as both a backup body and also for a general, not so specific photographic trip along with doing some casual 4K video (like a vacation trip etc). Another Z9 would be too big. Z8 would be costing too much for a less used body (although very nice). I plan to get an all purpose zoom (24-70 or 24-105) and also z180-600 in case running into some birds photo opportunity. So I hope this body‘s AF is good for at least static perching birds.

As the Z7iii/Z6iii may come out very soon, the body I am looking for also could be temporarily used until the new Z6/7 comes out. It could be dx or full frame body.

Could anyone suggest a good option for my case? Second hand bodies are easy to find here so I welcome for all suggestions. I try to use all Z lens so a z body would be preferred.

thank you very much,

Passakorn

I backed my Z9 with another Z9, but picking up the new Zf today as a possible alternative for those times I'd like to lighten the load. It'll have a 28/2.8 for starters.

On paper, the Zf checks the boxes.

If the Z8 is above what you are willing to pay, I think the answer is a Z6iii/Z7iii. I'd expect a price increase with those cameras coming in at $2499/3499 respectively. If they are released as expected, they would have Expeed 7 and similar AF performance to the Z9, so your primary and secondary AF controls would be similar. The Z6iii if it is 24 or 33 megapixels provides a smaller file and slightly better low light performance. You might see something extra with frame rate with a smaller file. And of course, AI based subject recognition is continuing to advance.

I've had several discussions about the related issues. My conclusion is the Z6ii/Z7ii and other pre-Z9 cameras are too different in their AF capabilities and control layout to be suitable backup cameras for side by side use. Certainly the Z6ii/Z7ii and even the Z6/Z7 are suitable as an emergency backup, but for side by side use you want cameras that work in a similar manner. For example, I don't want to be using a high performance camera and then having to stop and think AF Wide on the older camera works differently or my Fn button is programmed in a different manner. You might even find that on the Z9 you want to use the shutter release for AF but not on the older Z cameras because the AF performance is different.

For me, a backup camera not only ensures that I will not be without a camera if my primary camera breaks, but also allows me to have 2 cameras with 2 different lenses to allow quick switching of lenses when photographing and avoiding need to frequently change lenses. It is important that the 2 cameras be similar enough that I feel comfortable switching from one to the other.
So I have a pair of Z9s.
Other than buying a 2nd Z9, I feel the best solution would be to have an almost identical body style Z8. I definitely would not be happy with the current Z6/Z7ii. Maybe when the upgraded Z6/7iii comes out it would be another option.

Z8 IMO because in 98% of the time it’s essentially a baby Z9…and if both had been available at the same time back then I would have 2 Z8s because I could not care less about having a gripped body and would rather save the weight.…and because I think that the two will maintain feature parity except for things that are hardware or temperature or battery limited. Since budget is limited…a Z7II or III if we ever see one...but it works considerably differently and is much less capable for action or BIF work. It’s great at landscape and street and travel/walking around and I need something lighter today…but it isn’t a real good second body for wildlife shooters on rapidly moving critters from both a capabilities and it works differently POV. .

If the Z8 is above what you are willing to pay, I think the answer is a Z6iii/Z7iii. I'd expect a price increase with those cameras coming in at $2499/3499 respectively. If they are released as expected, they would have Expeed 7 and similar AF performance to the Z9, so your primary and secondary AF controls would be similar. The Z6iii if it is 24 or 33 megapixels provides a smaller file and slightly better low light performance. You might see something extra with frame rate with a smaller file. And of course, AI based subject recognition is continuing to advance.

I've had several discussions about the related issues. My conclusion is the Z6ii/Z7ii and other pre-Z9 cameras are too different in their AF capabilities and control layout to be suitable backup cameras for side by side use. Certainly the Z6ii/Z7ii and even the Z6/Z7 are suitable as an emergency backup, but for side by side use you want cameras that work in a similar manner. For example, I don't want to be using a high performance camera and then having to stop and think AF Wide on the older camera works differently or my Fn button is programmed in a different manner. You might even find that on the Z9 you want to use the shutter release for AF but not on the older Z cameras because the AF performance is different.
I would agree if the III models had as much of the Z8/9 features as possible…but from corporate standpoint that dilutes sales of the Z8 at least if you put in the sensor, processor, and EVF that’s probably doable at the 1K more than a Z7II body price…but then there really isn’t much of a differential between that Z7III and a Z8. I would look for a Z7III to hit maybe a $200 or $300 increase…and whether that can accommodate all of the newer hardware is questionable and you really need sensor, processor, and EVF to get what the Z8 does although maybe skip the EVF and limit to 15 FPS or whatever…but there’s still the “might be too close in performance to the more expensive model” issue and corporate they need to maintain some line distinction. Guess we will see what happens when it arrives.

