Best Bang For Buck Wildlife/Bird Destinations

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Your post feels judgmental

As a Female, traveling alone, Wandering around (usually in remote areas just before or after sunrise/set) a guide or group is essential for safety alone. Especially away from home where we aren’t familiar with the area.

In addition, the travel expenses for airfare and hotel (when one may have a fulltime day job and wants to get the most out of their limited time in the area ) a guide or tour makes sense.

any tour I’ve been on has never felt like a zoo experience to me. They feel adventurous, amazing and SAFE.
As I said, no offense was intended. I was expressing my opinion with that qualifyer. Please show us your images from the tours you have been on and maybe I'll have a change of heart seeing the results from your tours. I, and I am sure others, would love to see them.

I really enjoy going with a local guide. Costa Rica is a wonderfully diverse country with many ecosystems from rain forest to cloud forest, high elevations to sea level. I highly recommend contacting Dennis Atencio Valverde of Osa Photography. Steve has delegated his CR tours to Dennis now. But Dennis is licensed to guide everywhere in the country, can arrange accommodations, is more interested in helping you get a great shot than in taking his own photos, and is a great photographer in his own right. You will get great value for your money, and it's pretty easy and relatively less expensive to get there.
I can second this…Dennis is great.

Your post feels judgmental

As a Female, traveling alone, Wandering around (usually in remote areas just before or after sunrise/set) a guide or group is essential for safety alone. Especially away from home where we aren’t familiar with the area.

In addition, the travel expenses for airfare and hotel (when one may have a fulltime day job and wants to get the most out of their limited time in the area ) a guide or tour makes sense.

any tour I’ve been on has never felt like a zoo experience to me. They feel adventurous, amazing and SAFE.
Heck…as a male traveling alone I have some of the same concerns…and a solo woman is at even greater risk than I would be from sexual predators, bandits with weapons we would be similarly at risk. The purpose of a guide or workshop or whatever for me is they know where to go and how to find the critters in the local environment...for instance the common poo-too stick bird which the six people on our workshop would never have seen among the broken branches. And while I’m retired so time isn’t as big a deal…I still have far less local knowledge than they do. Just like folks here coming to FL for birds…living here I am a lot better equipped to recommend specific places based on what a person wants to see or can do physically and I’ve advised a decent number of folks who were planning trips.

Well Said. If you are on a tour with a local guide and it feels like being at a zoo, you have picked the wrong tour. For the tours I offer, you are paying to get a person who has lived in the area his entire life, is used to, and has the proper vehicle/safety gear to travel the backroads during winter, an intimate knowledge of the area, has gone through a licensing process with the Provincial Government to obtain a guiding license and area, never uses bait or any lure to attract the birds and wildlife, works closely with local biologists, ornithologists and researchers, and is also an award-winning and published wildlife photographer. I pride myself on providing a tour that puts the welfare of the subject 1st. Most times, my tour of a maximum of 3 people will be the only photographers at an Owl we are with. Here is a video I put together last winter. I went out for the day scouting for Snowy Owls for an upcoming tour.
Hi Walter,
Wondered what month this was?
Thanks
Richard

As I said, no offense was intended. I was expressing my opinion with that qualifyer. Please show us your images from the tours you have been on and maybe I'll have a change of heart seeing the results from your tours. I, and I am sure others, would love to see them.
I have gone on many guided tours around the world. A local guide helps one see things in the short amount of time I am visiting a particular location. Plus in a poor country one is supporting a local guide who often has no other way to make the same amount of funds. I can tell you of many excellent local guides (who often are great photographers) but since they are out all the time in a particular area, can help you get photos that you wouldn't get without months of preparation. In my "neighborhood", I wouldn't use a local guide but on a trip, can't imagine not. But if you have the time and abilities to find things on your own, more power to you.

