First Results using a Ground Pod

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

NorthernFocus

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Made myself a ground pod today and took it out for a trial. Found a willing subject in this willet.

1)
p1375566298-6.jpg

2)
p1375566296-6.jpg

3)
p1375566308-6.jpg

4)
p1375566314-6.jpg

The pod.
20230105_051401.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
I bought a ground pod several years ago, but I'm ashamed to say I've never used it.
The point of view you get is undoubtedly perfect for some types of subjects, and your excellent photos are proof of that. (y)

Outstanding Dan. Love that eye level perspective.
Thanks, Rick. Yes the low perspective makes a big difference.

Dan, these are phenomenal! Details on the ground pod?
Thanks, Mike. I just got a plastic serving plate at Walmart. Picked up a 3/8 x 1in - 16tpi stainless bolt, two nuts, and two fender washers from Home Depot. I already had a Jobu gimbal. Total cost less gimbal was $6. I had planned to us a large frisbee but now I don't think it would have been stiff enough. The plate is hard plastic and it flexes a good bit. What I really want to try is a plastic wheel from a kiddie tricycle etc. Though this rig has the advantage of being light enough to lift the whole thing up and shoot handheld if the need arises. Pic of the rig below.

Great images. Which ground pod do you have?
Thanks, Rich. I made it myself per above description and pic below.

I bought a ground pod several years ago, but I'm ashamed to say I've never used it.
The point of view you get is undoubtedly perfect for some types of subjects, and your excellent photos are proof of that. (y)
Thanks, Marco. In the past I tried other means of support but never bothered with a pod. Finally found the inspiration to do so.

20230105_051401.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Nice shots.

I used an old skillet, removed the handle and drilled a hole in the center. In a similar style to Dan I can mount my gimball on top of it.
Gret thing about it is that it moves nicely in the sand, as it doesn't "bite" but glides.

Well, in theory, as I have not used it in the sand yet :)

Nice shots. I looked up ground pods a few months back but did not buy one, I think this has motivated me to make the purchase. I can't do a DIY approach.

Great shots Dan, I was thinking of making one also, but I hadn't got around to doing it yet. Having that vantage point can make for some great photographs.
Yours turned out great, the color even matches;)

Looking good!

I recently bought a groundpod as well (mainly for use on an upcoming trip), but haven't tested it yet.
Thanks, Jochen. I'd recommend you practice with it a bit before your trip.

Nice shots.

I used an old skillet, removed the handle and drilled a hole in the center. In a similar style to Dan I can mount my gimball on top of it.
Gret thing about it is that it moves nicely in the sand, as it doesn't "bite" but glides.

Well, in theory, as I have not used it in the sand yet :)
Thanks. I was going to use an aluminum pan but am not home and don't have access to a drill. That will likely be v2.0.

@NorthernFocus A picture of the beast please?
Sorry. Said I was including a pic but forgot to do so. Posted in the post above and I'll just add it to the OP as well.

I love the low to the ground perspective; a very nice series, but that 3rd image is my favorite by far. Well done!
Glad you enjoyed the shots, John.

Excellent presentation! Meeting birds on their level simply works.
Thanks, Chuck. Yes eye level with them makes a huge difference.

Great shots! Just love shore birds shot at their ankle level :) And you nailed it! And Nice DIY work.
Thanks, Steven.

Great shots Dan! When you use the ground pod do you lay flat on the ground or use the tilt screen and kneel?
Thanks for commenting, Roy. Tilt screen. I've got a neck problem that precludes my lying on my stomach and looking up. That's why I've not used a ground pod until now. Tried using tilt screen with DSLR but live view just wasn't quick enough for subjects like this.

Nice shots. I looked up ground pods a few months back but did not buy one, I think this has motivated me to make the purchase. I can't do a DIY approach.
Thanks, for commenting. I highly recommend it. Rather than the plastic I'd recommend a trip to Goodwill to see if you can find a cheap aluminum frying pan. That's going to be my first revision.

Great shots Dan, I was thinking of making one also, but I hadn't got around to doing it yet. Having that vantage point can make for some great photographs.
Yours turned out great, the color even matches;)
Thanks, Ira. It adds another tool to the kit.

Great photos. My ground pod began life as an aluminum frying pan, the coating was worn and scratched so it retired as a frying pan got a new job as a ground pod. I've used it "upside down" so it doesn't move easily more than I've used it as a typical ground pod. Although I've mounted my gimbal on it, I use it more often with a ball head since that takes up less space in a pack.

Great photos. My ground pod began life as an aluminum frying pan, the coating was worn and scratched so it retired as a frying pan got a new job as a ground pod. I've used it "upside down" so it doesn't move easily more than I've used it as a typical ground pod. Although I've mounted my gimbal on it, I use it more often with a ball head since that takes up less space in a pack.
Thanks, Woody. Yes an aluminum pan is next.

Such an intimate portrait from his level. You've inspired several including me to try this.

Ill have to look at my gimbal. Trying to visualize if the rim of a frying pan would limit vertices movement much?
Glad to be of service. If you use a typical frying pan of at least 8-10in diameter I don't think the sides will be a problem.

Back