z7iii to me would probably be a 61mp mechanical shutter camera. You skip all the real fancy stuff that stacked shutters enable, but it makes for a better landscape camera (and is still usable for wildlife, for the people who want it).

Hey Passakorn,
Given your needs, the Z50 might be a sweet choice. It's compact, versatile, and could serve as an excellent backup/general-purpose camera. Plus, it's a Z body, so your lenses will work seamlessly. And if you plan to upgrade when the Z6/7iii comes out, it's a good temporary solution.

It is hard to say how much I am willing to spend for now. I know it is a bit too much for Z8 and paying the full price for a 3 years old Z7ii is probably too much as well. I probably be happy to pay around $1-1.5K for a very temporary backup body now until the info of Z6/7iii is coming out and decide for a permanent backup body. Zf spec looks nice for a $2000 camera.

I guess I will have to see the spec of the Z6/7iii before I make a final decision. If the Z7iii is 61MP it would be a good option for me as I can benefit for a landscape, if AF is good enough for at least perching small birds in low light. I plan to have the Z180-600 for the casual trip so I could benefit a bit from the a ability to crop small birds too with either Z7iii or Z8. My main wildlife photo would be only birds.

Thank you vey much for all the comments.

I have spent a great deal of time with two dissimilar Nikon DSLR cameras where key controls were often in different locations and often reversed. It slowed me down in the field when using one with a prime lens and the other with a zoom lens. I also realized when I had the D500 and the D850 that a DX camera was not a good backup for a full frame camera.

For the Z9 camera my second camera is a second Z9. Now I would give some consideration to the Z8 camera. The Z7 II would be viable on paper but it would not be a true backup camera with the same capabilities of the Z9 primary camera. I would be more inclined to buy a used Z9 than a new Z8 or Z7 II camera for my own use. I like being able to standardize on the EN-EL18 batteries which started when I added the battery grips to my two D850 cameras. Very handy to only put two batteries in the single charger at night and being ready to go the next morning. Same applies to being able to use CFexpress cards in both slots of the camera.

thank you very much,

Passakorn
I ended up getting a used Z6II as backup to my Z9. The difference in controls doesn’t matter to me. Primary use is emergency backup, landscape, low light, family gatherings. If I could afford it, Z8 would’ve been my preferred choice.

Cheers,

George

It is hard to say how much I am willing to spend for now. I know it is a bit too much for Z8 and paying the full price for a 3 years old Z7ii is probably too much as well. I probably be happy to pay around $1-1.5K for a very temporary backup body now until the info of Z6/7iii is coming out and decide for a permanent backup body. Zf spec looks nice for a $2000 camera.

I guess I will have to see the spec of the Z6/7iii before I make a final decision. If the Z7iii is 61MP it would be a good option for me as I can benefit for a landscape, if AF is good enough for at least perching small birds in low light. I plan to have the Z180-600 for the casual trip so I could benefit a bit from the a ability to crop small birds too with either Z7iii or Z8. My main wildlife photo would be only birds.

Passakom, It is hard to give specific advice without knowing your use cases and style.

We know you have a Z9...What do you use it for?

We know that you don't want to afford a Z8.

You are willing to settle for a Z6ii/&ii as an interim choice. Maybe also the Z6/7 although most of my experience is with the ii's. I rented a Z7 once and it was as good as the D810 I had at the time, which means it is very good for static objects like birds.

I used a Z9/Z7ii combination professionally for about 18 months, often hanging them from each side using double slings. Somehow, and it surprises me, I was able to adapt to the different ergonomics and capabilities between the two cameras. Now I use a Z8/Z9 combination.