No offense to all the tour/workshop guides and those that have the funds to pay them, but part of the fun is doing research and finding the wildlife (or any subject for that matter) yourself. Plus, I for one do not have 5-10k plus to pay someone to take me to the animals (or any subject). To me, that is no different than just going to zoo. Where is the adventure in paying someone that takes you to the animals and you photograph them? There is no research, no preparation, no planning, and no hunt for the animal you wish to photograph. That scenario does not make for a very satisfying story; probably makes for quick short story when someone asks, "Hey, that is a fantastic image. I would love to hear the story behind it." I paid this guy, he drove me to where the animals were, and I photographed them. That sure isn't a satisfying scenario to me. The journey is the reward and a middleman takes the journey out of the picture, pun intended. Again no offense intended to anyone.
Obviously you have not gone on a trip with photography tour guides and no one will fault you for that or say anywhere you go is like going to a zoo since you've mapped it out already, as if that makes a difference: I really don't think the animals care how we get somewhere. However someone chooses to travel should not be frowned upon as we are all different in our approach. As a rational individual I see no difference in who maps the trip or who drives on the trip as far as getting the shot. On no trip has an animal ever been simply waiting for me, waving it's furry little paw, and saying "so and so" said you'd be here to take a photograph of me...I'm here! I could only wish for that. I do have the money to go with guides and because they have intimate knowledge of the places they go and when the animals are there I benefit from that experience with them. I also don't have to spend hours of my time at home searching the internet for specifics on each animal I want to photograph and trying to figure out where they will be and when they will be there. Sometimes I do go to places that I know about without guides, the Central Valley wildlife refuges and Bosque del Apache, to name a couple because I'm familiar with those places and don't need anyone to educate me on the specifics of the place. It is a "satisfying scenario" to me to have all of the mundane details worked out so that I can simply focus on getting the shot. My journey is still rewarding and it is definitely less burdensome and less filled with the minutia of what boat goes where, where do the polar bears hang out, when do the puffins go to a certain place to nest, when do the foxes have babies, and on and on. Just because you don't use a guide does not mean that what you do is better nor does it mean you will get better shots, in most cases the end result is opposite.

I understand what you're asking for and I don't have a lot to add on destinations.

However, I have found my best destinations for wildlife and nature photography typically are within a couple hours drive of my house. The reason is I know my local wildlife, I know their patterns and on any given day or time of year, I have a pretty good idea what is out there, and what they tend to be doing. Just enough surprises to keep things interesting but, examples would be Warbler migration in April and May. go to forested areas along the Ohio and Miami rivers and there are dozens in the trees, in late October and November, whitetail deer rut is on, it's the best opportunity to photograph mature bucks since they lose all sense of self control during the mating frenzy. I could go on but you get the idea. Again, not trying to counter the great advice offered as destinations but I did want to point out we frequently forget the wildlife opportunities in our back yard. Remember, what is exotic to us, is just common everyday wildlife to a person who lives there.
Bingo!! I to live in SW Ohio and have the same idea as you. We have a bobcat living in the valley across the street from my house and hunting in the land next to me. I've seen his prints and heard him but have never seen him. I also shoot the owls during the fledgling season. Eagles are definitely here feeding in the large lake behind my house and have seen a couple osprey doing this also. Lots of hummingbirds and swallows. Swallows are tuff to get in-flight. And don't forget the wild turkeys.

Bingo!! I to live in SW Ohio and have the same idea as you. We have a bobcat living in the valley across the street from my house and hunting in the land next to me. I've seen his prints and heard him but have never seen him. I also shoot the owls during the fledgling season. Eagles are definitely here feeding in the large lake behind my house and have seen a couple osprey doing this also. Lots of hummingbirds and swallows. Swallows are tuff to get in-flight. And don't forget the wild turkeys.
I live in Northern Kentucky about 12 miles south of the Ohio River. Not a “grand landscape” area but plenty of wildlife and intimate landscapes. Love the hills and creeks in our region.

Back