Best Kit lenses for nature Photography (Wildlife and Landscape)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

For myself, I decided to go with the F/4 zooms because I don’t need the extra light gathering of F/2.8 for landscapes and would rather have the lighter, more compact lenses. I have the 14-30mm F/4 and 24-70mm F/4 with the 24-120mm F/4 ordered. They are really excellent overall. I have read the 24-120mm is slightly better than the 24-70mm F/4 but haven’t tried it yet. The F/2.8 versions are a little sharper according to information I have seen, but I am really impressed with the F/4 lenses. If you shoot nightscapes, you might prefer having the larger apertures. I assume that is what the 20mm F/1.8 is for? I have not tried that lens so cannot comment on it. My opinion is the F/4 options are the way to go unless you plan to use them for night sky work or also portrait, weddings, or other needs were you would benefit from the larger apertures.
Apart from the 14-30mm - I have those lenses.
Although a good lens the 24-70mm f4 is sharper than the 24-120mm.
I also have the 14-24 24-70 and 70-200 in f2.8 and they are great but heavy. And its difficult to see if they are any sharper than the f4 versions.
If I couldn't claim the money back through tax then I would have bought the f4 versions.
I only have the old G version of the 20mm f1.8 and its a fantastic lens. I know the new 20mm Z lens is better but its hard to imaging how much.🦘

Apart from the 14-30mm - I have those lenses.
Although a good lens the 24-70mm f4 is sharper than the 24-120mm.
I also have the 14-24 24-70 and 70-200 in f2.8 and they are great but heavy. And its difficult to see if they are any sharper than the f4 versions.
If I couldn't claim the money back through tax then I would have bought the f4 versions.
I only have the old G version of the 20mm f1.8 and its a fantastic lens. I know the new 20mm Z lens is better but its hard to imaging how much.🦘
Thank you Roy for your comment, I appreciate it!

Reactions: Roy
Back