Best hard drive format for photos on external SSD?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Matt N

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I just picked up two Samsung T7 Shield 4TB drives.
  • My plan is to take them on trips with me and use them as redundant drives to store my photos until I get home.
  • I have a MacBook Pro M1 laptop.
  • It's possible that at some point I will store the lightroom catalog on them and use one as the primary location for my photos for editing, but initially it will just be to store the photos until I narrow them down and I work on them from my internal drive.
  • I don't ever plan to use them on a Windows PC....just my mac.
What's the best file system to format as? APFS?
Any other tips to get me started with them?

I am by no means an expert on this but I just redid my computer setup and had to reformat a couple drives. I think I was told APFS was better because it works better with some backup programs.

Someone who knows more than I do will undoubtedly speak up here.

I just picked up two Samsung T7 Shield 4TB drives.
  • My plan is to take them on trips with me and use them as redundant drives to store my photos until I get home.
  • I have a MacBook Pro M1 laptop.
  • It's possible that at some point I will store the lightroom catalog on them and use one as the primary location for my photos for editing, but initially it will just be to store the photos until I narrow them down and I work on them from my internal drive.
  • I don't ever plan to use them on a Windows PC....just my mac.
What's the best file system to format as? APFS?
Any other tips to get me started with them?
Definitely APFS if you are using a Mac with a SSD.

Back