As a personal thing, I do not put too much value into higher-count sensors, particularly for landscape. I have an acquaintance who shoots landscapes with a 36 MPix camera (D810), shooting 2d panoramas and tiling them together in post. He prints wall-sized images on metal. The obsessed can go over them with a magnifying glass and they are glorious. Have an endless sunrise on the wall in your bedroom if you can imagine that. I have shot panoramas of murals on the side of buildings, hand-held, and reconstructed them easily in Lightroom.

I shoot with the Z6ii also and am always impressed with its performance in low light. I also find these lower-count, higher-ISO images easier to process. Sure, you can beat a high-count image into equivalency by pixel averaging and DeNoising, but it's more of a process when you're in a hurry. If there's more light, and you need to crop, then, of course, more pixels can be better (up to a point).

So, I just do not prioritize pixel count above about 45 MPix.

Probably a used Z7ii is best. This would match the image quality of your Z9. Many seem to be available these days as people "upgrade" to the Z8. If you get a good deal, it will serve as you wait for the anticipated Z6iii/Z7iii which will come any minute, as has been anticipated since the day the Zii's first came out. 😳

I would think anything less than full frame would not be appropriate...That involves different priorities not in evidence.

For anything other than a Z8 or Z9 backup, I would only consider a used camera. That's a good way to save money when a model is late in life. That's part of the point of a backup. The going rate dealers are paying right now for a Z7ii is around $1200-1400, and they are selling it for $2000. That means some people are selling a Z7ii for under $1500-1900 - and that's within your budget. The Z6ii is going to be cheaper by $500-700. So it's a matter of how comfortable you are buying used gear. If you are not comfortable with used gear from an individual, think about a refurbished camera. Now and then you can find great deals on refurbs.

Thanks for the comment. I am not a professional photographer. I use Z9 mostly for bird photography and may be some landscape. I plan to use the Z9 attached to the Z800PF for 80-90% of the time, but it would be nice to have another body attached to the Z180-600 when the birds are too close and I don’t have time to switch the lens. I also plan to use this second body, for more casual trip that I would take only a standard zoom and Z180-600 so smaller body is a plus for me. There is a big used market here too, I could get used Z6ii with in $1-1,5K and used Z7ii within $2K.

I am curious as there are very little comments on using Zf as a second/backup body to Z9. Besides higher price and lacking a comfortable handgrip, is there any other reasons for that?

Thanks for the comment. I am not a professional photographer. I use Z9 mostly for bird photography and may be some landscape. I plan to use the Z9 attached to the Z800PF for 80-90% of the time, but it would be nice to have another body attached to the Z180-600 when the birds are too close and I don’t have time to switch the lens. I also plan to use this second body, for more casual trip that I would take only a standard zoom and Z180-600 so smaller body is a plus for me. There is a big used market here too, I could get used Z6ii with in $1-1,5K and used Z7ii within $2K.

I am curious as there are very little comments on using Zf as a second/backup body to Z9. Besides higher price and lacking a comfortable handgrip, is there any other reasons for that?

The Zf just started shipping this week. I have two Z9s, picked up my Zf yesterday. Not enough time to play with it, but so far so good. It will probably replace one Z9 in my bag and I'll probably end up using it as the sole body for some projects.

I am also curious about the Zf. I don’t think it is much in the wild yet so there is not a wide user base of experience and reviews…Just previews.

I read the User Guide and scanned the Reference Guide and it look like it is largely a Z6iii. Z6ii sensor but with bolstered autofocus. Priced about US$2k. It has enhanced file formats, subject detection and Picture Controls (relative to the Z6ii). Has almost the same controls as the Z6ii except only one programmable button. It has no Joy Stick, but with better focus detection the need for this is reduced. If you look closely, it has Command and Sub Dials hidden amongst all the retro bling. Doesn’t seem to leave out much of anything.

It might be a good candidate, but maybe wait for it to actually be available and reviewed? Shouldn’t be long.

Added: It wouldn’t surprise me if a Z7iii came out with the same Zf capabilities, but preserving the Z7 form factor and controls.

Back