Best Low Angle Pod for low shots

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Mike Delgado

Supporting Member
Marketplace
There's a few out there just wondering for the few that uses them which one do you use?

Naturescapes
Kirk Enterprises Low angle pod
Lens Coat Ground pod

Thanks
Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 7.47.28 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 7.47.46 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 7.48.01 PM.png

There's a few out there just wondering for the few that uses them which one do you use?

Naturescapes
Kirk Enterprises Low angle pod
Lens Coat Ground pod

ThanksView attachment 84548View attachment 84549View attachment 84550
I use the Naturescapes ground pod. It's easy to slide it along the ground, and I can attach a carabiner and hang it from my backpack. Usually I mount my trusty Nest gimbal head on it. Most of my ground level photography is nesting shorebirds.

I made my own from an aluminum frying pan that my wife retired because the non-stick coating was getting scratched. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the center and use a male 3/8" "sex bolt" which has a very flat head with a hex socket. Although I could use it with my gimbal, I usually have a ball-head on it. Actually I've used it more often with the concave side down when photographing wildflowers and fungi than I have with the convex side down for waterfowl. The frying pan had been headed for the metal recycling bin so it was free, the washers I used for spacers I'd had in a parts drawer, so my only cost was the bolt -- oh, I already had the ball-head which had been living in a drawer ever since I bought the gimbal.

I made my own from an aluminum frying pan that my wife retired because the non-stick coating was getting scratched. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the center and use a male 3/8" "sex bolt" which has a very flat head with a hex socket. Although I could use it with my gimbal, I usually have a ball-head on it. Actually I've used it more often with the concave side down when photographing wildflowers and fungi than I have with the convex side down for waterfowl. The frying pan had been headed for the metal recycling bin so it was free, the washers I used for spacers I'd had in a parts drawer, so my only cost was the bolt -- oh, I already had the ball-head which had been living in a drawer ever since I bought the gimbal.

Nice! I did something similar. I bought a large frying pan from Goodwill for $2 and removed the handle. I then bought a drill bit, and a threaded bolt. I attached my monopod tilt-head to it, and voila, a cheap groundpod.

I use the Naturescape ground pod. It works well - as long as you are actually willing to get down to ground level. As I get older that's more of a question mark. One of the uses I have is when I am doing macro or close up work on wet rocks with puddles. The frying pan approach works well for sand or snow, but is not as good an option on rocky surfaces.

Not sure how many 3D printers are among this crowd, but has anyone ever 3D printed their own? I'd rather have a plastic one than metal like the DIY frying pan method and it seems like an easy enough design to create

I use the Naturescape ground pod. It works well - as long as you are actually willing to get down to ground level. As I get older that's more of a question mark. One of the uses I have is when I am doing macro or close up work on wet rocks with puddles. The frying pan approach works well for sand or snow, but is not as good an option on rocky surfaces.
I have issues with my neck so can't lie down and shoot in prone position. So I get down on my knees and flip the screen out. It takes a little practice to shoot that way. But once you get used to it you can do it impromptu without a pod.

Bean bag works on rocks.

I use a plastic cutting board with a 1/4-20 stainless bolt inserted. A big advantage is that I can decide how large a base I want and it has a built-in handle that makes it easy to carry along with the attached ball head in the field. Being white is can also be used to reflect more light at a subject or can be used as a flag to provide instant shade for a subject.

Cutting board.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Hah! For me, the getting down & staying down is the easy part. The getting up - well that's an entirely whole 'nuther thing! You are right about the sand & snow vs rocky surfaces. I've never tried to use it on that.

I just use my Really Right Stuff tripod because it has no center column and the legs spread wide enough to get camera almost to ground level.
My tripod does the same when the center post is removed. However, I find the ground pod much easier for those really low shots when I need to move around rather than stay in one spot. Tonight, I'll be shooting Burrowing Owls and my ground pod will stay in the car. The tripod will be my go-to tool for tonight's task. The owls at this particular burrow tend to stay pretty much in one spot.

What heads do you all use for your ground pods? My ball head adds about 4" of height and I think my gimbal head adds a little bit more than that. For now, I was thinking of using a leveling base I have lying around, which only adds 1-2" of height, but it only has about +/- 15 degrees of tilt available.

What heads do you all use for your ground pods? My ball head adds about 4" of height and I think my gimbal head adds a little bit more than that. For now, I was thinking of using a leveling base I have lying around, which only adds 1-2" of height, but it only has about +/- 15 degrees of tilt available.
Most of the time I use my Nest gimbal head & it gets me low enough. If I need to get lower, I remove the head, flip the ground pod over & just set the camera right on the overturned ground pod. Of course, you need to wash or brush the sand, dirt, or snow off first. I just realized that I shot my avatar on this site using my Nest on my Naturescape. I was lying on my stomach in a tidal pool.

I use my ball head most of the time, it's between three and four inches tall; my gimbal would put the lens higher. If I wanted to get lower I'd use the ball head that I use on my version of a Platypod when using my macro lens to photograph wildflowers, that ball head's a Neewer GM-LO28-DK 28mm Low Profile Tripod Ball Head (neewer.com/products/neewer-professional-28mm-low-profile-tripod-ball-head-360-degree-panoramic-rotating-with-bubble-level-66600796). However, I use Olympus cameras and lenses and I'm not at all sure that ball head would handle large cameras with telephoto lenses.

I have the Naturescapes Skimmer Ground Pod and I absolutely love it. It's lightweight and extremely durable (I don't think I could destroy it without using power tools). I keep it in the laptop compartment of my Gura Gear backpack (Kiboko 22L+).

Exactly right. I did the same. I still have to use it, though. I have plans for it this summer for the loons on the lake at the cottage.

IMG_6983A.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I've never really had a use for one, but this video popped up on my feed this morning:

I always thought paying $100 for a piece of plastic was stupid, when you could make so many easy ones as others have said (cutting board, frying pan, wood block, etc.). But from a functionality perspective, it is worthwhile to have something portable and lightweight - which most of the DIY solutions tend not to be.

So I bit the bullet and tried the $41 one from the video above. It's supposed to be similar to the $100 naturescapes skimmer.

I'll have a spare Leofoto PG-1 gimbal, or if I need to get lower I can use my Acratech Long Lens head

I use the base of this...

Works like a charm.
Best part? Free with the monopod.

Get yourself some kneepads. I don't go out without them. Too easy to miss shots when all it takes is dropping to one knee.

Back