Best CFexpress card brands/models?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have never had a Delkin Black get hot in my Z8. Warm, maybe, but not hot. Where it does get hot is in my Delkin card reader when I am offloading to my MacBook. I could keep my coffee warm then.

I've purchased a ProGrade Cobalt 4.0 1.3 TB card wth a matching USB 4.0 reader enclosure. Absolutely superb and, I'm sure, future-proof as well. It has minimum write speed of 2800 MB/s.
I bought a couple of Prograde Gold CFe 512 gb 4.0 cards. They work well in my Z9 and Z8. I am happy with them. But they are not faster than my 2.0 Delkin Black and Prograde Cobalt cards in camera. Roughly equivalent in my limited, non-scientific tests (discussed in another thread). Not sure about temperature — I have had no issues so far in either the Z9 or Z8.

Could in camera write speed change with a firmware update? I don’t know.

Why did I buy them? The price and capacity was attractive. They work well now in my Z9/Z8; they may be faster to upload on my computer with a 4.0 reader; and maybe, at some point, I will have a camera that takes advantage of 4.0 write speeds (would be great if that were a Z9 or Z8 with a firmware update).

My other cards are all 2.0 Delkin Black (128 and 325 gb) and Prograde Cobalt (325 gb). Happy with them too.

Last edited:
True, and personally I would spend the extra $25. I was merely suggesting that, in Replytokens use case (Z 6, single shot) any inherent flaw would be a non-issue.

Alan
I will probably spend the difference since it is only $25.00. And I am assuming that I will not have any heat issues regardless of which card I select since I am not shooting bursts or video.

--Ken

I bought a couple of Prograde Gold CFe 512 gb 4.0 cards. They work well in my Z9 and Z8. I am happy with them. But they are not faster than my 2.0 Delkin Black and Prograde Cobalt cards in camera. Roughly equivalent in my limited, non-scientific tests (discussed in another thread). Not sure about temperature — I have had no issues so far in either the Z9 or Z8.

Could in camera write speed change with a firmware update? I don’t know.

Why did I buy them? The price and capacity was attractive. They work well now in my Z9/Z8; they may be faster to upload on my computer with a 4.0 reader; and maybe, at some point, I will have a camera that takes advantage of 4.0 write speeds (would be great if that were a Z9 or Z8 with a firmware update).

My other cards are all 2.0 Delkin Black (128 and 325 gb) and Prograde Cobalt (325 gb). Happy with them too.
No, the PCIe 3.0 4 Lane has a limit of 1.8GB/s and that's a hardware limitation. Nothing a firmware update can do for that.

Back